Solution for missing album art

Chen Vivi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got my htc 8s and imported my music to the phone, and I came across the missing album art problem just like in this article
http://www.windowscentral.com/missing-album-art-windows-phone-8
It seems like no one has mentioned what I've found, so I'll just post here .

After some research, I realized it's due to the problem of ID3 tag.
For the people who don't know what ID3 is, it is an information tag embedded in your music/mp3 files.
It contains cover/album art, artist name, genre etc, and it has few different versions like ID3v1, ID3v2(2.3,2.4)

Due to various source of music, ID3 versions for the files could be quite mixed up(mine is),
and apparently wp8 seems only recognize ID3v2(2.3) for the album art, so if your mp3 file does't have v2.3 tag, it'll just show up grey.

To see or edit ID3tag for your music files you'll need some special softwares. The one I'm using is called "mp3tag."
Just simply add v2.3 tag to your music before importing, the album art will be showing up on the phone.
If it is missing or you wanna change the picture, it can be done by manually adding or editing.

Voila, problem solved.

Last edited:

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone - I had the same problem. I just loaded up the phone with songs using Windows media player to sync. The phone shows up as a device in the Media player, and I update the album info just before syncing. Worked like a charm and I didn't need the tag editor.

On another note, I have four Windows 8 devices, and the cloud sync works beautifully (and is a huge bonus on the Surface Pro). On the Lumia 920, not so much! I have the "allow cloud music sync setting" ticked, but no cloud music is available. Checked the forums and it seems you need the XBox Music Pass to cloud sync on WP8 phones. Seems kind of counterproductive to me! Anyone know if this will be addressed in future app updates?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss