CNBC: Microsoft Prepares U-Turn on Windows 8

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
As reported on CNBC.com today

Microsoft Prepares U-Turn on Windows 8
Published: Tuesday, 7 May 2013 | 2:00 AM ET
By: Richard Waters

Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca Cola's New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago.

"Key aspects" of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tammy Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: "The learning curve is definitely real."

Analysts warned that changing course would be a significant admission of failure for Steve Ballmer, chief executive, who called the October launch of Windows 8 a "bet-the-company" moment as Microsoft sought to respond to the success of Apple'siPad.

"It's a horrible thing for this to happen to your flagship product ? he'll take a hit for that," said Mark Anderson, an independent tech analyst. "But he's also responsible for a renaissance inside the company. There's a level of risk and creativity going on that would never have happened two years ago."

Richard Doherty, analyst at tech research firm Envisioneering, said: "This is like New Coke, going on for seven months ? only Coke listened better." Coca-Cola dropped its New Coke formula in response to a consumer backlash less than three months after launch.

Windows 8 was an ambitious attempt to update the personal computer for the tablet era by moving to a new touchscreen interface based on colorful tiles, hiding the "desktop" launch screen familiar to white collar workers and consumers around the world.

The combination PC and tablet software was widely panned by reviewers and has been blamed by some analysts for worsening the slump in sales that has rocked the PC industry. Even before its launch, Tim Cook, chief executive of Apple, said Windows 8 would be like combining a toaster and a fridge ? something that, while technically possible, was "probably not going to be pleasing to the user".

Ms Reller refused to reveal details of the changes Microsoft would make to Windows 8. However, the clamor from reviewers has become overwhelming for a return to a more familiar PC interface. Ms Reller said PC users had faced difficulties adapting to the new software.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The story doesn't seem to really say anything. At least it doesn't bring anything from any kind of reliable source. The company announced they sold 100 million licenses for Windows 8. None of these stories have a foot in reality. Beyond that, what real learning curve? If you cannot get a mouse click on a tile, you probably shouldn't be using a computer.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Will agree with you there Jazmac. The facts are windows 8 hit windows 7 sales figures with a difference of 9 days. All that was stated by a head of marketing is that they are making changes and the analists (intentional misspelling) and journos have jumped on it saying we told you so windows 8 is rubbish.

We all know changes are afoot in the form of blue but none of those changes have been detailed and agreed by MS.

Its amazing that this story surfaces the same time as the sales figures - I know which article will get more press and it wont be the positive one.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's rubbish. Nothing I've seen in beta W8B builds leads me to believe MS is shifting course. If anything the opposite is true. W8B is adapting more concepts directly from WP8.

MS did screw up some things with W8, it does need improvements, but the basic strategy isn't changing.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree this seems to contradict what we are hearing elsewhere. But it was on CNBC and was quoting some industry analysts. Thought I'd share.

As far as the users who can't learn the new UI: That's a bad position to take. People need to stop taking the position that people are "stupid" if they don't like the new dual UI on the desktop. Even if they are "stupid", doesn't matter. you want to sell product to stupid people too. In fact, that's how you make a lot of money because most people in this world are "stupid" relative to the folks probably on this site.

Seems they realize "Houston, we have a problem", with the new touch optimized UI for the desktop. It's not a disaster when I talk to my customers, but they need to tweak it to improve the flow for desktop users. It's a little disjointed going between desktop and tiles. I think MSC realizes that now and I'm sure that is what they will be addressing with Blue.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The story doesn't seem to really say anything. At least it doesn't bring anything from any kind of reliable source. The company announced they sold 100 million licenses for Windows 8. None of these stories have a foot in reality. Beyond that, what real learning curve? If you cannot get a mouse click on a tile, you probably shouldn't using a computer.

From the article:
"Key aspects" of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tammy Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: "The learning curve is definitely real."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Typical anti-MS BS story. Tami Reller didnt say they were reversing course, just going to listen to feedback and try and make changes to make the OS more usable and functional. If any twit is actually trying to spin this as MS somehow reversing their push for the Modern UI, they are absolutely fooling themselves.

And what is this "clamor from reviewers" all about? Arent they supposed to be technically proficient enough to understand how Windows 8 works? Or are they referring to the same idiots who will try and open huge PS files on an Atom PC or compare the battery life of a Surface Pro to an ipad and complain it doesnt last as long?

Idiots, all round.:angry:

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If any twit is actually trying to spin this as MS somehow reversing their push for the Modern UI, they are absolutely fooling themselves.

Yes the headline of "U-Turn" was just journalism 101 trying to get attention from a headline. No "U-Turn" is coming :) However, I hope it IS true that MS realizes they have a problem. The issue isn't that the UI is inappropriate for the Desktop user. it's that it isn't complete. I'm sure MS realizes that even before they released W8. This is how MS always operates. Their RTM is really a final beta. The OS will mature and the holes will be filled in the coming updates. Just hope they do it sooner rather than later. They don't need bad press

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont have any issues with Windows 8. There's nothing wrong with it. People whining about a start button, etc etc. People just love to cry about something.
Windows 8 can do anything Windows 7 can and then some.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The story doesn't seem to really say anything. At least it doesn't bring anything from any kind of reliable source. The company announced they sold 100 million licenses for Windows 8. None of these stories have a foot in reality. Beyond that, what real learning curve? If you cannot get a mouse click on a tile, you probably shouldn't using a computer.

Boom

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
From the article:

I've read bloggers from "respected" websites say the same thing and in my read, it is from the same camp of people who either never liked Balmer, still cheesed off about Windows Vista or smug users of android. What Keys? Missing start button?, ModernUI? It doesn't really say. Nor does Tammy. It is inferred from the story like she agrees but she doesn't really say much does she?
Yes there is a learning curve. There is ALWAYS a learning curve. Its a computer and a new OS. You don't know anything about it until you learn it. Period.

I maintain, if people cannot click a tile labeled Desktop they should not be using a computer. And NO I don't believe a computer should be dumbed down to the point that turns it into something equal to a product developed by Playskool for 2 year olds. If you want a no-thinking brainless platform, get an Nexus 7. It requires NO THOUGHT whatsoever. Its mostly pictures and facebook.
If you have a brain, Microsoft Windows and/or Apple OSX is where you belong.
In the past, it was a simple question of how to get things done on a computer. Now, thanks to android, we have to cater to those that can't refuse to believe the problem is of their own making. That my friend is a bridge too far.

100 million + Windows 8 licenses says I'm right.

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes the headline of "U-Turn" was just journalism 101 trying to get attention from a headline. No "U-Turn" is coming :) However, I hope it IS true that MS realizes they have a problem. The issue isn't that the UI is inappropriate for the Desktop user. it's that it isn't complete. I'm sure MS realizes that even before they released W8. This is how MS always operates. Their RTM is really a final beta. The OS will mature and the holes will be filled in the coming updates. Just hope they do it sooner rather than later. They don't need bad press

It's not surprising a few older things would return to Windows down the road. They took some bold steps with the UI of Win8. Maybe a step or two too far for most mere mortals. It falls in line with the 80% rule. (search for the 80% rule in my previous posts. I don't feel like writing it out again).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans