Is there any hope of us EVER seeing NFC being used for mobile payments in the near future...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So for me, Windows Phone is nearly 100% perfect. I would like some cosmetic changes here and there, bug fixes, etc, but as far as simply being happy with my phone and what it can do, I'm like 95% happy. The only thing that would "complete" MY experience is NFC being used for mobile payments.

I loved Google Wallet, and my heart dropped when it was announced that Windows Phone 8 would be crippled by ISIS. Right now, ISIS is only concerned about Android (and apparently iOS now), and could care less about Windows Phone (quite frankly, I don't think the Windows Phone team cares about NFC payments either).

What I'm asking is, is there anyway that a workaround could come out that speed up the wait for NFC payments, or are we kinda screwed? I just don't ever see NFC mobile payments becoming a reality on Windows Phone....

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the problem is ISIS only caring about Android, I think the problem is that the carriers suck at working together. They've been "testing" it in Salt Lake City and I think another city in Texas for how long now? When is it going to leave the "testing" phase?

I don't think we can go anywhere unless Microsoft creates their own payment system like Google I guess. Because right now we need a secure SIM to make NFC payments, and of course our SIMs come from our carriers.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think NFC mobile payments will see mass adoption until Apple includes it in the iPhone and I have a feeling that will be when hell freezes over!!!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think NFC mobile payments will see mass adoption until Apple includes it in the iPhone and I have a feeling that will be when hell freezes over!!!

Maybe, and if Apple does include NFC, would they try to make their own mobile payment system? Because right now it's a mess--there's no clear winner. Right now it's kind of like Blu-ray vs HD DVD. There's ISIS from US carriers, companies like Visa and Mastercard are trying to create their own solution, PayPal doesn't do NFC, but they are creating a mobile payment system, and then there's Google Wallet. They may even be others that I missed. I believe there are some apps that are trying to become a mobile payment method.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And Citibank offers an NFC payment tag (i.e. sticker) that you can put on the back of your phone. It's under the Mastercard pass umbrella and available as a service for some of their credit cards. The beauty is that it totally bypasses the carriers and just links directly to your existing credit card account. The downside is that you're stuck with an ugly sticker on your phone that all but says "steal me".

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
In other words....NFC payments aren't gonna happen anytime soon lol...

I really wish Microsoft would just create their own system. It's not like they can't, and even though it would take a while, it would still be faster (I'd imagine) than getting ISIS off the ground and working with carriers. This blows donkey nuts man. I so badly want to start making NFC transactions at places like Target, CVS, Burger King, McDonalds, gas stations, etc...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
In other words....NFC payments aren't gonna happen anytime soon lol...

I really wish Microsoft would just create their own system. It's not like they can't, and even though it would take a while, it would still be faster (I'd imagine) than getting ISIS off the ground and working with carriers. This blows donkey nuts man. I so badly want to start making NFC transactions at places like Target, CVS, Burger King, McDonalds, gas stations, etc...

Or Microsoft could support ALL payment systems within the Wallet, then, no matter what you use to pay be it Visa, Mastercard, ISIS or even Paypal they would all work.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs