Will 'Blue' be bringing the start button back?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as opening programs or apps go, I find it easiest to just hit the Windows Key on the keyboard and type the first couple letters and click on it from the list that is shown. This has been a lot fast than the regular start menu as there would be times I forgot exactly where the program is.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Its like you didnt even read my reply because I mentioned you can do this as well. Yes he means categories but you can also control how many tiles stack per column which decreases scrolling. You can do this through registry mods or "ease of use", I think that is what it is called. And yes you can pin folders and apps, if you want to call it a hub go for it. Google is your friend.
How to Pin Apps or Folders to the Metro Start Screen in Windows 8

Google is totally not my friend. I've seen the scroogled ads. 😊

But the link you posted is more a work-around. I, and many others, would like there to be a solution that fits in with the modern UI instead of being redirected to a desktop folder.

I'm also not familiar with how to add more rows of tiles to the Start Screen. Maybe that option is only available when the resolution is higher? Neither my Surface RT or my Surface Pro have that option under "Ease of Access."

Last edited:

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Because people can't see 'Invisible' and 95% of windows users are not tech-heads

No visual clues = dead in the water

It shows you about the charm bar when you setup your account. Everyone should know how useful windows key is by now. Lower left corner is a tech feature if Im thinking the same as jerry.

But this EXACTLY why Microsoft made the start screen, for the NON-techs.

Also there is a really good app in the marketplace that teaches you a lot of the useful features of Win8. Cant remember the name but it is a top rated app. "Window 8 Cheats"?

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
It shows you about the charm bar when you setup your account. Everyone should know how useful windows key is by now. Lower left corner is a tech feature if Im thinking the same as jerry.

But this EXACTLY why Microsoft made the start screen, for the NON-techs.

Also there is a really good app in the marketplace that teaches you a lot of the useful features of Win8. Cant remember the name but it is a top rated app. "Window 8 Cheats"?

How many non-techs are ever going to see the setup screen? And more so, remember a few animated images for an OS they have yet to use and are used to the normal UI ?

non-techs don't use the Windows key, the keyboard for them, and most, is for typing only

If MS made the start screen for non-techs, then why is it so non-intuitive ? The only thing you see is tiles, there is absolutely no indication that there is actually a desktop that they know (Which they are back-tracking on for blue btw)

Non-techs will maybe click on a tile wondering what it does, and then be completely stuck in a full screen app with no way to get back, there is not even an indicator that you can click bottom left, or drag from top, there is NOTHING to help non-techs

Even I had to Google how to shut Win 8 down when I first used it, and I repair machines for a living, THAT is NOT intuitive !

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Google is totally not my friend. I've seen the scroogled ads. 

But the link you posted is more a work-around. I, and many others, would like there to be a solution that fits in with the modern UI instead of being redirected to a desktop folder.

I'm also not familiar with how to add more rows of tiles to the Start Screen. Maybe that option is only available when the resolution is higher? Neither my Surface RT or my Surface Pro have that option under "Ease of Access."

I see what you are saying about the folders now. Yes I agree there should be a way to manage files in a Metro environment.

Sorry I was a little confusing sizes, I was mentioning how to make them bigger and smaller. The ease of access option is something I use to make all the tiles bigger (less per screen) so everything is more legible on my tv. Im betting that isnt useful for you though but when I am back home I can look it up for you if needed.

Here is the registry guide for increasing column size:
Change the Default Number of Rows of Tiles on the Windows 8 UI (Metro) Screen

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I see what you are saying about the folders now. Yes I agree there should be a way to manage files in a Metro environment.

Sorry I was a little confusing sizes, I was mentioning how to make them bigger and smaller. The ease of access option is something I use to make all the tiles bigger (less per screen) so everything is more legible on my tv. Im betting that isnt useful for you though but when I am back home I can look it up for you if needed.

Here is the registry guide for increasing column size:
Change the Default Number of Rows of Tiles on the Windows 8 UI (Metro) Screen

imo trying to access Desktop from Metro is similar to using Remote Desktop, most things that you would usually be able to do locally such as copy paste is a real PITA, the two do not yet work in harmony with each other, looking forward to seeing what blue brings, but not expecting much, really pleased 7 is such a solid OS tbh

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Google is totally not my friend. I've seen the scroogled ads. 

No, it works on all devices. Simply drag the App Tile in between two sections of apps. You will notice it will show a lighter color column as you hover over the area. Then zoom out on the Start Screen (pinch fingers together on a touch device). You will see the tiles get much smaller, there you can select a tile group and the app bar at the bottom will pop up with a "name group" icon. Bingo...

Windows8Start.jpgWindows8NameGroup.PNGWindows8StartRightmouse.jpg

Trust me, once you figure out the brilliance in some of the Windows 8 tricks, you'll never want to go back to Windows 7. I've always hated the Start Menu and love the start screen. Plus, if you are working on a desktop, just pin most commonly used apps to the task bar like I did.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
How many non-techs are ever going to see the setup screen? And more so, remember a few animated images for an OS they have yet to use and are used to the normal UI ?

non-techs don't use the Windows key, the keyboard for them, and most, is for typing only

If MS made the start screen for non-techs, then why is it so non-intuitive ? The only thing you see is tiles, there is absolutely no indication that there is actually a desktop that they know (Which they are back-tracking on for blue btw)

Non-techs will maybe click on a tile wondering what it does, and then be completely stuck in a full screen app with no way to get back, there is not even an indicator that you can click bottom left, or drag from top, there is NOTHING to help non-techs

Even I had to Google how to shut Win 8 down when I first used it, and I repair machines for a living, THAT is NOT intuitive !

Not the setup screen for installing Windows. For your Account. With Microsoft Account logins people will be setting up their own accounts, unless you just hand out those credentials.

If you can find every letter of the alphabet on a keyboard but not a key that looks like the symbol of one of the biggest software companies.....

The desktop is not for average people, as average people made it clear it was complicated. They made the start screen so you don't have to go there but you want to anyway? And they are not backtracking They are doing what microsoft has always done and giving options.

And again the setup screen for your account does show you this. And everyone figured out Dos and every other version of Windows which was more complex than 8. Maybe Microsoft should have a video showing how to do this but you know what early computer users didn't have that we do? The Internet and Youtube. You can keep getting upset because the UI isn't "intuitive" or take five minutes or less to watch a video showing how to do it. I'm not trying to bash you but everything you know about the desktop is because you had no other choice but to learn it and people hated it outside of techs/enterprise users. Now there is a simpler choice but it is too simple. I don't understand how I had no issues with the desktop environment and then the new start screen comes along and I have no problems with it either. But everyone else still has a bone to pick with Microsoft, what else can they do? Brain implants? I would actually sign up for that one too lol.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh and you know the view to name your categories and arrange them? Switch to that view to jump to categories if you dont want to scroll.

If you look at the screens paul posted, the second one is what you do to avoid scrolling. You click the group and it zooms in on that group.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Not the setup screen for installing Windows. For your Account. With Microsoft Account logins people will be setting up their own accounts, unless you just hand out those credentials.

If you can find every letter of the alphabet on a keyboard but not a key that looks like the symbol of one of the biggest software companies.....

The desktop is not for average people, as average people made it clear it was complicated. They made the start screen so you don't have to go there but you want to anyway? And they are not backtracking They are doing what microsoft has always done and giving options.

And again the setup screen for your account does show you this. And everyone figured out Dos and every other version of Windows which was more complex than 8. Maybe Microsoft should have a video showing how to do this but you know what early computer users didn't have that we do? The Internet and Youtube. You can keep getting upset because the UI isn't "intuitive" or take five minutes or less to watch a video showing how to do it. I'm not trying to bash you but everything you know about the desktop is because you had no other choice but to learn it and people hated it outside of techs/enterprise users. Now there is a simpler choice but it is too simple. I don't understand how I had no issues with the desktop environment and then the new start screen comes along and I have no problems with it either. But everyone else still has a bone to pick with Microsoft, what else can they do? Brain implants? I would actually sign up for that one too lol.

I can see we are going to go logger-heads with this, so I will only say this, MS 'ARE' back-tracking, they heard us, Sinosfky is GONE, they are completely reversing what he did, albeit in a slow 'we did nothing wrong' way

Sorry, but 8 is a disaster, MS know it, we all know it, a few people can't see it yet, but they will fade once MS are back on track, the start menu is one of the most useful and system feature accessible parts of windows, they confirmed this by adding the right click on the start button with a context menu of everything most of us use everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I can see we are going to go logger-heads with this, so I will only say this, MS 'ARE' back-tracking, they heard us, Sinosfky is GONE, they are completely reversing what he did, albeit in a slow 'we did nothing wrong' way

Sorry, but 8 is a disaster, MS know it, we all know it, a few people can't see it yet, but they will fade once MS are back on track, the start menu is one of the most useful and system feature accessible parts of windows, they confirmed this by adding the right click on the start button with a context menu of everything most of us use everyday.

I'm fairly sick of repeating this to people so forgive me if I don't reply to you in this thread ;)

LOL Win8 has nothing to do with Sinofsky. Microsoft has been trying to make a touch UI for over 10 years, give or take. And they are not backtracking, how is listening to their users(albeit ignorant) being spun as bad? There isnt one thing that I cant do just as quick in Win8 and a whole lot I can do quicker. Not related but Win7 can't even touch Win8 in speed. Even in the virtual world Win8 is proving more resource efficient for VMs than Win7 and Server08 so yeah it is going nowhere if it is also useful in the enterprise world.

"they confirmed this by adding the right click on the start button with a context menu of everything most of us use everyday" no idea what this means. Maybe you meant task bar?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

First of all, the only RUMOR is that the start BUTTON is coming back. NOT the start menu.

They are not backtracking, they're just accommodating those that can't handle moving the start button over 20 pixels. The dam thing is still there. I don't get what the problem is with people. OSX doesn't have a start button and people use that OS fine.

Give me a break, no wonder Microsoft was stuck in yesteryear for so long.

And for the record the Start Menu is a horrible UI and grossly inefficient.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN]Ok guys, I'm in here now. Lets try to refrain from using personal attacks against others per forum rules. I've had to delete or edit several posts from this thread. If we cannot be civil then points will be given out and this thread will be closed[/WARN]

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You can do this through registry mods or "ease of use", I think that is what it is called.

Yes, simple & intuitive as can be; anyone should be able to do it!

Because people can't see 'Invisible' and 95% of windows users are not tech-heads

No visual clues = dead in the water

Exactly. That's what I said about it right away when Windows 8 was released and I started using it. Yes, everything is where it was (almost), but how is the average person supposed to know that? There is absolutely no indication unless you put the cursor in the corner. And since corners were not previously used in Windows, who's going to automatically check it out?

And for the record the Start Menu is a horrible UI and grossly inefficient.

I tend to agree, but I'm not convinced the Modern UI is much better. With the Start Menu there's more clicking, but less scrolling.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for you to change RUMOUR (We all know its a BUTTON, where did they find you?) RTFT

Bud, your words are identical to many others, the ones who will also backtrack

Calling people dumbasses makes you look..... well....... I need to say nothing

Reply to me again when Win 9 arrives ok ;) Cool, have fun .......BRO

backtrack what? You really think Microsoft is going to completely backtrack and put the Start Menu in there for Windows 9? Did they backtrack to DOS/3.1 after they released Windows 95 and people complained?

Its really simple, Microsoft is evolving their OS to fit the new demands of technology and consumers in the future. Eventually touch and gestures will be the primary method of using a computer. Mouse and keyboard will be for the die hard users using more complex programs like I do (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)

The start menu is not efficient or touch friendly. It wasn't even good when using a mouse. Endless cascading folders to get to one program? Ya, that's not effective period.

The Start Button is still there, its a hot corner just like OSX has. It isn't some new alien way of accessing things. It takes about five seconds to learn and also results in more space for apps docked on the task bar.

Windows 8 is different, not a wreck. Just because you and others can't get past legacy thinking, doesn't mean the rest should have stick to age old user interfaces. The start button change does not break the OS or change anyone's workflow at all. This isn't rocket science.

I use Windows 8 all day designing and developing websites, user interfaces editing photos, etc. My workflow from Windows 7 has only improved through Windows 8.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, simple & intuitive as can be; anyone should be able to do it!

Exactly. That's what I said about it right away when Windows 8 was released and I started using it. Yes, everything is where it was (almost), but how is the average person supposed to know that? There is absolutely no indication unless you put the cursor in the corner. And since corners were not previously used in Windows, who's going to automatically check it out?

I tend to agree, but I'm not convinced the Modern UI is much better. With the Start Menu there's more clicking, but less scrolling.

How many programs/apps do you use? I find most of the apps I use I'm able to fit on the first part of the Start Screen. It does sound like MS will be adding smaller tile options like WP8 which will allow for more apps on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss