Can I make a pinned 'Photos' tile for a contact group?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but my search skills are failing me apparently.

What I would like to do: pin a wide live tile to the start screen, showing high quality recent pictures from a contacts group. So basically the same as the 'Photos' live tile, but showing only the pics from contact in a given group.

What I done so far: made a contact group 'buddies'. I can pin that group to the start screen, but it only seems to show their contact pics, not their 'social pictures'. When I tap that group tile I can go to 'photos', where it shows something looking like a live tile, labeled 'Pictures of Buddies'. That's the thing I want to pin to start, but I can long-press it all I want, but it doesn't offer to pin anything. If I then tap a single contact and long press their photos, I *can* pin that. So close!

So, am I missing something, and is there maybe another way of doing this?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Answer in short - No you can't pin just photos of your contact group.

The group is the best you can do for visual appeal or pin only a handful of contacts from group who actually have really hi res pics? I do see how this would be awesome to just select and see photos of groups. But from pinned group tile, you can swipe on right to see their photos when you enter the group.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That's too bad. It's weird given that the 'tile' is right there at the top of the 'photos' section of the group. Hopefully they'll add it at some point.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried pinning the family room album and that works. Any of the SkyDrive albums can be pinned. It is a odd that the option to pin a groups photos was missed out.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've tried pinning the family room album and that works. Any of the SkyDrive albums can be pinned. It is a odd that the option to pin a groups photos was missed out.

I can't pin my room's albums either. I can pin the room tiles but not photos in particular!

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... That's strange. Im using WP 7.8, and I could pin a shared album, but I doubt MS would have removed that functionality in WP 8. I accessed the album from the photos hub, not the people hub. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edit: works on my dads WP 8, through the photos hub

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... That's strange. Im using WP 7.8, and I could pin a shared album, but I doubt MS would have removed that functionality in WP 8. I accessed the album from the photos hub, not the people hub. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edit: works on my dads WP 8, through the photos hub

Oh, I see! So you've pinned the "XYZ Group Photos from Skydrive" album? That I can do as well. But when you go in the room, you can't. However, does WP7.8 have "rooms"? That's news to me.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't hv rooms, but I can access my dads family room photos that he shared with me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs