The new Lumia 925

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about any updates until they give me a phone that will last 8 hours even if I use it. I don't care if it weighs 5 pounds, don't care about 1080p display, (it's a damn phone), all I want is a WP8 device that I can use during the day but I don't have to charge 3 times to do so.

(I've been through 4 920's now) I wish I could slap the RAZR MAXX HD battery into any WP8 device. I've had to move most of what I did on my 920's to my work phone. Average usage on that device (RAZR HD) is 70-80 hours, doing far more than what my 920 does. Average usage on my 920 is 5-6 hours. BUT if I really use my phone 2-3 hours.

People get obsessed over stupid things. Why do we need 1080p displays? So the tweet we read looks more crisp? I'd take a monochrome device running WP8 if I could average 70-80 hours of use.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaaaannd, here come the complaints from the never-satisfied WP fan base! Lets just ignore the fact that this is yet more buzz about WP and just moan about how the 920 was a beta test, less memory, no colors, yadda, yadda, yadda. You whiners do know you can switch to another OS and manufacturer, right? :straight:
Are we not allowed to express our opinions about the companies we follow? I've been critical of this device launching before the holidays ever since it was first rumoured. There are simply too many comparisons to other failed scenarios for me to see this as a good move for Nokia. It unfortunately only served to reinforce my opinion that smartphone manufacturers can't bring enough meaningful innovation to the table in order to justify a replacement flagship every six months. Hoping for more out of a company or not agreeing with its business decisions doesn't constitute hatred for it.

This aluminium switch has been rumoured and teased for quite a while now, and Nokia has created beautiful, coloured aluminium unibodies in the past. To me, this phone was definitely not what I expected, and borderline messy. I can see how the black one could look stunning in person, but HTC's One definitely has the edge when comparing greys. All in all, I wouldn't criticise it much if it was a variant of the 920, in the same vein of the 928. But Nokia hyped and presented it as the next thing, when this is very iterative.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
People get obsessed over stupid things. Why do we need 1080p displays? So the tweet we read looks more crisp? I'd take a monochrome device running WP8 if I could average 70-80 hours of use.

As someone who actually works with their smartphone, you belong to a small minority.

For most people, their smartphone is primarily a status symbol and secondarily an expensive toy... hence the tendency to the paper specs focused 'mine is bigger than yours' mentalities...

What you need to do is find the smartphone with the lowest possible CPU clock combined with the largest possible battery.
For WP that is the Lumia 720.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
920 too heavy???

If you can't handle 185 grams of phone, I would suggest staying at home with a pair of slippers and some cocoa!!!
Wimps!!!!

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
And they have just announced that it will be available on T-Mobile US only. And only Vodafone UK will be selling it here. Why? If they want to sell these things they have to get it on all the networks, not just one.

The 925 is another 920 variant so in the US, 3 of the major carriers now will have a flagship Lumia device...are there any carriers where you are with a 920 or other variant?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's an attractive phone, but it's styling is very derivative. Retailers already don't give the Lumia 920 the attention it deserves. However, at least when they happen to have a colorful version on display, or even the white for that matter, it stands out as distinctive. And people on the street definitely notice.

So instead, they take the safe me-too approach and go with aluminum. That isn't even necessarily the problem, but rather that they go back to boring black and white. Maybe there's market research that shows that most consumers are turned off by colorful phones. At least right up to the point that Apple starts offering them.

It also seems absurd that they'd drop built in wireless charging. Of all the functionality of my phone, that's the one that impressed friends most because it was so distinctive and practical.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Halving the storage to 16 GB and still no SD card slot! They really have lost the plot.
Exactly. But I think they didn't want 920 to lose steam. So they want 920 to still sell while pple who want lighter phone can look at this.. If they give everything in 925 then 920 is not going to sell. I think that is the reason.

They will be selling 32 GB thru Vodaphone I believe.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It's an attractive phone, but it's styling is very derivative. Retailers already don't give the Lumia 920 the attention it deserves. However, at least when they happen to have a colorful version on display, or even the white for that matter, it stands out as distinctive. And people on the street definitely notice.

So instead, they take the safe me-too approach and go with aluminum. That isn't even necessarily the problem, but rather that they go back to boring black and white. Maybe there's market research that shows that most consumers are turned off by colorful phones. At least right up to the point that Apple starts offering them.

It also seems absurd that they'd drop built in wireless charging. Of all the functionality of my phone, that's the one that impressed friends most because it was so distinctive and practical.

I don't really look at it as the safe route. Nokia is known for listening to feature requests and conducting customer research. This year many customers asked for a thinner metal device, and that's exactly what they provided. Wireless charging was possibly sacrificed to provide the much thinner frame, but they knew it was a much needed feature...so they accommodated by providing a wireless charging case. Obviously everyone won't be happy with every device, but this way they can let ppl choose thinner or heavier, wireless charging built into the phone or case, metal body or colorful presence...everyone has options now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think they killed the 810 in favor of the 925.

I respectfully disagree. 810 was positioned as the cheaper option to the "high end" 8X. Under that scenario, the 925 kills the 8X and the 521 kills the 810. Now, if T-Mobile suddenly starts selling the 8X again, and at a price point between the 521 and 925, I'd agree.

Typical HTC...make a good enough phones and watch it not sell because the flaws are the stuff that really turn off consumers...Typical T-Mobile, never really had a good phone lineup for years. Guess they are glad to know that they typical stuff will sell like iPhone and S4...

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

I suppose my expectations were a little too high.

You are bashing Nokia for ever man.. give it a rest already.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

I suppose my expectations were a little too high.

By now you probably read Nokia s answers to your concerns. Nokia never meant for the 928 and 925 to be the next generation of Lumia devices, but rather a brother or sister to the 920 appealing to different audiences. They made it clear that the next generation of Lumia devices will be unveiled later this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster