05-15-2013 08:42 AM
67 123
tools
    So Nokia have now officially announced the new Lumia 925 which is basically a redesigned 920. They have removed the built-in wireless charging but there are snap-on back covers to add this feature if you want. The body of the phone has an aluminum band running around the complete edge.
    They have swapped the LCD screen for an AMOLED screen with clear black technology.

My thinking is that the 925 is what the 920 should have been in the first place and I'm feeling that the 920 is basically a Beta phone.

So, will the 925 be the big deal that Nokia hope it will be?
    jaj324 likes this.
    05-14-2013 04:24 AM
    I don't think it'll shake up the industry at all to be honest.

It's essentially just a revised 920, not a reinvention of the wheel. I don't like how they removed wireless charging out of the box and the fact that it only comes in two dull colours, unlike the plethora of bold and bright colours that the Lumia range is known for.

I'm looking forward to the next actual flagship WP8 device, but that probably won't happen until Blue.
    05-14-2013 04:27 AM
    I don't see it doing well at all. They removed colour, storage, unibody and wireless charging to make it thinner, and it's simply not flagship-worthy six months on.
    05-14-2013 04:29 AM
    If you weren't interested before, you aren't going to be interested now - there is nothing new here.
    05-14-2013 04:33 AM
    And they have just announced that it will be available on T-Mobile US only. And only Vodafone UK will be selling it here. Why? If they want to sell these things they have to get it on all the networks, not just one.
    05-14-2013 04:34 AM
    I was interested before in the design direction Nokia would take with aluminium. Sadly, HTC's One absolutely trumps this.

If they want to sell these things they have to get it on all the networks, not just one.
    Feels like a small attempt to keep sales up through the middle of the year.
    05-14-2013 04:35 AM
    I don't see it doing well at all. They removed colour, storage, unibody and wireless charging to make it thinner, and it's simply not flagship-worthy six months on.
    Halving the storage to 16 GB and still no SD card slot! They really have lost the plot.
    svenhassel likes this.
    05-14-2013 04:40 AM
    Hah - remember all the angry comments that journalists and reviewer had got it wrong and the 920 wasn't too bulky? The guy from Nokia has just got up and said just that! "The Lumia 920 was too heavy. Not meant for European tastes."
    It's great Nokia have carrier availability details this time around. Whilst Vodafone seem to be taking most of the limelight, O2 UK have been busy promoting the 925 via their Facebook & Twitter accounts. O2 have the 925 exclusively in white. They're currently trending it as #Lumiamazing.

Great stuff! :)

“Nokia has been going from strength to strength with Lumia and the 925 is the best Nokia Windows Phone 8 device yet.”

David Johnson, O2’s General Manager Devices

O2 to exclusively sell white Nokia Lumia 925 - The Blue
    Hah - remember all the angry comments that journalists and reviewer had got it wrong and the 920 wasn't too bulky? The guy from Nokia has just got up and said just that! "The Lumia 920 was too heavy. Not meant for European tastes."
    Dude that is so mature of you
    05-14-2013 04:48 AM
    lumia 925 is just a refresh of the 920 for tmobile... nothing groundbreaking... meh :/
    05-14-2013 04:52 AM
    Dude that is so mature of you
    I just find it funny - everything here claimed that the journalists were biased, weedy etc etc and we get straight from the horse's mouth that they were right all along.
    05-14-2013 04:54 AM
    Except it was the guy from vodaphone that said it.
    05-14-2013 04:54 AM
    Aaaaaaannd, here come the complaints from the never-satisfied WP fan base! Lets just ignore the fact that this is yet more buzz about WP and just moan about how the 920 was a beta test, less memory, no colors, yadda, yadda, yadda. You whiners do know you can switch to another OS and manufacturer, right?
    05-14-2013 04:55 AM
    Except it was the guy from vodaphone that said it.
    Are you sure - I thought it was Swiss Tony?
    05-14-2013 04:56 AM
    I just find it funny - everything here claimed that the journalists were biased, weedy etc etc and we get straight from the horse's mouth that they were right all along.
    hahahaha.............yea real funny. aka Not -_-
    05-14-2013 04:57 AM
    Are you sure - I thought it was Swiss Tony?
    Yep pretty sure it was vodaphone guy - also pretty sure they said the phones were 32gb as well so don't know where the memory loss comments are coming from

Personally I think its a nice addition to the range - the option to have wireless charging covers has obviously allowed them to reduce some of the bulk from the 920 and the aluminium rim should give a lot better reception - just not sure about the usb and headphone jack being on top.
    05-14-2013 04:59 AM
    No one ever seems to be happy lol if tha phone gave out sex 4 free y'all probly still wouldn't be happy!!!
    05-14-2013 05:08 AM
    Sounds like a pretty nice phone but it seems like it's just something to keep the operators happy for a while. The removal of wireless charging being built in has kinda messed with the whole model/numbering system.

Nice, but it seems like it's just there to get the new camera in as quickly as possible. It's not something to upgrade to from the 920 (hence the numbering confusion, 910 would have been a better choice)
    05-14-2013 05:13 AM
    What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

I suppose my expectations were a little too high.
    05-14-2013 05:22 AM
    Yep pretty sure it was vodaphone guy - also pretty sure they said the phones were 32gb as well so don't know where the memory loss comments are coming from

Personally I think its a nice addition to the range - the option to have wireless charging covers has obviously allowed them to reduce some of the bulk from the 920 and the aluminium rim should give a lot better reception - just not sure about the usb and headphone jack being on top.
    Vodafone has exclusivity on the 32gb version, so in guessing there is a lesser version. I hope no one is surprised. Nokia said a while ago a flagship for each US carrier. AT&T got theirs first, then Verizon and Tmo. Same base line hardware with subtle differences.
    05-14-2013 05:25 AM
    Vodafone has exclusivity on the 32gb version, so in guessing there is a lesser version. I hope no one is surprised. Nokia said a while ago a flagship for each US carrier. AT&T got theirs first, then Verizon and Tmo. Same base line hardware with subtle differences.
    So would that mean T-Mobile is a getting a 32GB one as well?
    05-14-2013 05:27 AM
    What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

I suppose my expectations were a little too high.
    Just following Apples model I guess - release a phone that's almost the same just a bit thinner and lighter and chuck in an extra innovative app. You cant really expect anything much from phone releases nowadays. Even the GS4 is virtually identical to the GS3 just with software enhancements. I can see things trudging along like this for a few years until someone breaks the mould
    05-14-2013 05:29 AM
    I didn't understand their strategy at first but now I see it for what it is. Its just their attempt to gain traction in the US, as they now have a "flagship" model on 3 of the top 4 networks there. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something else up their sleeve, Elop's a shifty bugger lol
    05-14-2013 05:30 AM
    I would think so - that type of exclusive seems to be by market.
    05-14-2013 05:31 AM
67 123