05-19-2013 09:46 PM
66 123
tools
    People are expecting new stuff from Nokia in the middle of the year. Since WP7, flagships have been launched in the fall. The HTC Titan 2 was a refresh and the Lumia series was launched whenever because Nokia got on board late - they had to pick AT&T as exclusive.

The real 92X successor cometh in the fall. The 925 and 928 are just mere exclusives. Yes, people are pissed about the 16GB storage, so am I, but Nokia has to get handsets out there because they don't have the clout in the US fully to pull a Samsung with their Galaxy Series.
    05-16-2013 11:01 AM
    Nokia as a whole are a flop in Canada, they don't release any of their phones on our largest carrier. They're the only company who doesn't.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)
    05-16-2013 12:26 PM
    Pav that's because apple was and still is a major player, one of the top dogs everyone already knew the iphone was going to verizon

Wight due respect, nokia and wp is not yet currently
    I agree. I guess what I was saying is that if the biggest phone going to the biggest (U.S.) carrier doesn't warrant a manufacturer press conference, why does the 928/925 going to those carriers warrant one?
    05-16-2013 01:30 PM
    Because Nokia have gone backwards on two important areas that make the Lumia 92* line up, being wireless charging for one thing which doesn't come out of the box, and they halved the on board storage capacity with no micro SD slot ? This is why people are disappointed. They have gone backwards in these two aspects and arguably the 925 and 928 don't look as nice as the L920 yet they are still charging the same price for them as the L920 when it came out.
    05-16-2013 03:27 PM
    Now wait for EOS with 1080p screen and 41mp camera. Also, will have a aluminium body..
    How do you know that it will come, and with those features? ??
    05-16-2013 06:09 PM
    I agree. I guess what I was saying is that if the biggest phone going to the biggest (U.S.) carrier doesn't warrant a manufacturer press conference, why does the 928/925 going to those carriers warrant one?
    Fair point :)

Because Nokia have gone backwards on two important areas that make the Lumia 92* line up, being wireless charging for one thing which doesn't come out of the box, and they halved the on board storage capacity with no micro SD slot ? This is why people are disappointed. They have gone backwards in these two aspects and arguably the 925 and 928 don't look as nice as the L920 yet they are still charging the same price for them as the L920 when it came out.
    But have gone forward in camera performance and software. In the 928's case, also improved in audio playback and audio recording
    05-16-2013 06:17 PM
    Nokia was teasing 41 MP camera (14th May 4 messages 1 missed call etc.) and what they showed is redesigned 920, that's why people are dissapointed, rightly so.

It's like Apple would tease iPhone 6 with IP6 symbols allaround and what they would show is IP5S with different colors and another row of icons.

How do you know that it will come, and with those features? ??
    Except he doesn't, but for some reason wants to leave impression that he does.
    05-16-2013 07:11 PM
    There are many, many Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7.x, and likely more than a few Windows Phone 8 "loyal" users who really feel like Microsoft and specifically AT&T have just put the screws to a very loyal bunch of folks in regards to their platform. I read a cool quote the other day that in the United States where you think everything is free, by that I mean a free country, capitalism, creativity and the sky's the limit...you'd think that our devices would not be so incredibly locked down and the reality is they are! I have been on the fence in regards to updating to Windows Phone 8 but I own two Titan (Eternity) devices...both HSPL and Interop/Developer Unlocked and it boils down to what apps will perform without fail on WP8 that might via 3rd party (Homebrew) on WP7.8 custom roms and configurations. Skype simply isn't perfect on WP8 and that for me is a major, major sticking point; it has to work flawless. Something is wrong when I pull out my HTC Rhodium load Skype 3.0 for Windows Mobile 6.x and Pandora and they both work and yet where's the love for Windows Phone 7.x users? I have to use Metro-Talk for my VoIP, I have to use Metro-Radio for my Pandora app. Yes, WP8 has more "branded" apps available but what I need has to run in background flawless; I'm not convinced WP8 does that...maybe WP9...who knows. I do not understand why our devices and OS have to be so incredibly locked down when there is a community like XDA which it make perfect common sense for Microsoft and carriers to embrace and they don't. I read WP8 is not the 3rd biggest mobile OS...like 3 point whatever percent is a major achievement when Android and iOS are pulling 95% combined; yep, #3 alright.
    05-16-2013 10:41 PM
    I guess I expected more. Yea, the lumia 928 is $99 on contract(same price as the 920) but, I don't roll that way. The 928 full contact price is $499.99 as the 920 is $449.99. It's more.

I really think Microsoft put a ban on MicroSD slots on high end models, no high end device has one (the Samsung ATIV S is a different story in the US). I really wanted to see more than the 928 offers, 32gb with only 23gb usable when you get the phone(according to a post). The 925 with only 16gb and no built in wireless charging is a joke. Sure, the design looks good but, function over form, at least in my eyes.

yea, I know it's like going from a iPhone 4 to a 4s...but for more money, I expected more.
    05-16-2013 11:20 PM
    Nokia as a whole are a flop in Canada, they don't release any of their phones on our largest carrier. They're the only company who doesn't.

If Fido is included with Rogers, then Rogers is the largest carrier in Canada.
    05-16-2013 11:45 PM
    I wasnt disappointed, maybe ATT customers were or owners of the 920 were disappointed that nothing revolutionary was released, but when you are on Verizon and wanted a somewhat decent WP 8 device, sorry the 822 wasnt cutting it...i am quite satisfied with the nokia 928,
    05-17-2013 12:54 PM
    If Fido is included with Rogers, then Rogers is the largest carrier in Canada.
    That applies to Bell's subsidiaries as well though does it not? Either way you crunch it, we're only talking a difference that still doesn't change much in the general sense, and we'd just end up changing the words from "largest" to "one of the top two"
    05-17-2013 01:15 PM
    Because now if you search Lumia 925 or 928 it is in almost every news agency's tech headlines! Press conferences are not just for what we may call 'breaking news' but they are for any organization looking to get information out to the press in a massive fashion. I saw the Nokia Lumia 925 headlines in Reuters, BBC, Fox News, ABC News, Huffington Post, Wall Street Journal...everywhere!

That was the goal....let everyone know that the Nokia Lumia brand is a global competitive mobile device that is here to stay! :)
    05-17-2013 01:19 PM

The one carrier that does seem to continue to release windows phones somewhat regularly tends to stick with the lower end ones (Telus had the 800 and 610, now they only have the 620 and I heard the 520 is coming too). Well they have the ATIV S but that's probably just cuz it was a Samsung phone...
    05-17-2013 01:46 PM
    I'm not disappointed at all in the 925/928. I prefer the design of the 920 to both and they aren't really appealing to me, but I'm not disappointed. As far as I'm concerned Nokia is doing an excellent job.

I AM really disappointed in Microsoft. They aren't innovating quickly enough and the experience on the OS, while better in many regards than the competition, still has some very important missing features which shouldn't be difficult to implement. Notification center, independent volume controls, generally weak and buggy Xbox Music/Video/Podcast apps, underwhelming integration with Windows 8, etc. All items that constantly remind me that I'm using a platform that shouldn't still be using the crutch of being "new", MS has to get it together and solve these issues and a once-a-year update cycle isn't nearly frequent enough.
    05-19-2013 08:15 PM
    I'm not disappointed at all in the 925/928. I prefer the design of the 920 to both and they aren't really appealing to me, but I'm not disappointed. As far as I'm concerned Nokia is doing an excellent job.

I AM really disappointed in Microsoft. They aren't innovating quickly enough and the experience on the OS, while better in many regards than the competition, still has some very important missing features which shouldn't be difficult to implement. Notification center, independent volume controls, generally weak and buggy Xbox Music/Video/Podcast apps, underwhelming integration with Windows 8, etc. All items that constantly remind me that I'm using a platform that shouldn't still be using the crutch of being "new", MS has to get it together and solve these issues and a once-a-year update cycle isn't nearly frequent enough.

This is basically the crux of the matter. Most of the disappointment isn't really about Nokia, who are doing the best with the OS that they have. It's largely disappointment that Microsoft seems to be taking an alarmingly leisurely stance, and pace, in development of their last-ditch-effort-mobile OS. They're under the impression it seems that the mobile market will wait for Windows Phone to play catch up; one glance at the advances Google has in store for Android and Chrome from the recent I/O conference, shows that Microsoft clearly shouldn't be resting on their heels.
    05-19-2013 09:46 PM
66 123