Why are people so dissapointed? Lumia 925 & 928

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I do understand that users may feel there are a 'lack of features'.

The question is: Can you use your WP device on a daily basis? Does it do it all very well and better than the opposition?
The answer would probably be a resounding YES by all WP owners. This says that all the important features are there and in good working order.

Lack of features is not the same as having a device that doesn't deliver.
A lot of users have a 'wish list' that they think would make the device 'better'. Have a read about Nokia Q and A on the new phones. It states in there SD card problems and impact on the OS. Adding features is not as easy as 'bolting it on'. These have a knock on effect for useability and speed.

How about having all the 'wish list' features in a WP device with all the lag of Android. Again the moaning would begin again... Unfortunately it's a trade off.

Quote from AngryNil:

"Overpromise, underdeliver? Er, don't think that's how it is supposed to go :)"

THAT is marketing. To create desire for a thing or product. Whether it meets the expectations of the end user is debatable.

If you own a 920, these two devices will seem a bit of a let down. If you don't, these phones may fill the gap.

Well done to Nokia for keeping WP in the public eye.....

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
WP seems to have the most grumpy users out of any ecosystem. After every major announcement there will be a loud chorus of disgruntled fans getting upset over some little thing that matters to them, without looking at the big picture. I feel like it's some kind of phone envy where they feel the need to be able to brag about their phones to iPhone and Android users.

The 925 and 928 are good phones in their own right, and without the absolute need for high end specs they are just fine. This isn't like Android where extra cores or RAM will play a major role at the moment.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
the 920, 925 & 928 are nothing more than identical triplets.

Isnt that what they are supposed to be? Nokia presented the 925 as a complement to the 920 and 928 and its an improvement in the areas that so many sites have been moaning about since the 920 was released, size and weight. Now it also has an improved camera, can be adapted to include wireless charging if so desired and only lacks in storage space when compared to the other 9x variants. So I think Nokia did a good job and advanced the Lumia story as well as they could given the hardware restrictions and crucially also keep WP in the spotlight because even though it may not be for spec hounds the 925 is likely going to be a more attractive handset for Euro carriers to push as it meets their demands for a lighter device and I think it will do just as well if not better than the 920.

Especially on these forums, no one should be disappointed as we had probably the most accurate info on what was to be released from the wpcentral team. So all the whining really doesnt make any sense to me, espcially when we know the hardware specs havent changed for WP so should not have been expecting anything other then what was revealed.

However, I will certainly agree with one thing. Microsoft is what is holding Nokia back, no question. The pace of WP development is just as slow as ever and Nokia or any other WP OEM just cant do any more with what the OS supports and again MS shows how incompetent they are. The only silver lining is that GDR3 is probably already in Nokia's hands so the devices they will be revealing later this summer should meet the expectations when it comes to hardware. It remains to be seen though if the OS will also have additional updates to fill in the gaps in functionality or if MS will continue to sit on their hands.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The answer would probably be a resounding YES by all WP owners.

YMBJ. Windows Phone doesn't do everything better, sorry. Not by a long shot.

THAT is marketing.

Failing to meet expectations is not (good) marketing.

Isnt that what they are supposed to be? Nokia presented the 925 as a complement to the 920 and 928

I really don't know, Nokia has sent a tonne of mixed messages. Is it the next thing, or just a variant? Anyhow, I don't feel the timing was great. Too late after the 920, too early for better specifications.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
because its a variant that didn't add much no bump in mega pixels on the camera, no new software features, no gdr2, no notification center. Ill be getting the phone eventually but they could have done more for this phone even if they didn't change the processors or anything it could have had new software features exclusive to the 928

the 925 is the worst one imo they removed the wireless charging and the xenon flash and stripped it down to 16 gb that's just a joke and the smart camera app features have already been on the 920 since launch so again theres still nothing new here except being able to place the smart camera as the default camera app but at the end who cares ? nothing big or nothing different there either

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after more than 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

I don't think the disappointment was in the 928 as that unfortunately was required due to the silly US carriers however I have a hard time figuring out the 925. All it says to me is that they did it wrong when they released the 920. It's basically a 920, thinner and lighter, without wireless charging until you put an ugly cover on, less internal memory and a better camera and software. So it's Nokia way of saying, look we can make fancy handsets, here's one if you want. This wasn't necessary.

The fact that Nokia keeps releasing handsets and the OS is pretty much standing still doesn't do much for the ecosystem. I know Blue is coming and now Amber from Nokia, both great things but it's always wait, things will get better. I think this is the great disappointment. We're so far behind other handsets in many ways that lots of us are tired of the wait. Some just thought that maybe this announcement would have had something more for us waiting, but no, we're still waiting. Now for even more stuff.

Last edited:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

I don't think the disappointment was in the 928 as that unfortunately was required due to the silly US carriers however I have a hard time figuring out the 925. All it says to me is that they did it wrong when they released the 920. It's basically a 920, thinner and lighter, without wireless charging until you put an ugly cover on, less internal memory and a better camera and software. So it's Nokia way of saying, look we can make fancy handsets, here's one if you want. This wasn't necessary.

The fact that Nokia keeps releasing handsets and the OS is pretty much standing still doesn't do much for the ecosystem. I know Blue is coming and now Amber from Nokia, both great things but it's always wait, things will get better. I think this is the great disappointment. We're so far behind other handsets in many ways that lots of us are tired of the wait. Some just thought that maybe this announcement would have had something more for us waiting, but no, we're still waiting. Now for even more stuff.

I agree. I was real hopeful when Windows Phone 8 launched since there were statements from MS that they wanted to add other things but just ran out of time. Well, here we are almost 9 months later and there's been one small update. There's really nothing else the OEMs can do at this point other than making phones thinner and longer lasting until MS updates the OS.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disappointed in these two phones, but I don't think they warranted a live press conference either.
You do realised that 925 and 928 are carrier variant cater to Verizon and Vodafone repectively right?
If you paid couple of million for an exclusive to Nokia will you ask them at least to do a press conference?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I do understand that users may feel there are a 'lack of features'.

The question is: Can you use your WP device on a daily basis? Does it do it all very well and better than the opposition?

Yes, and NO.

I agree with most of your post. There is one caveat though...my 810, only with a small "Other" runs great. When the Other is too large, I have to reset the phone, is damn well inconvenient because the OS lacks a full backup solution. The problem is that this issue needs to get addressed, especially when OEMs will still put smaller internal memory in cheaper phones.

I know MSFT is working on it, but that still plays into other issues on the platform. I love how Nokia is keeping WP8 in the public eye...but remember they HAVE NO CHOICE. If WP fails, they're %&#$"!

I hope carrier exclusive deals doesn't kill Nokia. I've got a carrier exclusive phone, 810, and I have to HOPE T-Mobile still supports it with updates. Ain't that a wonderful spot to be in? Will they kill the 925 quickly too if it doesn't sell? That would just **** more T-Mobile users off.

So yes, some of us WP users complain all the time for no reason, but many of the complaints are legitimate issues we want to see fixed in the OS, etc.

I too agree Nokia has a ton of handsets out. It still falls back on MSFT to push updates in a timely manner for the OS and the carriers to take of the variants that are in the wild and coming in the pipeline.

Araslan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting to see peoples opinions :) personally, it doesn't bother me with the release of the two new phones more choice for people. Its the summer which i wait for :)

But the way complaining goes, its funny how that works. Apple iphone 4, glass back. No complaintes; nexus 4, glass back. Complaints

Haha what can you do?!

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that they were excited because they are trying new materials (aluminium). Next gen Lumias will follow the Aluminium design and that may have been the whole thing... If the 925 was released with,the 928 and 920 it would have been awesome and WP will have like 7% market share.. All the hype is gone now.. Everyone is waiting for EOS.. Regardless the 925 is Awesome and T-mo finally will have a "flagship" phone..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You do realised that 925 and 928 are carrier variant cater to Verizon and Vodafone repectively right?
If you paid couple of million for an exclusive to Nokia will you ask them at least to do a press conference?

The 925 is not exclusive to Vodafone, well not here in the EU. It's going to be released on several carriers.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that they were excited because they are trying new materials (aluminium). Next gen Lumias will follow the Aluminium design and that may have been the whole thing... If the 925 was released with,the 928 and 920 it would have been awesome and WP will have like 7% market share.. All the hype is gone now.. Everyone is waiting for EOS.. Regardless the 925 is Awesome and T-mo finally will have a "flagship" phone..

^ This. To me, I would have been fine with Nokia launching the 920 as the global device, with the 928 and 925 as carrier variants along with the 820 at WP8 launch, followed by the 620 and 720 earlier this year (no 520, just widen the price points more ate push the 620 into 520 markets). But I guess Nokia couldn't do that sadly because of the state of WP8 at the time. It made sense for the 920 only because with the 900 not getting WP8, they damaged some of the good will from the public and couldn't afford for all 3 920 type handsets not to sell.

I still may get a 920 and skip the 925, or wait until the fall, especially if my 810 gets no updates. Still, I'm glad there ate more choices for folks on WP8 now, at least, among Nokia that is...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and NO.

I agree with most of your post. There is one caveat though...my 810, only with a small "Other" runs great. When the Other is too large, I have to reset the phone, is damn well inconvenient because the OS lacks a full backup solution. The problem is that this issue needs to get addressed, especially when OEMs will still put smaller internal memory in cheaper phones.

I know MSFT is working on it, but that still plays into other issues on the platform. I love how Nokia is keeping WP8 in the public eye...but remember they HAVE NO CHOICE. If WP fails, they're %&#$"!

I hope carrier exclusive deals doesn't kill Nokia. I've got a carrier exclusive phone, 810, and I have to HOPE T-Mobile still supports it with updates. Ain't that a wonderful spot to be in? Will they kill the 925 quickly too if it doesn't sell? That would just **** more T-Mobile users off.

So yes, some of us WP users complain all the time for no reason, but many of the complaints are legitimate issues we want to see fixed in the OS, etc.

I too agree Nokia has a ton of handsets out. It still falls back on MSFT to push updates in a timely manner for the OS and the carriers to take of the variants that are in the wild and coming in the pipeline.
+810!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after more than 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

Windows phone lacking features is nothing to do with Nokia, that's MS's fault. Neither is instagram not being on WP Nokia's fault either. Nokia releasing handsets frequently is a good thing, gets attention, exposes them to new users and attracts more consumers, and is much better than having silence in the WP camp while a new android device is launched every week. Anything else speak to Microsoft, they are the ones not updating the OS fast enough.

This is why the 925 is a good thing Gizmodo- Nokia Lumia 925 – this is the Windows Phone that you’ll want. The Verge calls 925 ‘Stunning’… : My Nokia Blog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte