I bought a Nokia 920 on AT&T 2 weeks ago. This is my third modern Windows Phone. I had a Samsung Focus, a Nokia 900 and now this 920.

I've been looking for accessories and also helping my father shop for a phone. I've spent much more time than usual in phone stores or mobile sections of big box stores.

What do I think will supercharge Windows Phone sales? Place LIVE phones in stores. Here's a list of my visits: (Southeast USA)

AT&T Corporate store - Live Windows phones. Only one of 5 models in demo mode, creating an eye catcher. The other 4 were asleep. iPhone and Samsung Android phones were in the prime spot in the store.
    2 AT&T Franchise stores - Dummy Lumia 920 and Dummy 820, possibly an HTC
    Target Mobile department - Dummy Lumia 920, 820, HTC 8X. To be sure, only iPhones were live phones.

In all three stores that were not the AT&T Corporate store, salespeople and managers professed love for the Nokia phones but couldn't sell them since they had no live phones. At Target, one of the salespeople started buying a 920 for himself in the computer after using with my 920!!

I know why Microsoft is building stores. Because they have no control over distribution. Nokia has an even bigger problem.

The phones sell themselves, show the screen, show the tiles, show the fluidity of the OS, show a photo, show a video. Done.

What do you think Nokia, MS can do about this? Do they want to? If Microsoft effectively kills Nokia, Microsoft is still around.
    05-15-2013 01:06 PM
    completely agreed. dummy phones sell nothing.

I talked with a sales rep yesterday that gushed about wp. he uses and iphone, and has a skin on it, to demo "what wp looks like" when people ask more. he agreed this was unacceptable.

he also said the stores refuse to stock $6000-10000 in live, real phones for demo purposes because of shrinkage and damage. my argument was that is possible in any business, and the showroom with the most widgets on hand to pick and compare will sell the most, making the cost and risk worthwhile. he agreed, partially, until he realized the exposure, and defaulted to "safe not sorry" in the end, unfortunately.

I'm not really sure why phone retailers believe this is a good approach:

here, sign this TWO YEAR CONTRACT on an untried, unknown (to you device), pay me money up front, and walk away hopeing you have made the right decision.

it likely doesn't work with car sales, id imagine.
    05-15-2013 02:11 PM
    I agree live phones would be much more helpful. I bought my 900 at Sam's Club where they had a live iphone 4s for ATT and a live iphone for VZN. I made up my mind a while before. Now they don't even have a live wp8 device but most of the phones are not live either. At my local ATT store they are live on display but they will let me play with alive one from the back. I am hoping that Nokia comes out with a note 2 sized phablet for ATT
    05-15-2013 04:55 PM
    I also have to agree. The main reason I ended up buying a Lumia 822 was because I was killing time in a Verizon store and went over and played with a live 822 and 8X. I was hooked immediately.
    05-15-2013 05:20 PM
    I agree, you actually have to see the OS in action and to feel it under your fingertips to see how beautiful and smooth WP is. Fortunately for me here I have a Nokia exclusive store located quite near to my house, and I can safely say that I go to the store almost every week to play with their devices, and the store's colours and design have definitely attracted many people walking by.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-15-2013 10:37 PM
    All of my local AT&T stores both corporate and franchise have live phones all over the place. I usually see at least one 920, and an 8X next to the Iphones.

everywhere else though, they are the dummy phone with the really cheap printed (looks like its dot matrix printed on crappy paper) backing lol

seeing these things in action really really helps the sale.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-16-2013 01:42 AM