05-22-2013 03:59 AM
29 12
tools
    If you want the functionality you are all describing, you need to have a way to inform the user of errors that might be encountered. Therefore, you will need a full background agent to achieve this, which is currently available for developers to use. If you want to introduce advanced features like this in your app, you need to make sure you are covering EVERY scenario and requirement.
    The two current background agents do a poor job of filling this hole. The periodic agent is obviously not what is desired, and the intensive one is simply too constrained.

As far as I can tell from MSDN documentation, you can catch errors in background transfers and act on it. Obviously this increases complexity and is likely unnecessary in a Twitter app, but it is arguably vital for applications which rely on potentially lengthy downloads and preloading. Personally, I think the existence of these transfers should be made more obvious to the user something a notification centre would handle very well.
    05-21-2013 10:23 AM
    There are so few developers interested in WP8 and a lot of things have to be done by hand because the system does not support it, even it you register a background task it simply can not work and if you went off the app it cant do anyting about it. Happens everytime I try to make something and switch app( or hit the search button accidentally) or change current app page,it cancels the operation and does nothing. Lets ask to MS to help, not put the guilt on the developers.
    05-21-2013 12:05 PM
    I believe you are conflating the standard issue background agents (which are likely familiar to many) and background file transfers (per manicottiK). I personally can't believe I've never seen anything on this until today, considering it apparently has been supported since Mango! An app can initiate an upload or download transfer when it is active which will run separate from the app and as such, not be frozen when you switch away from it. This should work to send tweets, download podcasts and similar.
    I'm not confusing or combining the two, I merely didn't mention daemons. I mentioned the background transfer API and push. As far as I can tell it is for large data operations and it might simply not be applicable to simple tasks like sending a tweet.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    05-21-2013 12:12 PM
    There are so few developers interested in WP8 and a lot of things have to be done by hand because the system does not support it, even it you register a background task it simply can not work and if you went off the app it cant do anyting about it. Happens everytime I try to make something and switch app( or hit the search button accidentally) or change current app page,it cancels the operation and does nothing. Lets ask to MS to help, not put the guilt on the developers.
    It would help if you provided specific examples for what you're looking to do, making blanket statements after there has been a page of discussion isn't beneficial to anyone.

There are specified scenarios for background processing provided by Microsoft. I remain of the opinion that this is the right approach, but it needs to be fleshed out further. Would you rather let developers do whatever they want in their apps? That will lead to lag, freezes, crashes, security vulnerabilities, lost data and such, whether from malicious intent, honest mistakes or laziness.

I'm not confusing or combining the two, I merely didn't mention daemons. I mentioned the background transfer API and push. As far as I can tell it is for large data operations and it might simply not be applicable to simple tasks like sending a tweet.
    Whether background workers or background transfer is the applicable method, it remains that there is at least one Twitter app on the store that sends tweets when you switch away from the app, which is exactly what the OP wanted. You said that "OP is correct in saying that you must wait for network operations to complete before multi tasking". That doesn't seem to hold in the light of the aforementioned APIs.

Saying that it is unfair to make developers implement extra code is really quite silly. If you want background processes, you will have to implement them in a specific way. If you don't want to spend the time doing so, that's your choice to make and your product may suffer for it. I don't see how this scenario is different from the thousands of other constraints that developers invariably run into.
    a5cent likes this.
    05-22-2013 03:59 AM
29 12