Windows Phone 8 First Time Owner Quickie Review

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally made the jump (or fall--not sure at this point) to Windows Phone 8 with the Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon Wireless. The move has been a long time coming as I've been lusting after a Nokia flagship on Verizon's network since the Lumia 900 was released. I'll summarize my experience thus far.

Why did I make the switch?

I switched from an iPhone 4. The iPhone wasn't my first, second or third choice (a work hand-me-down), but it's really the standard by which all smartphones should be judged. But I won't do a feature by feature comparison because that wouldn't be fair. It took time for Apple to get iOS to the point that it is now and it would be unfair to judge WP8 based on bells and whistles. I switched simply because iOS is boring and the iPhone is boring. It's the Toyota Camry of phones. You buy it because you want a quality smartphone that's easy to use. I hate the Android philosophy. It seems to be aimed at techies and tinkerers, and while I'm both of those, I don't want it to get in the way of my user experience. What I do love about Android is the variety of devices that support it. So I was kind of stuck in the middle. I wanted the simplicity and cleanness of the walled-garden but with some exciting, sexy hardware. iPhone was sexy a few years ago, but in the age of Galaxy S and Lumia, it just doesn't hold a candle. I like Verizon and wanted something different, so I went with the Nokia Lumia 928.

Windows Phone 8:

I'll try to be as fair as possible, but it's been a jarring experience for me. It seems that with Windows Phone 8, Microsoft opted for distinguishing features over parity with the competition. While Kid's Corner is a great idea, I would really have liked to have different alert tones for different e-mail accounts so I'm not running to my phone every time it buzzes. Then the notification system isn't as good as I thought it would be. I use Twitter a lot for traffic alerts and was surprised to see that I don't get alerted when someone tweets. Hell, the Twitter "Live" Tile doesn't even work. That leads me to another point: All "Live Tiles" aren't actually LIVE. Microsoft's own Weather app is just an icon and apparently so is Twitter. So Microsoft isn't even enforcing this distinguishing feature that is supposed to set it apart from the competition. Yeah, Android and iOS may just be a "grid of icons" but at least the icons look pretty. Nothing is worse than a flat, ugly icon that doesn't do squat. Why the hell is it taking up valuable real-estate on my start screen? The biggest offender is the Mail live tile. Give me a break, Microsoft, because this works fine in Windows 8 RT and Pro. I don't want the mail tile to tell me how many new messages I have, show me a preview of the first couple of messages when I have the full tile.

I fully expect MS to make up the feature parity gap but it's definitely a head-scratcher for them to ditch features that were even present in Windows Mobile in favor of flash and pomp. I think the marketing people care more about the stuff that works great for a commercial, but not the other stuff. At the end of the day, we want to be productive with the phones. And, oh yeah, the phone part works great.

But my advice for anyone looking to make the jump is to wait until a couple more revisions. Windows Phone 8 still seems like a beta test that's taking forever to wrap up.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
sorry, your post seemed more of a tear down than a review. then to top it all off, your suggestion for anyone who wants to switch, is not to. ppl like you keep curious on lookers away from the platform.

I don't have no where near as much negativity towards wp8 as you do. my 8x has been the most reliable, efficient, and all around best phone I have ever had, hands down. its not perfect, but what it does it does extremely well.
I'm just sorry that everyone doesn't get it.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
You make some valid points. However, I don't agree with your last statement - "But my advice for anyone looking to make the jump is to wait until a couple more revisions. Windows Phone 8 still seems like a beta test that's taking forever to wrap up.". The things you've mentioned specifically bother you, but may not be an issue to others. So a blanket statement cautioning people to stay away seems unfair. Yes, WP8 still has some growing to do, but that shouldn't stop people from trying it out to see if it's the right choice for them.

rob45

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Give it time. I switched from IPhone (your assessment matches mine) also and it seemed a come down at first but the more I use WP8 the more I like it. It grows on you. My wife now has my old IPhone and when she complains about something I have to use it again it seems lame to my WP8 phone. This surprises me but in a good way! WP8 is a sort of work in progress but like Windows in general I like watching the progress.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
sorry, your post seemed more of a tear down than a review. then to top it all off, your suggestion for anyone who wants to switch, is not to. ppl like you keep curious on lookers away from the platform.

I don't have no where near as much negativity towards wp8 as you do. my 8x has been the most reliable, efficient, and all around best phone I have ever had, hands down. its not perfect, but what it does it does extremely well.
I'm just sorry that everyone doesn't get it.
I know you guys are hardcore WP8 fanboys, so I won't try to sway your viewpoint. This is more for the people on the fence. I'm objective and agnostic. I was a huge fan of Palm webOS. My main PC at home runs Windows 8 Enterprise and I just replaced my iPad with a Windows RT Dell tablet. I'm "all-in" into the Microsoft ecosystem. But I'm intellectually honest as well. The common person coming over from another platform are going to have issues. I had more issues with the OS that were mostly from it being just different and required some adjustments. But the "Live" tile issue is a big issue for me because it's THE distinguishing feature. What's disappointing is that MS isn't leading from example in this instance.

At the end of the day I still bought the phone and I'm keeping it.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Give it time. I switched from IPhone (your assessment matches mine) also and it seemed a come down at first but the more I use WP8 the more I like it. It grows on you. My wife now has my old IPhone and when she complains about something I have to use it again it seems lame to my WP8 phone. This surprises me but in a good way! WP8 is a sort of work in progress but like Windows in general I like watching the progress.
Yeah, I'm still playing with the phone as I speak. It's going to take a while to shift my thinking. For example, in iOS I could receive new mail alerts from multiple folders (I use Outlook rules alot). In WP8 to get the same functionality, I have to pin the folder to the Start page.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I use Microsoft's weather app and it has a live tile. You don't pin the app tile, you open the app and pin your city. The same goes for other apps. Explore their settings first to enable their live tile. For twitter I suggest rowi. I use it on my Windows Phone 8 and my Windows RT tablet. It has a beautiful single and doublewide live tile.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Arsynic I really admire your honesty. It's always going to be a shock going from one ecosystem to another and it's not always a nice one. I was heavily entrenched in Android before I came to Windows Phone and it took me a while to get used to it. Give yourself a week or two to adjust to the different way things work. You have some very good points and I agree on a few of them, but I wouldn't try to actively discourage new people from trying out the phone. Windows Phone is all about showing you the information you want on the start screen to save you from opening the app. In some larger (double-wide) tiles like messages and emails this is partly true but I agree some space is wasted and it'd be nice if a few more emails could be shown.

As far as weather apps go, try out some of the alternatives. If you've got a Lumia you can try some of the ones in the Nokia Collection and there are lots to choose from generally. One good one is Amazing Weather HD, shows you a bunch of information on the Live Tiles and you can specify the information you want to see on the tile as it gives you some different choices. Try out the WPCentral app, too. If you tell us your needs from the live tiles or apps maybe we can help you by recommending some great apps that have better live tiles!

Hope some of this helps you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss