Mary Jo Foley on GDR2 and GDR3

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN] Let's refrain from posting insults and other nonsensical things that don't contribute to the topic at hand. [/WARN]

I think MS is doing fine with the updates, we are getting 3 in one year including one big one. I feel that blue for the most part will bring in all the requested features. WP is stronger than ever now and things can only go upward rather than down.

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
[WARN] Let's refrain from posting insults and other nonsensical things that don't contribute to the topic at hand. [/WARN]

I think MS is doing fine with the updates, we are getting 3 in one year including one big one. I feel that blue for the most part will bring in all the requested features. WP is stronger than ever now and things can only go upward rather than down.

we have small chance to receive the blue this year

And regarding to "we are getting the requested features", Mary Jo said we don't even seem getting VPN by early 2014 which is the wp blue debut (the worst case)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To clarify, I wasn't expecting major features from these interim updates either. I was expecting at least a few superficial things though. Things that didn't go any deeper than the UI, such as better volume control or a somewhat more feature rich IE UI. At the top of this year I assumed that the quickened release schedule was at least in part to add such features (and obviously bug fixes), as WP8 was no doubt released on a very tough time schedule.

I didn't create this thread as another place to complain about MS slow progress. Like I said, much of this is due to MS still adjusting the foundation. While the foundation is still being reengineered, it simply isn't possible to efficiently build more on top of it. The number of employees assigned to that task doesn't change much. I've personally worked on projects where adding more employees, in an attempt to accelerate the pace, achieved nothing but to make things even worse. Most industry veterans will tell you that is the rule, not the exception. Software development isn't comparable to an infinitely scalable assembly line.

I'm more interested in what you guys assume MS is thinking at this point? How do you imagine they manage priorities? How do you think MS would describe WP's target audience, and do you think we are in it?

I know that is all speculation. I don't think we can really judge until WPB is released. Unfortunately, speculate is all we can do.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought Microsoft 'ran out of time' for the notification center. It's been like 8 months now, I wonder by what amount did they run out of time.

I am guessing anything we thought we were getting or wanted is being put on hold or isn't worth releasing just yet because of the Blue update... I am just wondering if they are going to make the Desktop, Tablet, Xbox and Phone all use the same apps which would be amazing!

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I am guessing anything we thought we were getting or wanted is being put on hold or isn't worth releasing just yet because of the Blue update... I am just wondering if they are going to make the Desktop, Tablet, Xbox and Phone all use the same apps which would be amazing!

mary jo said no about the unifying. Check her tweets

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Just the fact that desktop/tablet are in landscape mode and phone in portrait mode should tell you that they will never truly run the same apps.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to pop WP's team delusional bubble

Or give them a shirt that says, " Please get your head out of those pretty Windows Blue clouds and lets make Windows Phone what we know it can be!...Love, your #1 Fan and Loving Critic..." At least that's what I would say! Lol! Its frustrating, because I know it can be better, but I don't know if they want/believe it can. I know without a doubt that Nokia is trying to make it the best Windows Phone experience it can be...and I really love my 8X, but I know they can give us a 10 all across the board!

You know, I really think they need a pep talk...c'mon Microsoft you can do it! :)

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Just the fact that desktop/tablet are in landscape mode and phone in portrait mode should tell you that they will never truly run the same apps.
yea but the thing is when u snap one of the apps to the left or the right they are essentially the windows phone app. Take the twitter app for example snap it to the left or the right and its basically the windows phone version of the app. Which makes sense for them to unify everything with the talk of them getting rid of Microsoft points and making it all windows points I think they're going to unify them all and have the next xbox play the role as a computer/console/tv more so with the new system

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
How do I tell Microsoft to include Rotation lock(or screen orientation lock) in their next update? Anyone knows? Thank you!

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
There is the UserVoice forum where you can voice your requests for new features. There is also an app on the store for it. Believe me rotation lock is one of the most requested features since WP7 - but they decided against implementing it anyway.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
How do I tell Microsoft to include Rotation lock(or screen orientation lock) in their next update? Anyone knows? Thank you!

I am also hoping for this since wp7. But it still isn't there. It really annoys me when I lay in bed and my screen rotates to landscape haha.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
yea but the thing is when u snap one of the apps to the left or the right they are essentially the windows phone app. Take the twitter app for example snap it to the left or the right and its basically the windows phone version of the app. Which makes sense for them to unify everything with the talk of them getting rid of Microsoft points and making it all windows points I think they're going to unify them all and have the next xbox play the role as a computer/console/tv more so with the new system
Um.... I don't think it will happen very soon. The Windows Devices don't have back button, which plays a very important role in Windows Phone devices. To unify them, either Windows Team adds a back button, or Windows Phone team removes it from a future update.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought Microsoft 'ran out of time' for the notification center. It's been like 8 months now, I wonder by what amount did they run out of time.

Let me guess, they decided to cancel it after all. WP does not need no stinkin notification center, custom volume levels, universal search and great apps. Nah, it has Kids Corner so all is right with the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo