Mary Jo Foley on GDR2 and GDR3

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Article

Important points:

GDR1 - GDR3 are primarily about bug fixes and adding smaller features requested by OEMs. No major new OS features can be expected from any of them.

GDR2 should bring "some much-needed Xbox music app fixes". If that is true, GDR2 will be the first version of WP8 that isn't a functional downgrade from WP7.

We could possibly get WPB and still not have VPN support.

Allegedly, the Windows Phone team thinks that the current base phone operating system is largely good enough for now.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The biggest fix I'm hoping for in Xbox Music is that damn split second skip when streaming, about 15 seconds before the next song comes on. It drives me crazy.

Still, the types of changes we're hearing about just don't sound like enough with so much needed in WP.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
All the news i've read about GD2 has been pretty underwhelming so far, with Nokia (as usual) adding the more interesting features.

If Microsoft haven't added at least some of the top requested features over at the Uservoice site for Windows Phone, then more people are going to abandon Ship.

I would say the current base phone operating system has unfulfilled potential, but they certainly shouldn't be sitting around thinking it's 'good enough for now'.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds awful. MS will lost market if they will only fix, but don't produce any new features.
I don't care about Bugdriod, but if Apple will add a lot of new features in next OS/Iphone, I definitely will forget about MS forever as mobile OS company.
Currently WP is like a big ill child. :(

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
these are not big updates, they are intermediate fixes like Apples x.2 type releases. Blue is the next major update kinda like apples IOS7-IOS8-IOS9 etc.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
these are not big updates, they are intermediate fixes like Apples x.2 type releases. Blue is the next major update kinda like apples IOS7-IOS8-IOS9 etc.

I agree. These are not major updates they're just fixes. Also I would consider GDR3 a hardware update since its going to support 1080p and quad core etc.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting a bit more than just fixes and an updated chassis spec. Not a lot more, since I understand they are still primarily working on low level OS integration tasks, but nevertheless more.

It feels like WP8, at the end of 2013 and from a consumers point of view, will be no further along than WP7 was.

Their rediculously stupid shut-up mantra isn't helping me figure out where WP is going either, so I'm ever less certain what MS' vision for WP is, and and if the potential I see will ever be realized.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Some people come out and say "Oh well they're going at the same pace or even slightly faster than Apple and Android". Trouble is, they're not Apple or Android, so they need to be going faster, those two are coming up to lap Windows Phone.

The features that people are crying out for on the Uservoice site need to be pushed out, not waiting almost another year for the next 'big' update. I'm willing to stick with Windows Phone, but for a lot of people this will all be too little too late.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
"Good enough for now" ? Oh man.... That sounds like we're not going to get a bunch of features we asked for. I guess I'll have to see what the next version of IOS brings before deciding if I want to keep my WP.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Some people come out and say "Oh well they're going at the same pace or even slightly faster than Apple and Android". Trouble is, they're not Apple or Android, so they need to be going faster, those two are coming up to lap Windows Phone.

The features that people are crying out for on the Uservoice site need to be pushed out, not waiting almost another year for the next 'big' update. I'm willing to stick with Windows Phone, but for a lot of people this will all be too little too late.

I would rather the updates be done right, than rushed out the door and done half assed.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The windows team has their hands full at the moment doing the updates for blue, And it would take some time to find qualified people to work on the Windows phone development team. either / or it will take time.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
im not expecting any major features from GDR1 - GDR2 - GDR3 they are called minor updates for a reason but im expecting a lot of features from Blue since its a major update and before they add any major features there is a need for making the OS solid as a rock, when they finally accomplish that goal then they can put what ever they want

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If this entire year will be solely maintenance, Blue better be big. Myerson called Windows Phone the startup within Microsoft, but startups don't sit complacent. Unless he meant that his team was startup-sized…

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
If the other storage issue is fixed completely that'll be a great start for me! And when I say fixed, I mean the ability to retrieve the GBs lost and the problem not return in the future...ever! Lol! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb