Sync WP8 calendar with Mac iCal?

Brian C Stradale

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am a Mac user who chose a Windows Phone 8 over an iPhone.
The biggest downside to that has been the inability to sync iCal on my Mac with my phone.
And that is a pretty big downside.

Is there a way?
Or is there another Calendar app out there that can sync with iCal?

Brian C Stradale

May 19, 2013
Visit site

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Fellow mac users here. There is no way to support two way sync Outlook.com calendar on mac's iCal app or Outlook Application of the Microsoft Office Suite. However, you can get the address of your outlook.com calendar and add the read-only view of it to iCal.
The good news is that Microsoft is adding CardDAV and CalDAV to windows phone (I believe - they promised it when Google discontinued the support for EAS, hopefully the update will be pushed out before Google discontinues support for EAS). And iCloud's mail/calendar/contact services are just a thinly veiled imap/carddav/caldav service. Even though Apple will not tell you how to set them up on your phone or computer, you can still figure it out by looking at the configurations on your mac/pc for iCloud.
The best part, you can just add your @me.com/@icloud.com email to your windows phone by adding it to your accounts. The phone will figure out the correct server configurations and you can get your iCloud emails now.

Nik Kunkel

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bump up such an old post. I'm curious if there has been any progress on this front as I would dearly like to sync my ical with my Lumia 1020.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I know there are some third party apps for the MAC that can make outlook.com work as exchange and it will work with Outlook 2011.

Gee Are Pabst

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Hans,

unfortunately, this doesn't work anymore: For some months, the iCloud subscription in Outlook.com stopped syncing correctly. It seems that Microsot is not really willing to solve the problem: iCloud Calendar Subscription on Outlook.com: Microsoft Forum Moderator States ‘We Don’t Support 3rd Party Calendars’ | miApple.me

We have to wait until Microsoft has implemented CalDAV/CardDAV support. At the moment, the only way to sync a Windows Phone with iCal is the above mentioned detour via iCloud und Google Calendar subscription (if Google Sync still works on your Windows Phone...).

Cheers,
Gee Are

trancewarpdj73

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I just stumbled upon a solution for this. I don't know if you guys are still looking for a way to sync your iCalendar to windows phone 8 but you can do it using the iCloud service and a link it provides to share it. You will need a Microsoft account.
Check out this link iCloud: Share a calendar with others click on the share icon, select public share option, copy the link and click ok.
With your Hotmail, Live or Outlook.com account go to Calendars and click import. Name the calendar and paste the URL.
It's that simple. It worked for me.

Gee Are Pabst

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I"m sorry! I just checked my iCloud email subscription on Outlook.com/ WL Calendar and it is working again! Thanks for the hint!
@Hans: Can you check it, too?

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just stumbled upon a solution for this. I don't know if you guys are still looking for a way to sync your iCalendar to windows phone 8 but you can do it using the iCloud service and a link it provides to share it. You will need a Microsoft account.
Check out this link iCloud: Share a calendar with others click on the share icon, select public share option, copy the link and click ok.
With your Hotmail, Live or Outlook.com account go to Calendars and click import. Name the calendar and paste the URL.
It's that simple. It worked for me.

Does this method allow for proper syncing on both directions between the Calendar app on my Mac and my outlook.com calendar on my other devices? Or is it only a one-way sync? (ie if I add a new event on my phone, will it sync back to my Mac and vice versa?)

poppizel

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This scheme works for me. I use both Apple OS and iOS as well as Windows Phone. You will need to turn off iCloud syncing with iCal for this to work. We will need to have a gmail account and be willing to set up a Calendar within your gmail account. You then set up a sync between your gmail calendar and your iCal on any or all of your Mac OS devices. Then set up a google account on your phone, if you can, and devote your calendar etc to the google account on the phone. When you refresh your google mail (whether you have mail or not on that account) you will sync your phone with your Mac OS etc devices. Refresh can be manual or automatic. If you grow impatient while on your Mac calendar, you can refresh manually as well. Its two way and works.....The key is to turn off iCloud syncing for the Apple iCal or calendar. Hope this helps.

Gee Are Pabst

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
This scheme works for me. I use both Apple OS and iOS as well as Windows Phone. You will need to turn off iCloud syncing with iCal for this to work. We will need to have a gmail account and be willing to set up a Calendar within your gmail account. You then set up a sync between your gmail calendar and your iCal on any or all of your Mac OS devices. Then set up a google account on your phone, if you can, and devote your calendar etc to the google account on the phone. When you refresh your google mail (whether you have mail or not on that account) you will sync your phone with your Mac OS etc devices. Refresh can be manual or automatic. If you grow impatient while on your Mac calendar, you can refresh manually as well. Its two way and works.....The key is to turn off iCloud syncing for the Apple iCal or calendar. Hope this helps.

Why need I to turn off iCloud syncing with iCal to get it work? Couldn't I just set up a Google calendar in iCal?

tb2k

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I stumbled on this solution by accident while I was trying to get an ical from my boss to sync with google so that I could sync it on my Lumia 1520 via google calendar (which doesn't work as well as this solution does.
Here is what has been working for me:
Copy the webcal share link (webcal://p04-calendarws.icloud.com/ca/subscribe/....)
Go to https://icaltogcal.com/
Use the site to generate a new URL
copy the new URL
Log into your Microsoft Account that is associated with the phone you are using.
Go to the Calendar tab
Click IMPORT (between New & share)
Next page choose the SUBSCRIBE option
Paste the new calendar URL you got from https://icaltogcal.com/
Hit Subscribe
Go to your Phone Settings>Email+accounts
Sync your Microsoft Account
Your new calendar will instantly appear on your phone.
Sync time is immediate. when my boss updates his shared calendar, my outlook.com, and phone calendar update within minutes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos