Is there a way to quit (not just suspend) an app?

Brian C Stradale

May 19, 2013
Visit site
When you hold the back button you can see all the apps that are running (suspended) and switch to one quick... but is there some way to get rid of one? (swiping up or down doesn't do it)

Why do I want to do that? For starters...
(1) If the app does things in the background (like Skype does), then you might want to quit it if you don't want it doing those things now (even if you normally like it it to do those things, so you don't want to block it in settings).
(2) If there's value in having an app resume rather than restart, then you may not want it to auto-quit due to other apps you run... so quit those others.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The only way is to repeatedly hit the back button in the app to close it. Hopefully in an upcoming update Microsoft would implement a swipe up or down or an x below the app.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hold down the home button to show all recent apps. Tap on the one that you want to get rid of (it will then open). Press the back button to kill the app.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hold down the home button to show all recent apps. Tap on the one that you want to get rid of (it will then open). Press the back button to kill the app.

OP wants to kill the app using a swipe method or a shortcut key instead of going inside the app and pressing the back button.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I see these posts I blame Android for obsessive app management. It took my girlfriend (ex android user) a couple weeks to just relax and let it roll. I had to keep reminding her that she has a phone that just works without the need to constantly close apps.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i see iOS users closing an app after every use too - it does kinda make sense but it really isnt necessary with the way theyre designed

I personally like the control such a thing allows. Which app lives, and which app dies! <evil laugh>

Still miss webOS's cards.

Brian C Stradale

May 19, 2013
Visit site
It is NOT that I want obsessive control... I am generally happy leaving things open. I usually have dozens of apps open at all times on my computer.

But if I want to close an app for some reason, I want to have that control. Skype is a key one that I want to control... mapping apps is another.

I didn't realize that if I select it from the list and then hit back that it would actually close it. That is actually workable. A swipe up or down would be quicker and more obvious... but I am glad to have a way. So, thanks for that rider2040!

P.S. On the flip side, there have been times when I wanted Skype to stay open and it was "randomly" going away... and I wasn't sure why... probably because I hit back thinking it was just navigating to the last app, not quitting the app I was on. It would be nice to be able to flip back to the prior app real quick without quitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6