Small Fish in a big Pond - or - Big Fish in a little Pond

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Just food for thought for some writers/bloggers and shareholders wondering why Nokia just doesn't make an android phone

Samsung swipes 95 percent of total industry profits earned from Android phones
Samsung collected 95 percent of Q1 2013 Android profits | Digital Trends

95% Samsung
02.5% LG
02.5% is split between Sony and HTC to Huawei, Acer and ZTE and <cough> others (Motorola)

Now if Nokia was to make an Android phone is it realistic that there design would automatically translate into 5%, 10% or 20% of the profits?I am not sure Nokia look and feel and service would just be that big of a differentiator. I mean the HTC One and Sony phones are some nice looking items...yet that can seem to gain any traction.
Elop, may have been right in casting his lot with WP even if WP only gets to the 5%-10% in total smartphone shipments.

Eitherway, I am not sure switching to android means instant success...there are some other variables at play here

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just food for thought for some writers/bloggers and shareholders wondering why Nokia just doesn't make an android phone

Samsung swipes 95 percent of total industry profits earned from Android phones
Samsung collected 95 percent of Q1 2013 Android profits | Digital Trends

95% Samsung
02.5% LG
02.5% is split between Sony and HTC to Huawei, Acer and ZTE and <cough> others (Motorola)

Now if Nokia was to make an Android phone is it realistic that there design would automatically translate into 5%, 10% or 20% of the profits?I am not sure Nokia look and feel and service would just be that big of a differentiator. I mean the HTC One and Sony phones are some nice looking items...yet that can seem to gain any traction.
Elop, may have been right in casting his lot with WP even if WP only gets to the 5%-10% in total smartphone shipments.

Eitherway, I am not sure switching to android means instant success...there are some other variables at play here

Idk about instant success. There is much more to it then what meets the eye. I'm sure Nokia has crunched the numbers and if they found they'd have more success with android then wp then they would have done it. But I think Microsoft has put a lot of money into Nokia to keep them alive through wp, money that Google wouldn't put into Nokia if they ran Android.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
the great thing about competition:

everyone wins. the winner gets the fame, the losers get to regroup and try again. there is innovation in engineering.

lots of good things happen. i'm all for it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Idk about instant success. There is much more to it then what meets the eye. I'm sure Nokia has crunched the numbers and if they found they'd have more success with android then wp then they would have done it. But I think Microsoft has put a lot of money into Nokia to keep them alive through wp, money that Google wouldn't put into Nokia if they ran Android.

shouldn't nokia be standing on their own successes ? it will make them stronger.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The easiest way to tell if people haven't read any financials "Samsungs has 95% of the profits" but they never say why.

The Samsung group keeps everything in house. Screens, casing, processors, and even the packaging. Its all profit.

Nokia made a wise decision, they went with the open wallet of Microsoft. Go with Microsoft with instant cash coming in or go with Google and hope to make some money?

Its not rocket science.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99