So, I have searched around the web for a solution and I think only CompanionLink and Akruto Sync do this. But I don't want to do this, I don't use Outlook 2007-2013 since I want to have everything in the "cloud". Long have I searched to be able to put categories on my email's calendar, why? Becuase I want to have categoric view, i want to have a colorful glance at my appointments and i'm sure many of you do too.

As I scoured the internet, I ended up thinking that I needed to create a couple of "one tasked" emails to sync to my phone and calendar. Create for example a calendarpersonal@hotmail.com and calendarwork@hotmail.com that way I could have color coded and "categories" on my phone. So I went to outlook.com again with my main and only email address and found that I could do categories to the calendar and tasks! OMG! I'VE FOUND IT (i thought). I rapidly entered some of my data to 5 newly created categories and added entries and tasks to each to see how they look and they look great... i thought, "this is just what I wanted, now let me wait a couple of minutes since its not appearing yet on my phone" ... and I waited... and waited. After this I realized this was not possible, or is it?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...DYWsfclRfYVBS4 This is how my calendar looks online at outlook.com

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Hhi6jCnHd8AlDQ This is how my categories look online at outlook.com

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...J0lYfAcp20tY6o and this is sadly, how it looks on my phone... note that the other categories do not appear, I have renamed the main category to "personal" alas, its the only one to appear.

So, am I doing something wrong. Is this a known problem and most importantly how do I solve this???? Please do not refer me to Akruto or Companion Link, it is not what i'm looking for.
    Feel free to post your thoughts on this too if its happening to you or if you've found an app or something that work similarly.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails calendar-overview.jpg   calendar-options.jpg   wp_ss_20130521_0001.png  
    05-21-2013 10:52 PM
    Hit the 3 dots on the bottom of the calendar app. Go into settings and you should be able to change the colors of all the calendars (or categories as you call it) in your account.
    05-21-2013 11:13 PM
    Despite your alarmist title, I don't think MS has anything to fix. I have set up multiple MS calendars and they appear in different colours on my phone.

Have you checked on your phone that all the appropriate calendars are being synced? Open Calendar and goto ...>Settings. You should see a list of all the calendars you've set up online. You can also customise the colour for each calendar here.

If you don't see the full list of calendars, then your phone isn't syncing to your MS account properly.
    05-21-2013 11:19 PM
    Its not that kind of calendar and it never had the look you speak of. Its a basic calendar. Like Notepad. Its basic. It works, but its basic.

( Until you published those images, I never realized just how basic a look it had. lol.)

Well, its the design language and it keeps to that.

Anyway, there are other calendars you can choose but not having THE calendar that does pictures is certainly no reason to abandon everything else you like about your phone. Try another good looking calendar. Developers have plenty options. I like the Chronos calendar. Probably the best looking calendar on the WP scene. I also like Colorful Calendar. Like whimsical stuff? Human Calendar is there. There is also Iconical. Remember this phone has a design language and its called ModernUI. MS will keep to that better than other developers might.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-21-2013 11:37 PM
    Hit the 3 dots on the bottom of the calendar app. Go into settings and you should be able to change the colors of all the calendars (or categories as you call it) in your account.
    This. The colors don't transfer over. And you had me confused for a minute because I don't call them categories. They are separate and individual calendars that you can turn on and off on your phone.
    05-22-2013 06:56 AM
    Well, now this is embarrassing, today i woke up and found that my calendar categories (the colored ones) DID SYNC!!! I may have been desperate last night, but i did wait a lot of time. anyways, the first picture is now how my calendar looks, and i'm now a happy camper :D , although there's a little something that bothers me still. You can see on the second pictures that the categories for the tasks, did stay all in green, although they still remain different categories...

I would like to have the same colors on my phone (3rd pic) as I do on my online calendar tasks (4th pic)

Guess you can't have them all, I use "to do today" app and it takes care of that, but i'd rather have the hotmail integration across all my devices with one color, than have them colorful in one place.

BTW Hypnopotamos and Oz, I did tried the settings tab... i've tried it since october. I don't know what happend, maybe because i started yesterday to tinker in hotmail and on the phone it must've set some switch off... or maybe MS really did not want to lose me as a client and they did an update overnight hahaahaha. Also, Jazmac, i suggest you look into this too, something tells me you didn't know about this also

So, now finally, does anybody know of an app that's not "to do today" that can sync and give me color categories? or maybe i'm doing something wrong with "to do today" or the original tasks.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20130522_0001-1-.png   wp_ss_20130522_0002-1-.png   wp_ss_20130522_0003.png   calendar-tasks.jpg  
    05-22-2013 07:01 AM
    Well, that delay is not normal anyways.
    05-22-2013 07:05 AM
    BTW guys, there ARE categories. that's how they are called online. please don't confuse it with having different email accounts assign to different colors. that is not it. See on this screenshots that I DO have various categories under 1 hotmail account (and its becuase I created them on outlook.com first, on my desktop) . I have not found a way to create them on the phone, yet they have synced over. see this pictures: Note that the gmail and facebook calendars are turned off. If i had other emails synced to it, they would have appear here too.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20130522_0005-1-.png   wp_ss_20130522_0006-1-.png  
    05-22-2013 07:07 AM
    BTW guys, there ARE categories. that's how they are called online. please don't confuse it with having different email accounts assign to different colors. that is not it. See on this screenshots that I DO have various categories under 1 hotmail account (and its becuase I created them on outlook.com first, on my desktop) . I have not found a way to create them on the phone, yet they have synced over.
    Sorry, but didnīt you say in the first post of the Topic that you created several hotmail accounts?

Iīm confused, it looks that you just added several different calendars (listed as hotmail accounts ), not one calendar with different categories.

I always heard that categories from outlook (desktop) werenīt supported by WP8.

I donīt use Outlook.com (I just have the account).
    05-22-2013 09:15 AM
    Sorry if confused some of you. I never did create the 'calendarpersonal@hotmail.com nor the calendarwork@hotmail.com' there were just example. I onky have one microsoft account, which ia pbangdiwala@hotmail.com. Under this same account i was able to create varios calendar categories that are now color coded on the desktop and mobile. I will create later a tutorial on how to do thia, since ive posted this around forums too and people seem to not grasp everything this Microsoft products do... Like all of ms products lol
    05-22-2013 09:50 AM
    That is weird. So, you are creating calendar categories in outlook.com, that are perceived as different accounts in WP8.
    Please, if you have also Outlook (desktop version), check if they sync properly too.

When I connected Exchange Online (that has almost the same outlook.com web app interface) to Outlook (desktop), it just deleted all my desktop colored categories.
    05-22-2013 10:52 AM
    BTW guys, there ARE categories. that's how they are called online.
    Sorry, but for me I only see the option to create new CALENDARS for a single account, not CATEGORIES (unless you have a language other than English selected and this is a translation misunderstanding). From the original pictures you posted it is clear that you are creating multiple calendars for one Outlook.com account. There is no 'categories' settings within a single calendar as far as I know . When you create a new event or task online, you can set which CALENDAR to associate it with. There is nowhere, as far as I can see, to create or select a CATEGORY for a task or event.

See on this screenshots that I DO have various categories under 1 hotmail account (and its becuase I created them on outlook.com first, on my desktop) .
    What I see from the pictures is that you have multiple CALENDARS under one hotmail account.
    gapost and svenhassel like this.
    05-22-2013 08:38 PM
    I would like to have the same colors on my phone (3rd pic) as I do on my online calendar tasks (4th pic)
    The built in 'to-do' view doesn't support colour coding.

So, now finally, does anybody know of an app that's not "to do today" that can sync and give me color categories? or maybe i'm doing something wrong with "to do today" or the original tasks.
    When you talk about an app called "to do today", are you talking about this app available from the Windows Phone Store, or are you are talking about the 'to-do' view within the Windows Phone 8 Calendar app. Unfortunately the to-do view does not display items in the associated calendar colour. I've never used the To Do Today app, but it appears that is does support multiple categories, though I'm not sure if there's any integration with the Outlook 'to-do' list.
    05-22-2013 08:47 PM