Its kind of serious ... get some important apps in the store

Tommy Rayburn

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Almost every organization nowadays has an Android and iOS app. Some will also have a BlackBerry or Windows Phone app. But almost no-one has an app for all four. If Microsoft wants Windows Phone usage to grow it has to make it easier for developers to create apps and get apps them to market. This is how Android went from 3% to 30% between July, 2009 and December, 2010.

Apps had nothing to do with Android market shares, apps were a biproduct of the increase in shares. It increased because iPhone at the time was still only on AT&T.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure your friends don't care if you have this or that App, at least they shouldn't.

Feeling left out and insecure over not being able to talk about Apps..well, that's probably the real issue that needs looking at.

its not a MAJOR problem but its just the fact that when someone asks me " do you have this app ? " i cant give him/her a straight yes but would rather give him "im not sure , ill check " and I understand these apps are useless , i dont like them anyways. but i expect that they would be there because they are everyday trends. For instance, one app is so popular for a month another app is popular for another month.One of the main purposes of having a powerful smartphone is that the smartphone should allow you to keep up with the everyday trends,and in that aspect microsoft is definitely not succeeding.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
90% of the apps in the iOS and Android stores are for kids/teenagers. Let's all grow up and use the more adult apps.
Even though i dont agree with this sentence , but lets assume its true. As far as i remember , microsoft said that they are aiming at younger generations who find windows 8 and windows phone 8 appealing , so i guess they should embrace this by helping developers of "kids/teenagers" apps do their thing

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Beginning to post this on every one of these threads:

Can hardly wait until there are no more of this threads. Now that we have Pandora, it is all about Instagram. After we get Instagram (and we will), what will be next?

But, I am living this. Right now, we are being forced to shop for a used, decent Android device for my Wife. She is trying to get a small, crafting company off the ground, and she needs a Credit Card reader. She has her first MAJOR craft show in June, and there is no mare waiting on WP to get one. So, even though we love our WP devices, she is moving to Android so long as there is not one. We will not add Tablets onto our plans.

These threads are real, the short comings are exactly that. I believe the apps are coming. I just see a need now like everyone else.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Beginning to post this on every one of these threads:

Can hardly wait until there are no more of this threads. Now that we have Pandora, it is all about Instagram. After we get Instagram (and we will), what will be next?

But, I am living this. Right now, we are being forced to shop for a used, decent Android device for my Wife. She is trying to get a small, crafting company off the ground, and she needs a Credit Card reader. She has her first MAJOR craft show in June, and there is no mare waiting on WP to get one. So, even though we love our WP devices, she is moving to Android so long as there is not one. We will not add Tablets onto our plans.

These threads are real, the short comings are exactly that. I believe the apps are coming. I just see a need now like everyone else.

Thank you for brining some reality to the these types of threads. I'm tired of hearing how great WP8 is and that we have 'all' we need. No we don't. I wish people would think outside their own personal needs and realise that there's so much more needed besides 'social media' apps.

Tony Dony

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I tell you what, I converted 5 girls from the school to switch from android and iphone to Nokia lumia because of the Glam Me.
Also when I show the City Lens or the new Here Maps update with Livesight, people just go insane and look to their Iphones and Androids with dissapointment.
We don't have popular apps from Android ? And what ? We will have them. I don't see any apps like City Lens on either Iphone or Android.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for brining some reality to the these types of threads. I'm tired of hearing how great WP8 is and that we have 'all' we need. No we don't. I wish people would think outside their own personal needs and realise that there's so much more needed besides 'social media' apps.

People make these threads because we don't have instagram and snapchat.

snowmutt's situation is very different though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
People make these threads because we don't have instagram and snapchat.

snowmutt's situation is very different though.

I know that people harp on about Snapchat and Instagram. My point has always been about niche apps and other popular apps that we are still missing, like banking apps. I could really care less about Instagram and Snapchat but I see their importance in the grand scheme of things. We need to attract the niche group as much as the masses. Especially being a Windows brand.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree that we need the niche apps to sort of keep up with the other os's but we surely need card reader's and their apps that go with them as well. I see ads for square and pay pal's card reader and I especially would like that to get money into my pay pal account or into my bank account. Getting fees through credit cards is a big thing as I can get more of my fees up front .

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Important to whom? There are many WP8 users and many of us have specials wants (I say wants instead of needs). I want direct USB synching between WP8 and Office Outlook.

I guess it's like my Mother use to say: "you are old enough for your wants not to hurt too bad".

Time will tell what comes; wish you luck on getting those apps you seem to need.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I know that people harp on about Snapchat and Instagram. My point has always been about niche apps and other popular apps that we are still missing, like banking apps. I could really care less about Instagram and Snapchat but I see their importance in the grand scheme of things. We need to attract the niche group as much as the masses. Especially being a Windows brand.

My bank doesn't support WP, and there's a lot of basic apps from android that WP does not have. I don't knew Instagram until yesterday( I think I've used it on Android but thought that was another social crap). On launch, iPhone had more apps than anyone so the problem is that MS is too busy to promote WP.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Important to whom? There are many WP8 users and many of us have specials wants (I say wants instead of needs). I want direct USB synching between WP8 and Office Outlook.

I guess it's like my Mother use to say: "you are old enough for your wants not to hurt too bad".

Time will tell what comes; wish you luck on getting those apps you seem to need.

I don't expect those apps anytime soon unfortunately. This is the issue and to keep dragging on about it. I know talking to people who are 'happy' with the way things are is pointless to talk to them about future potential or just reaching potential considering the other major platforms are already there. If you're happy, great. I'm generally happy to I just think that things are way too slow and I just wonder how much of this waiting we have to do. WP7 owners waited a long time then basically got their OS sidelined.

As for the USB syncing of Outlook. Yes if data connection is an issue I see your point. I don't have that issue so I'm happy to have Outlook connect with Outlook.com and everything syncs just fine. But I understand not everyone wants it that way.

Seminoles4Life

May 24, 2013
Visit site
may be if microsoft work their *** off atm and convince the developers by money or whatever to design the apps , things would be better. And dont blame it all on the developers. they need motivation too , they need a REASON to dedicate their own time to design an app for WP8
i love WP8 but i always freeze in an argument with an iphone user , because even though he has an iphone 4 whichc isnt even half as strong as lumia 920 , he still got the power of the apps. i never believed what im going to say but apps are eveything , a friggin iphone 3S has all the apps which makes it a competitor to the mighty lumia 920 . what a shame

Ahhh.... see that's where you are wrong, actually developers make more money off windows apps than any other eco-system, and you may not like the answer, but this is MORE of a developer issue, than Microsoft. Besides 140,000 apps in such short time........also, while the Iphone is a great device, the OS has not changed in years, so apps will accumulate. So, apps is the price you pay with true innovation

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has used an OS with a real app problem (I'm talking about Symbian, not WP), here's something I'd like to ask you.

My question is: do you hear Symbian users complain about apps? More often than not, the answer is no. When they bought their phones, they knew what they are getting themselves into.

Now, WP and BB10 are pretty much in the same boat. Sure, we have a "lack of apps" now. Sure, these platforms might never take off. But, we made the decision to go ahead and take the plunge. If the platform takes off, we have nothing but good coming from it. If it never does, you have a choice to stick with the relics of an abandoned platform (I like the sound of that, actually) or switch away.

My point is, WP still has a chance to get the apps you want (unlike Symbian). Just wait warmly until they are ready.

P.S. I typed this post while I was listening to this really sad somg.I hope you could bear with the tone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrysmith