Sheep!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
True! As I have said, the only reason my wife goes with iPhone is familiarity. She admits she likes my WP over Android, but I don't forsee her ever trying something new, thats how she rolls. She thinks I have some kind of disease because I 'need' the latest and greatest. She warned me if I talk about the new Xbox I am cut off. She wouldnt elaborate on cut off from what!? Anyways, since there are billions of individuals in this world, there is no one phone, or one OS that satisfies all of us. The trick is finding what you like. And for some, thats a very elusive target. I have enjoyed all my smart phones to some extent. I do have to admit the best portable smart devices I had that I really enjoyed and even miss from time to time is my NEC MobilPro and HP iPaq, they were just fun.

As of today, my preference is the WP OS, and although it is missing some 'basic' elements, and some apps (already discussed this issue in a different thread) I find it just simply works for me. Just like the iPhone simply works for my wife, even if she is wrong!

Exactly. I also think of it like this, if you've bought into the ecosystem and by that I mean spent money on apps, it can be quite difficult to switch platforms as you would have to buy those apps again in the ecosystem you've switched to. This probably explains the reluctance that people have to trying new platforms.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I also think of it like this, if you've bought into the ecosystem and by that I mean spent money on apps, it can be quite difficult to switch platforms as you would have to buy those apps again in the ecosystem you've switched to. This probably explains the reluctance that people have to trying new platforms.

There is the biggest hurdle, isn't it? The joys of Apple's built in customer base- they just have a ton invested in iTunes and apps. Apple was the first to make an OS that was consumer centric, and have continued to reap the rewards (rightfully so) of leading the way. Android gave consumers a choice at just the right moment- as Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry were all about business and not fun, and now everyone else is trying desperately to convince the multi-billion dollar mobile buying world to leave what they know and jump on something new.

Very, very tough sell, even if it is a better OS.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Lol...my wife was excited when she went from iPhone 3g to iPhone 5 for exact same reason. I tell her she's cute, smack her ****, smirk at her sheepness and move on. As long as she's happy.

amen brother amen! As long as my wife is happy I don't care what device she wants to use.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I was a windows-phone fan. I had no idea that there is no screen lock orientation.I had no idea there was no universal phone search. I had no idea that i cant set a custom tone for my IMs. I had no idea the notification sound for facebook , twitter , whatsapp etc. CANNOT be changed. I had no idea there isn't a way to exit an app directly (you have to constantly press the back button to exit an app). I had no idea that in order to toggle vibrate i would have to go into settings every time. I could go on....

sigh I had no idea that a windows-phone would be so far behind the competition. Wish i was a sheep :(

you know what's funny is that I haven't noticed any of that and frankly don't care. You know why, because I don't use any of those functions. Just so you know you can toggle vibrate by pushing the volume button the setting is in top right corner. Back to my point, it is bad that you don't have those options but I'm sure as everything goes there's somebody on a apple forum saying why don't we have xyz? I just happen to find WP more suitable to me and what I like and hopefully you can do the same ;)

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Just so you know you can toggle vibrate by pushing the volume button the setting is in top right corner.

No Sir ! That only toggles ringer. To toggle the vibrater i need to go into settings.

Back to my point, it is bad that you don't have those options but I'm sure as everything goes there's somebody on a apple forum saying why don't we have xyz?

As far as a feature rich platform goes , WP8 lags behind Andorid and IOS .

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
haha just a little bit.

I'm curios though as to what else you want the vibrate to silence? If I do the method I prescribe my phone makes no ring or noise unless I open a app which of course has its on controls.

I am talking about the vibrate function specifically. There is no way to quickly toggle between it like there is with the ringer by pressing the volume button.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How exactly is the platform supposed to move forward if people are so easily going to be offended by listing a few shortcomings......

True! The problem is that I'm not willing to be a guinea pig. Call me selfish, but I don't want to live with these "shortcomings" if I don't have to. I'll let you guys do that... :winktongue:

I'll come back later when WP is ready for prime time.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll come back later when WP is ready for prime time.

WP has been around long enough , and should have dealt with these things... .. I think this is what happens when there's a prevalent attitude of justifying what you bought is the best.
Why should an Iphone user be called a sheep if they want a platform that is mature , tried and tested instead of a platform that has been out there for 3 years and still lacking in some basic functions ?

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
WP has been around long enough , and should have dealt with these things... .. I think this is what happens when there's a prevalent attitude of justifying what you bought is the best.
Why should an Iphone user be called a sheep if they want a platform that is mature , tried and tested instead of a platform that has been out there for 3 years and still lacking in some basic functions ?

True, its been around a bit, I was using MS back when i was called CE! However, and I know this is going to start a whole other thread, I feel WP8 is a 'new' version of Windows mobile, and as such, with new hardware and new code, its going to take some time to 'get it right'. I knew going into this that there would be a lot of stuff screwed up, stuff that I was used to being standard with Android wouldn't be found at all in WP8. I also knew the market and ecosystem wouldn't be up there either, but thats not what I was looking for. I can easily live without all the customization, ringtones, settings, etc since I have a system that just works, day in - day out, no matter what I ask it to do.

And as for my comment about sheep, it was not meant for anything more than getting this post noticed. My wife isn't a sheep, at least when it comes to her phone. Now, thats not to say I don't know a few sheep out there. I have several who purchased the iPhone because, and I quote our conversation (albeit with some editing liberties), "because its the coolest!", "Oh, did you check out all the features, and stuff?", "No, but come on, its gotta be good, everyone has one!"
when I hear that, all I can think of is Steve Carrel in Evan Almighty, "SHEEP!".

She just asked me yesterday if I still liked my phone. I told her no, I don't. She looked at me with a deer in the headlight look. I told her I still LOVE my phone!

In fact, we were driving around, and she needed to find some store, so she pulled her phone out, googled it, and before she could map it, mine started to announce directions. She turned to me, said "I got this, put your phone away and drive". Ok, whatever, so I mute it. about a minute later she asked me if I could find it again. She exited the app on accident! I told her, I never stopped, just muted it.

She wont let me use my phone when she is trying to use hers, I think she is afraid to admit that my phone does beat hers in a few categories. My friend Blue wont even let me grab my phone out of my pocket, and yes, he is another iPhoner.

I will just continue to quietly use my phone as they watch!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Now that I think of it, I actually like some of the so-called shortcomings in WP. Because of them, I'm the only one in my class who's able to access everyone's photos within three taps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss