Nokia is Windows Phone

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
With the constant leading innovations, exclusive content, and growing number of services from Nokia, are we at the point where Windows Phone is identified as Nokia as iOS is Apple? HTC and a reluctant Samsung have pit out decent hardware but aside from that have been mostly absent from the Windows Phone landscape. And do we really even need Huawei and other low end less known OEMs on the platform. If Samsung and HTC never released another Windows Phone device would you miss the diversity? Or is a Nokia driven Windows Phone platform perfectly fine with you? Personally given the fact that Nokia creates such beautiful hardware coupled with leading camera and maps technology, as long as EVERY CARRIER(as far as the US is concerned) gets the same device, I believe I would be satisfied with that. What are your thoughts? Is Windows Phone on the verge of becoming a Nokia only manufacturer? Would you rather see Sony, Motorola, or LG get in the mix?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
let nokia handle Wp platform...they know how to build the hardware and beautiful phones ranging from 130$ to 450$..and they,all have killer looks..

moreover they are constantly pushing updates and bringing in more exclusive contents...so in a long run its good for them as well as for consumers...

HTC and sammy have android with them...so they hardly pay any attention to wp

conclusion: Nokia should be exclusively be given the rights to sell WP phones

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With the constant leading innovations, exclusive content, and growing number of services from Nokia, are we at the point where Windows Phone is identified as Nokia as iOS is Apple? HTC and a reluctant Samsung have pit out decent hardware but aside from that have been mostly absent from the Windows Phone landscape. And do we really even need Huawei and other low end less known OEMs on the platform. If Samsung and HTC never released another Windows Phone device would you miss the diversity? Or is a Nokia driven Windows Phone platform perfectly fine with you? Personally given the fact that Nokia creates such beautiful hardware coupled with leading camera and maps technology, as long as EVERY CARRIER(as far as the US is concerned) gets the same device, I believe I would be satisfied with that. What are your thoughts? Is Windows Phone on the verge of becoming a Nokia only manufacturer? Would you rather see Sony, Motorola, or LG get in the mix?
You dont need Huawei, ZTE and other less known? Do you know that 70% Android market is largely made out of 130mil gingerbread crap from this two "less known OEM"?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
First off, Nokia != Windows Phone. They still have their feature phones and the Asha OS, so there you go.
And, Windows Phone != Nokia. While there's no denying that Nokia is contributing the most, there is no reason to think of a Nokia monopoly. (It may happen in 12 months, though.)

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
With HTC apparently in free fall at the moment, this statement may be even more true than it already is soon.

Nokia really is doing a stellar job with Windows Phone though, not sure i'd say the same about Microsoft.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
With HTC apparently in free fall at the moment, this statement may be even more true than it already is soon.

Nokia really is doing a stellar job with Windows Phone though, not sure i'd say the same about Microsoft.

I'm just hoping WP grows quickly enough to pull more OEMs into the platform.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
At the moment it's a bit of a one horse race that's true. HTC and Samsung tend to release new hardware once a year or so and their support for the platform isn't really much compared to Nokia. You could argue that's because Nokia has everything banking on WP and HTC and Samsung are mainly interested in Android handsets at the moment but I'm not really sure that's an excuse... If you participate in a platform you should really throw your company behind it fully.

As was said on the Podcast yesterday if it continues to be Nokia = WP then what difference really is it from Apple? Competition drives companies to lower prices, give customers more features and innovate as well as just generally being better for the platform. I'd love to see HTC stepping up their game and releasing new devices (preferably ones they don't release and forget about like we've seen so many times with HTC) as well as Samsung really becoming a player. I'd also absolutely love to see Huawei become more serious about the platform as well as Sony.

But hey, I might be living in a dream world...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with OP and my two cents: The thing is, HTC can't decide what they want. They want the best of both the worlds and that can't happen. They try. I will give it to them. But trying doesn't mean you are succeeding. They have to get behind it with dedicated resources and make sure that what they have IS truly innovation. Having different and multicoloured handsets doesn't make u an innovator. (Though I admit I quite liked the designs.) What Nokia has pumped into WP is phenomenal. (Amazing) Apps, (Excellent) hardware, (Very useful) services etc...So yea..Nokia - 1, HTC - 0, Samsu....who?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Going to start this off with...

In my opinion.

If it does end up that Nokia = WP then MS have failed. WP needs as many different OEM's on board as possible to gain much needed market share and personally I don't like any of the lumia line of phones. HTC while currently failing as a company make great windows phones HD7, Titan and Titan 2 were all monster phones for WP7 before Nokia even came on board. Samsung's Focus & Trophy were also great phones for WP7. This time round the 8X, 8S and Ativ S are all worthy phones for WP8 and comparable to the Lumia line. Theres no denying what Nokia are doing for WP but like me there are many that just don't like the Nokia range. Diversity in devices but platform standard OS is what makes WP8 great and will make WP8 gain market share - One brand wont be able to do it on there own. HTC and Samsung have only ever released the phones and left out any further support. I went two years with an HD7 and not once did I wish that HTC were doing more.

I also believe that once WP gains marketshare Samsung will definitely put in more effort. It doesn't matter to them whether the OS is android or WP8 all that matters is cash in the bank and you can probably expect a monster of a phone from them once WP8 gets near 10% market share.

DynamicRam

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
When HTC released the 8X it was the best hardware WP8 can support at that time display+design+camera+audio it is a true flagship and i don't think that HTC is neglecting WP, The thing is you can't expect them to release another flagship before a year has passed on the 8X, Windows phone is supported by Microsoft equally between all the vendors so except for some exclusive apps and smart marketing HTC built great WP hardware so far

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC 8x and i love the Phone, but it's really anoying that everwhere i read about windows Phone it's mentioned in combination with nokia.
I know nokia is supporting it to the max.(maybe more dan microsoft)
but in my opinion windows Phone looks to be the new symbian.

I hope MS designs somewhere in de feature (or as we speak) the're own Phone with hardware like they did with the surface.
I saw the other day an concept windows Phone surface surface-windows-phone-concept_1.jpg..... If that one comes to the market I instantly burn my 8x and buy that one.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You dont need Huawei, ZTE and other less known? Do you know that 70% Android market is largely made out of 130mil gingerbread crap from this two "less known OEM"?
You said it buddy, keyword:Android. Pretty sure that doesn't translate to Windows Phone. Furthermore, I don't think we need "crap" in the Windows Phone market when we're playing catch up.

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You said it buddy, keyword:Android. Pretty sure that doesn't translate to Windows Phone. Furthermore, I don't think we need "crap" in the Windows Phone market when we're playing catch up.

We may not need "crap" but we sure as hell need "low price" if we want the market share and it is those other OEMs that can provide it.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
We may not need "crap" but we sure as hell need "low price" if we want the market share and it is those other OEMs that can provide it.
But Nokia is really pushing to cover that space as well. And with their exclusive suite of apps, I'm not really sure these other guys can compete. Plus we need to target the high end market to "steal" as many of the Android and iOS adopters and loyalists as possible. That's just my take on it. But I would really like to see something from Sony or even LG in the future.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of a Surface phone.

What's so special about that concept? That's just a dark-colored rectangle. With very uncomfortable-to-hold sharp edges too.

Huh? It looks just like an iPhone. I don't hear those users complaining about uncomfortable-to-hold sharp edges.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Once you get Surface phone. You will have only surface with Vanila windows Phone. Who need crap like that with None of Nokia features. MS should better take care of software and allow Nokia to handle hardware.. Looks like MS is not even able to do it properly. full of bugs and missing a lot of features.

For Tablet, surface is ok.. Vanila window 8 is ok. Not for Phone.

ArjanNL

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Uh i have a htc now so, i dont have Nokia software anyway. But won't buy a Nokia because of the hardware. I don't like it. Surface Phone looks smooth.
It have something similar of the iphone. But i choose windows

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077