Thinking about getting WP8

Xouw

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am considering getting the Lumia 928. I have been in the android ecosystem since 2009 with the OG DROID and currently have a TF300 and Bionic. Originally, was going to go with the GS4, or the One, if Verizon was getting it.

I would like something new. The 928 is certainly cheaper off contact than the GS4. I have primarily stayed with android for the Google ecosystem. Voice guided navigation was huge for me. In addition I only use Google Music for my mobile music. Love the streaming.

I am fairly positive Nokia brought ovi maps over to WP7/8, which offers the voice guided directions. I am pretty sure there is no Google Music on WP or apps that can access it. What services like it are offered on the platform?

Outside of that, I am also huge into android ROM scene. Does WP8 have anything like this? Or, the ability to get newer OS versions when the manufacture does not support it officially? I remember when the original Lumia came out MS said that no WP7 device would be upgraded to WP8. I am a little wary about getting a WP8 device, and finding out a few months later that the newer WP OS will not be on it. If there was a way to put it on there I would be fine.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am considering getting the Lumia 928. I have been in the android ecosystem since 2009 with the OG DROID and currently have a TF300 and Bionic. Originally, was going to go with the GS4, or the One, if Verizon was getting it.

I would like something new. The 928 is certainly cheaper off contact than the GS4. I have primarily stayed with android for the Google ecosystem. Voice guided navigation was huge for me. In addition I only use Google Music for my mobile music. Love the streaming.

I am fairly positive Nokia brought ovi maps over to WP7/8, which offers the voice guided directions. I am pretty sure there is no Google Music on WP or apps that can access it. What services like it are offered on the platform?

Outside of that, I am also huge into android ROM scene. Does WP8 have anything like this? Or, the ability to get newer OS versions when the manufacture does not support it officially? I remember when the original Lumia came out MS said that no WP7 device would be upgraded to WP8. I am a little wary about getting a WP8 device, and finding out a few months later that the newer WP OS will not be on it. If there was a way to put it on there I would be fine.

We have Pandora. Spotify. Nokia Music

All WP8 devices will be upgraded to WP9

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
you sound so completely devoted to Google/Android's Ecosystem that its tough for me to recommend WP8 to you. If the ROM's are a deal breaker, i dont think there's anything from that prospective on the WP platform.

Xouw

May 23, 2013
Visit site
you sound so completely devoted to Google/Android's Ecosystem that its tough for me to recommend WP8 to you. If the ROM's are a deal breaker, i dont think there's anything from that prospective on the WP platform.

Honestly, the only reason I did roms on my OG and Bionic was to have a current version of android. Which would be my biggest thing on WP8. It appears that all WP8 devices will recieve WP9 though. Which is a good thing.

As for devotion. Android was my first smartphone OS. Well, there was PalmOS on the old palm piolts and I had a play toy with a pixi +. Not into Apple stuff and verizon did not have a killer WP7 device a few years ago.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess the easiest way to determine whether WP8 may or may not work out for your is using the available app in android store:

Microsoft to release Switch to Windows Phone for Android, to help owners find apps in their new store | Windows Phone Central

This will help determine whether WP8 carries the apps that matter to you

I would also take into account which customizations you can live without that are available on Android (a lot of the tool management built into Android don't exist).

Its always difficult for me to come outright and say "Go buy a Windows Phone!!" when it may not be right for you. I sold my Samsung Galaxy S3 for a Lumia 920 and have no regretted it once, being a previous WP7 user i knew what i was getting back into. Android has an app that i miss like Flipboard (thats really it...), as well as mgmt OS tools, but thats where i stops for me. The amazing screen, fluid OS (never EVER lags, whereas GS3 lagged so frequently), stunning camera and unique design keep me happy.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I couldn't decide between Android and WP8 - so I have both and just switch sim cards when I feel like it. Best of both worlds.

Xouw

May 23, 2013
Visit site
The app said 76% of my stuff was available, but it will not tell me what is and isn't. It appears that I have to be on a WP8 device to know what they are.

Are there any WP8 simulators online? I guess I could play around with one of thsoe and see how it works.

Eh, I couldn't decide between Android and WP8 - so I have both and just switch sim cards when I feel like it. Best of both worlds.

Wish I had the money for that lol.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as Google Music goes, there are a few third party apps that can access it. One that I sometime use (though I don't use Google Music much) is Gooroovster.

Sharpmango

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
OP - When you move house. Do you expect the same roads by your new home? Do you expect your home to look the same? WP is a different ecosystem. To enjoy it, you do things differently. For example, i love Nokia music and offline Nokia navigation. Do i get that an android? Nope. But id use android differently. Why i personally love wp8 is because it is the most enjoyable os I've ever used. I love live tiles. After using wp8, other phones seem very old fashioned. Ofc, that is just my opinion. I think you should go and have a play with an l928 in store. Remember u also get $25 worth of app credits. Don't look for how similiar it is to your current phone. Look for the differences. See what Nokia focusses on. If u like it, you'll love it. Wp8 is very difficult to jailbreak. Im not sure it has even been done. There is no custom rom scene. But again, if u want what android hass you'll only be disappointed. Instead look for what wp has, then you might just like it.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Android started to feel old to me, used it since for years and years...

WP is interesting, ofc there are things I would love to change... why in the hell isn't your signal, time, wifi connection etc ALWAYS!!! visible even in apps (excluding those that require full screen of course)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll provide my two cents worth as a person sitting on the fence about WP8 even though I own a Lumia 920.

First thing to think about is how do you use your phone before you make your decision.

So here's a good/bad list (depending on your point of view):

• Anything 'custom' is pretty much out the window. You only get to change lockscreen wallpaper, tiles on home screen, tile arrangement, lockscreen notifictions and colour scheme.
    File managment. Skydrive is what they want you to use. You can plug your phone into computer and access 5 folders which only certain programs use. Anything else you won't be able to access.
    OS is locked down
    You cannot download any file that WP does not use (zip, rar, exe, etc..)
    Email is pretty limited to what files you can attach to them
    Your MS Account is the most important email you have. It allows for syncing of everything. Which is pretty neat.
    Standard calendar is pretty crap
    If you're an app centric person then you may find WP limiting as there is a lot missing.
    WP8 OS does have a lot of built in functions that apps usually do.
    Nokia navigation apps known as the 'HERE' are not 100% yet. The Drive app is still in Beta and believe me is not that good sometimes. There is also some issues with finding things from time to time.
    No volume profiles
    No rotation lock
    No ability to turn off the Bing Search button (I have issues with it from time to time)
    No landscape mode on the Home screen, app screen or in Xbox
    No easy access to WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, Airplane mode and Data on/off switches
    There's been issues with the music apps and update apps functions
    Integrates well with Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media. This is using the built in function of the OS.
    You can download other browsers you cannot make them the default
    The OS is smooth and fluid and quick
    If you love anything Google you might as well forget it as it's probably not coming WP as an official apps but there are 3rd party apps.
    You can get Xbox music, Nokia music, Pandora, Spotify and Rdio apps and some others. Up to you to decide which works for you.
    Also I believe the movie apps are available as well.

On the whole you can pretty much do what most people usually do with their smartphone.

Now if any of this gets corrected in an update in the future or not is anybody's guess. We have absolutely no idea. Apps continue to come out, which is good but it is very slow, as far as I'm concerned, for an OS playing catch up. WP8 is in my opinion is a bit behind. There are functions which I find it hard to believe are missing. Thing is most people appear to like it that way.

So I would say if you're an advanced user I would go take a serious look at WP8 device in store, take your time and see if it suits you. If it is at all possible I would personally buy a 520 as a try out device to see what you think before forking out the cash or getting into a contract for a 920 or similar. Again, this is my opinion.

I see WP like this. It is what it is, if you like things the WP way.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
why in the hell isn't your signal, time, wifi connection etc ALWAYS!!! visible even in apps (excluding those that require full screen of course)

i dont know, i like that its hidden and i can check it by tapping top left to display. its not necessary to see all my signals all the time. but thats me.

Xouw

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'
So I would say if you're an advanced user I would go take a serious look at WP8 device in store, take your time and see if it suits you. If it is at all possible I would personally buy a 520 as a try out device to see what you think before forking out the cash or getting into a contract for a 920 or similar. Again, this is my opinion.

I see WP like this. It is what it is, if you like things the WP way.

Thanks for the list.

I am loving the idea of grabbing a 520 to test drive it. I saw that T-Mobile sells a 521 that is around $129 off contract. Unfortunetly, T-Moilbe is crap where I am, or I guess nonexistant. AT&T is okay though. I wonder if I could get one and have it work on AT&T, and then sell it when I am done.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
since it is GSM unlock out of the box, you have no risk in getting a 928. Give it a try for a month or so, if you dont like it just sell it on ebay. Still worth $350 AFAIK.

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
From what you have mentioned, I wouldn't do it. I currently have a Lumia 920 and a Galaxy S3 and I keep using my Galaxy S3. You can't do the things you do with your android on a Windows Phone device. Also, the fact there are none of the google services make me use the S3 more. I think WP8 is nice, but I also have a major problem with video podcasts on the Lumia.

For example, when I download a video podcast that is around a hour or more in length, I get lots of audio stuttering which only gets worse as the podcast plays. This also happened on my old Samsung Focus but I thought it was due to old hardware or WP7.5. Sadly, I was wrong. Also, it happens with different podcasts both downloaded directly on the device or copied from the computer. So, if you watch long video podcasts like those found on the twit network, you'll be frustrated.

The Nokia maps/navigation is ok and the camera is great, but I don't think anything works better than the navigation built in to your android phone. Also, the fact that you can have a keyboard like swype helps too. The email is nice on WP8 but the google voice search is nothing compared to that on my GS3.

I too have downloaded several ROMs like CM and AOKP so if you like doing that sort of thing then you might as well stay with an andoid device because you are stuck with what you get with WP8. I sure wish I could have installed WP8 on my GS3 phone so I could have tested it out before buying the Lumia 920. I should just sell the dumb thing and be done with the experiment. I wanted to like it but that podcast problem will keep me from using it. Also, it also happens on a Lumia that my friend owns but he doesn't typically watch video podcasts. Lucky for him!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
^^^^ do yourself a favor a sell your 920 because you definitely love your GS3.

Lucky for you, podcasts longer than 1hr are a selling point for you. I sold my GS3 for a Lumia 920 and have never looked back, best move I ever made. That's mainly because the pros in WP8 greatly outweighed my cons of Samsung Android.

To each their own...but ya get rid of your Lumia BC you sound like you hate it. That was painful to read lol

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
still don't get the podcast culture. But if you are into it, probably WP8 is not quite what you are looking for, at the moment.

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am loving the idea of grabbing a 520 to test drive it.

This is what I did when I bought my Lumia 620. I couldn't just try a new OS (in my country) on an expensive gadget.

.. And now I regret it.

Don't get me wrong. I regret not getting the 920 that day. Windows Phone 8 is AMAZING. At least for me!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I sold my nexus 4 in two months...not that the phone was bad. But seriously nothing beats WP8. Just bought a new phone for wife, the 720. Was enough for me to jump boat...I got myself a 820 and dad another 720. I totally understand this ROM flashing thing, cause did it myself almost everyday. But hey.. This is a brand new OS, solid security, very easy to use. Everything a phone should be. Hope that helped...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786