As we roll into another Summer buying season and Windows Phone 8 gets a batch of upgrades, new devices, and tons of great apps, I think I am not taking a leap by saying it seems WP 7 has reached it's end. Those of us who grabbed Mango devices will see our contracts begin to come up in November, and by mid next year it is not hard to see the vast majority of WP 7's collecting dust in a drawer.

It leads me to wonder: What were the best and worse of the 1st and 2nd Generation of WP 7 phones? From the HTC 7 all the way through the Samsung Focus 2 (as far as I can tell, the last WP 7 released in May of last year), there were a ton of great devices, a few under rated ones, and yes- there were a few turds to keep us on our toes.

So- I am curious.... WP Central- what were your favorites? What was your least favorite and why?

A sucker has to know......

Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    05-25-2013 01:14 AM
    I owned a Samsung Focus first Gen, followed up by a Lumia 900. The 900 was a solid jump into Windows Phone for Nokia, but I absolutely loved my Focus. The screen was great, a thin lightweight phone, the only problem was the plastic casing felt a little cheap. It is interesting to see where Windows Phone is now compared to then. Keep the quality devices coming!
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-25-2013 01:20 AM
    Since oct 2011 i have tried the samsung focus >> samsung focus flash >> htc radar >> nokia lumia 710 >> nokia lumia 900 >> lumia 810 >> htc 8x >> and now a nokia lumia 920. Out of these focus flash was the one i least liked...best i can say the lumia 900 of wp7s and 920 of wp8s. The flash just felt cheap and boring. All lumias and htcs had a great build quality. The focus was the most rough used one...
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-25-2013 01:47 AM
    I have four I want to call "disappointments:

4. Samsung Focus 2. Not that it was a bad phone, it was such a throw away device it just never got legs under it. I am amazed it is still on AT&T's web site. It shows in a nutshell what is wrong with Sammy's approach to WP, which is they do not have one.
    3.Nokia 710. It is not that it is a bad phone- see a pattern here?- but what on Earth was Nokia and T-Mo doing releasing such a low end device to build momentum? Would it have KILLED them both to pthe next one up with a few goodies involved?
    2, LG Quantum. This was the first WP I ever picked up, so I have a soft spot for it. But, the HTC Arrive had it all over it for the keybord, the screen seemed bland compared to the other WP selections on AT&T, and LG blamed it's lack of success as a reason to bail. Maybe you could have tried just a tad harder??
    1. HTC Titan. This amazingly bad device was one of those "love it at first, until..." Until the screen response on some units started dropping, until the sound quality went to crap, until it was the only device without the "disappearing keyboard" fix, until the T2 came along and completely left T1 owners out in the cold. No fixes, very few and very late updates, This thing just was a perfect display of why HTC fell on hard times.

By the way, I left the Dell Venue Pro off this list simply because I like portrait sliders. So there.

My top??

5) Fujitsu Toshiba IS 12T. No, I have never even seen one. But, it was the only WP 7 with 32 G of memory instead of 16. That puts on the "best of" list.
    4) HTC Trophy. Dependable, and the only choice for the largest carrier in the US. Beloved, and very few bad reports in the forums.
    3) Samsung Focus S. Yep, my old device. It Rocks, and is the best phone I have ever used. Not just owned, but used. I will not be unbiased. It is my list.
    2) Samsung Focus. The standard bearer of gen 1, non-Mango devices. It was the best on the carrier that had many choices. Stuns me how far WP has fallen in Samsung's eyes when thinking 2 of the best WP7 devices came from them.

and, with very little suspense....

1) Nokia 900. Pushed, promoted, given Hero status, well supported, and the first to get any device updates, including 7.8. It showed what Nokia was capable of and what they were able to do with WP. It finally put WP on the airwaves, and got it into the consumers mind. No way wecould over state how important that was.

My list. Be interested in hearing others.
    05-25-2013 11:06 PM
    Well I had a Dell venue pro and a Lumia 710. The dell had crap build quality and the keyboard wasn't great but I really liked its screen. The 710 was a seriously solid Nokia. Also had a HTC Mozart briefly and I kind of liked it, had a nice feel to it. The best out of all would have to be the Lumia 900.
    05-25-2013 11:19 PM
    Titan 2 is clearly the best device from the Mango era. I thought the HD7 was the best gen 1 device. Titan 2 is the best overall wp7 device.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-26-2013 12:25 AM
    The Lumia 900 had so many issues the t2 was much better and the camera was great. Of course the 920 beats them both.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-26-2013 12:26 AM
    Titan 2 is clearly the best device from the Mango era. I thought the HD7 was the best gen 1 device. Titan 2 is the best overall wp7 device.
    I hope you are right. I am moving over to the T2 from my beloved Focus S due to some ***** dropping my poor "S" into a broken state. (Oh, wait, that was me. Maybe ***** was too strong.) I am kinda looking forward to living with an HTC for a while witth it's more solid feel and the T2's bigger screen.
    rdubmu likes this.
    05-26-2013 09:54 AM