New expanding Others problem - Not temp files - Please advise...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I installed the trial of Mass Effect Infiltrator and liked it, but decided I wouldn't play it enough to buy it. So I uninstalled it. Thing is, it didn't give me my space back, so I checked with Lumia Storage Check Beta. It showed some extra temp usage over the normal which I cleared, but most of the problem is the app storage allocated to 'Settings' which has ballooned to 334mb when it was only around 60mb before.

Firstly, how do I reduce this back down and secondly, does this mean a phone reset will now cost a whopping 334mb off my data allowance each time?

Thanks for your help folks. It is appreciated.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Try installing 'shrink storage' app and run as per instructions, am not getting your second question?
Clear the IE cache/temp files too.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have tried Shrink Storage as suggested and have cleared the IE cache but these actions only seem to touch the temporary files, as usual. The 'Settings' app as listed by Lumia Storage Check Beta is still at the inflated 334 mb. My second problem is that if I have to do a hard reset at any point my settings will be downloaded over 3G as the phone won't allow me to connect to WiFi first. Does this problem mean a 334 meg drain on my 3G allowance every time the settings are downloaded or backed up? Do I need to turn my settings backup off or will it drain my entire 500 meg monthly data allowance after auto backing up my settings just twice?

This phone is getting expensive.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
When I powered on the phone for the 1st time, I did without a sim card. it told me that it needs a sim else its calling the police & blah blah, but I was able to connect it to wifi, do major updates and then put in my sim card without having to waste the data limit on my sim card.
Am not sure how your settings is eatin 300+ MB, mine is just 60MB~, but you should be able to get that data via wifi.
Install "Lumia Pusher" app and it'll show you the lumia apps that have an update available by forcing them to update instead of waiting.

But make sure you remove your sd card (if there is) and take proper backup of music, vids and pics.

Your 300MB settings are not backed up, just a small portion of it is :).
Imagine a building, the bricks and cement is 300MB, while the layout of how those bricks are laid is your backup which is am not sure maybe under 10MB?

So if you do a backup, your layout plan is backed up, but if you format it, the layout plan tells the phone how the bricks are to be laid, but again you can do it via wifi without hitting your monthly data limit.

If I were you I would backup the settings periodically, maybe once a week via wifi to save on data plan? Since I have a good plan, I let it 'on', am not even sure when it backs up lol but I don't reset the phone every now and then.
Also turn off the skydrive app, it also consumes other storage.

Another tip is to go to 'storage check' area and see what app is eating your space, consider removing it, rebooting/soft resetting the phone and reinstalling the app.
i find facebook app is a big hog for the phone memory and also whatsapp. Email/Contacts can also chew up on space.

I feel pity for people living with 8GB, no expansion phones sometimes.

LOL @ This phone is getting expensive, sorry couldn't help.

Cloud Denton

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Install "Lumia Pusher" app and it'll show you the lumia apps that have an update available by forcing them to update instead of waiting.

@AndyCalling, Yup install "Lumia Pusher" then "Extras+info" and "storage check" will appear at the bottom of (the root) settings menu. I'd recommend you do this instead of using the third party apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon