Anyone considering downgrading back to WP7, sticking it out for a while and moving on?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I never owned a WP prior to my 920. At the time I was considering going WP8 I was thinking of getting a Nexus 4. I didn't realise that WP8 was so messed up. I honestly feel as though I'm using a beta OS sometimes and that some of the features I used to enjoy on my Nokia N8 (mobile prior to the 920) are completely missing. Which is a shock to me as I consider them essential to a smartphone in my eyes.

As it is I'm giving WP8 a chance, I mostly went with it due to Nokia. I'm generally happy with my 920, even though I find it limiting and lacking in a lot of ways. I'll have to see what updates bring. If things don't get better then I'll abadon WP and never return.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
My problem with that is that Zune plays nice with other media managers or libraries by doing folder watching. iTunes insists on being your everything, and changing anything anywhere else is verboten.

That is very true! I would like to give up on apple and probably would have just gone back to my 900 if it had not died on me. I had just got to the point where I really liked zune and how it managed everything when they started shutting it down. Then xbox music came along and screwed everything up. Hummm, now that I think of it, maybe I should just cruze craigslist and get another 900 for cheap...

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The "media stuff" is indeed bizarre, I was looking forward to Xbox Music Pass but the amount of clicks to get anything done is ridiculous. It's a Microsoft device but it can't play Microsoft formats from the web (audio/video streams) that a Windows 98 PC would have no trouble with. It feels Beta.

It's still much faster and more stable than my last Android device and I refuse to pay the fortune Apple expects for an iPhone outright ($1000NZ) so I'll stick with it, I like it more than I hate it.

Cost isn't an issue for me, especially as I buy my handsets factory unlocked - so the difference between ~$900 for an Apple handset, ~$700 for a flagship Android and ~$600 for a flagship WP really doesn't mean a lot to me.

I agree about Android, my last sets were the Nexus 4 and the Xperia Z - and it's still chaos to a degree. But WP8 is now IMO dangerously close to Android, especially if you consider what Android does vs what WP8 doesn't - though in everyday-utility use I think, as you also clearly do, that WP8 wins the day.

No if I were to switch, among what actually exists now it'd be to iOS because apart from the 'everyone has one' aspect and the fact that the way it works is IMO inferior to WP, in terms of what it does it leaves WP not just in the dust, but in a pit three miles deep. I already have an iPhone 5, but because my media stuff is Zune / device-agnostic-MTP centric, iTunes throws all kinds of spanners into the way I like my media - so the only thing it's linked to is iTunes Match from a Mac running a copy of my main library (which I have to laboriously manually update), and my Spotify account is maxed with my other handsets so I can't take anything offline, as a result I never use it for music. It basically means that if I want to transfer my media to being usable with an iPhone I've got to go all-in to iTunes and the crApple ecosystem, and that's not an option right now. But if WP is going down the road it's now, then I will actually sink in the necessary effort to totally rejig my media stuff around iOS.

I still plan to do some dev for WP8, but I'm still extremely unconvinced it's something I should stick with long-term.

There's always the "next update will bring a whole lot of improvements" but lets face it guys - the major updates that have come are catch-ups at best, they've come on essentially the same timetable as iOS and Android, and in the end aren't that major (leaving out totally obvious functional deficiencies that HAD to be fixed) when you examine the differences between even 7.5 and 8. Its it even worth sticking around until Blue (because the fact that Microsoft releases it isn't actually a sign that you'll be getting it in a timely manner, as we saw with e.g. 7.8), is one of the question for me.

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree about Android, my last sets were the Nexus 4 and the Xperia Z - and it's still chaos to a degree. But WP8 is now IMO dangerously close to Android, especially if you consider what Android does vs what WP8 doesn't - though in everyday-utility use I think, as you also clearly do, that WP8 wins the day.

I've just switched to a Razr i from a Lumia 800 and while it is not a patch on WP in terms of general usability, I'm plesantly surprised how easy it is to use compared to older android handsets I've had.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually, thinking about all the issues that WP8 had, I was actually thinking of going for a Nokia 700 and slugging it for a while, at least until the're fixed. Now that I think of it, I'd actually prefer a 710.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually, thinking about all the issues that WP8 had, I was actually thinking of going for a Nokia 700 and slugging it for a while, at least until the're fixed. Now that I think of it, I'd actually prefer a 710.

You're still on Symbian aren't you? Though I know Symbian lacks a lot of apps I am slightly regretting dumping Symbian and going to WP. It had more of the functionality I liked over WP. Regardless of it's app situation and it's so called 'clunkiness' which never bothered me. The navigation apps on Symbian are far superior to that of WP, especially the Drive app. I'm hoping WP8 will get better eventually otherwise I'll be getting a different phone in a year or so.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not going back to wp7. Been there done that. It was cool when I got it and I had my share of disappointment with the high expectations of this device.(Such as the comments made in a presentation by Joe Belifiore as it relates to airlines and traffic that somehow does appear on the latest GS4 device) But since WP8 dropped, it is very well done OS. Could it be better? Yes. Will it improve? Of course it will. But going back to WP7 is a non starter.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the calmest, interesting threads on the strengths and weakness of WP. I truly have enjoyed it and the lack of slams/OS fan rants. Thanks to everyone.

First off, if I had upgraded to WP8 early this year, I am sure I would NOT go back to WP 7. I hope I did not give the impression. WP 8 is a step in the right direction, and it had to happen to get MS where they want to be- a cross platform OS that rivals Apple. That is the one area that Apple still shines over everyone else- what they have works well across all their meadia options.

Now, MS is a different animal- their dedication to full desk top work options means certain things will never cross platform to mobile and vice-versa. But the attempt to get as close as they can in the next few years is going to be interesting. Throw in just how MAMMOTH Microsoft is and all the infighting that must be going on, and I am amazed they have made the strides they have.

However, that means some of the decisions are painful, and WP is paying the price. That is why I say I would not upgrade now. I love me some Zune pass. It is a great deal, easy to load, and easy to manage. XBOX Music is the step they HAVE to take to get the cross platform to work right- cloud controlled and unshackled to a computer. Also, easier to sell to companies and artists because it will work across so many mediums. But it is just... awkward.

There are other things I hope change in WP. I hope the way they do address books change- I find it annoying and limiting that they make me pick from a drop down menu what a phone number is instead of allowing me to type in any designation I want. (If for instance someone has three work numbers to be reached, I have to assign it "fax number" or something dumb because I just can't say work #3). I can't assign different tones to texts or emails. I am also not as big of a fan of the WP keyboard as most of us are. I would like a couple of choices.

But, boy I love the fluidness of WP. I love the tiles. I love the functions of the live tiles and the new homescreen on WP8. I love that a unified notification is coming, especially since I trust MS to get it right when they take their time. I love trial versions of paid apps, I love deleating crap I do not want, and I love the list in alphabetical order when I am looking for the crap I have kept. And, truly, I love MS products. Now, what I said about BB10 is very true- anyone who liked WebOS should spend a few minutes (or over an hour, like I did) with a Z10 and the system is just FUN. I am not tempted yet, I need a better set of devices and I want to see BB keep up with support, something I am not sure they can do.

Also, I like my WP community. I would miss em. Even on other web sites, the WP users are USUALLY among the most level headed, respectful of other OS's, and aware of the short comings of all of the mobile options. So there. I said it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I see no reason to migrate backwards for two reasons:

1. Not having any issues.
2. I do not believe the majority of people commenting here even own WP's. Some of the comments made just do not jive.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

2. I do not believe the majority of people commenting here even own WP's. Some of the comments made just do not jive.

1. You've been lucky
2. You haven't indicated who you think doesn't own a WP8. Saying 'majority' means squat.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have very high hopes from blue update. I wish we will get a major jackpot in blue but it's far far away from now, till then I'll keep my nexus 4 as primary device and continue using 520 as secondary, if blue gives me what I hope, I'll jumped to new Nokia's awesome device in no time.

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
i cut the middle man and bought myself a s4 from a lumia 920.
next day i sold my 920 with no regrets. finally finished with my windows potato 8. that phone had bugs everywhere.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

So, because you personally don't have any issues you are going to attack the rest of us by insinuating we don't even have a windows phone? Wow...

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've just switched to a Razr i from a Lumia 800 and while it is not a patch on WP in terms of general usability, I'm plesantly surprised how easy it is to use compared to older android handsets I've had.

Android has taken major leaps forwards, especially in the first couple of years but even thereafter, pretty solid leaps. It's just that it's still quite a bit of a mess for me. And while MS used to be branded the Apple photocopier, Google is now an even more prolific aper of what Apple does where it makes sense to do so - so they keep the updates coming thick and fast.

This is the problem I see with WP8 tho: That speed of progress isn't being replicated, and it really needs it. WP7 was a brand new breath of fresh air, but everyone else has had a chance to poke around and start to take, or improve on, what's best from it now and tack it on to their already solid OS's. I just get the impression that Microsoft is still busy patting itself on the back after shipping WP8.

Get rid of Zune? OK - the brand was a disaster anyway, fair enough... but we lost a whole bunch of functionality in the process, allied to the kinda insult that's XBox Music & the WP8 sync tools - which are, foreffssake, 'Previews' on Windows 7. Jeez. Three screens and a cloud? Fine. Then to start with, we need some sort of cloud-based equivalent of Zune that can sync device states, tracks and track metadata - and there's nothing of that sort on the horizon, not even a rumour - only a catch-up second-rate iTunes Match wannabe allied to a half-baked Spotify equivalent (yes, we know Zune started first, but Spotify has hugely improved it's own offerings since then).

All this, as I said before, is pretty depressing.

As for the architectural changes in WP8, I'm sure we all know, or can see, why they did it. But they can't expect us to give them credit for it, even though maintaining app compatibility with a total under-the-hood-change is a big deal. They need to move.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is the problem I see with WP8 tho: That speed of progress isn't being replicated, and it really needs it. WP7 was a brand new breath of fresh air, but everyone else has had a chance to poke around and start to take, or improve on, what's best from it now and tack it on to their already solid OS's. I just get the impression that Microsoft is still busy patting itself on the back after shipping WP8.

This is the thing I keep pointing out. There seems to be this very slow progress for a mobile OS that's in third place. They seem to have a higher opinion of their OS than their users, or should I say some of their users. There are those who are quite ecstatic with WP8 and seem to be over joyed when we get a 2 year old game ported over or some third party app because the original developer can't be bothered catering to a small market. The current state of WP8 is not great. It's simply OK. Thing is OK isn't good enough. I'm also tired of being told to be patient.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, enough about Android. Back on topic. I never used WP7. What are the main features it lacks compared with WP8?

Here are features you will GAIN if moving to WP7.8:

•FM Radio support
•Native turn-by-turn touch to announce driving directions (replaced by third party apps in WP8)
•WiFi sync with the desktop (in WP8 only cloud sync or USB transfer is available)
•Auto-playlists sync (playlists need to be created manually in WP8)
•Quick share to Facebook. In WP8 you have to press the Share button, scroll, & tap Facebook
•Sharing posts and pictures to the Windows Live Social is gone in WP8
•The option to remove location info from pictures when uploading to social networks is gone in WP8 (but you can still
disallow saving location information with photos)
•The “New Note” start screen tile shortcut is no longer available in WP8

FM Radio is said to be coming in GDR2, but as I've learned from past experience you should not count on it until it's actually there. I have not moved to WP8 for these reasons plus there is no device available with a keyboard. And, don't forget the "Other Storage" bug in WP8 is not present in WP7.

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
if my WP7.5 device wasn't broken (Focus), i would probably not have bought L920. I think WP8 is an advancement, but not enough to warrant running to upgrade.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here are features you will GAIN if moving to WP7.8:

?FM Radio support
?Native turn-by-turn touch to announce driving directions (replaced by third party apps in WP8)
?WiFi sync with the desktop (in WP8 only cloud sync or USB transfer is available)
?Auto-playlists sync (playlists need to be created manually in WP8)
?Quick share to Facebook. In WP8 you have to press the Share button, scroll, & tap Facebook
?Sharing posts and pictures to the Windows Live Social is gone in WP8
?The option to remove location info from pictures when uploading to social networks is gone in WP8 (but you can still
disallow saving location information with photos)
?The ?New Note? start screen tile shortcut is no longer available in WP8

FM Radio is said to be coming in GDR2, but as I've learned from past experience you should not count on it until it's actually there. I have not moved to WP8 for these reasons plus there is no device available with a keyboard. And, don't forget the "Other Storage" bug in WP8 is not present in WP7.

1. FM Radio support is coming as you mentioned.
2. HERE Drive, Maps and Transit are available on ALL Windows Phone 8 devices, no need for it to be native.
3. I know that WiFi sync was available for the Zune, not for Windows Phone though.
4. Media sync, playlist or not, was only handled by the Zune software and only after dragging and dropping the media to the device.
5. Quick share to Facebook was probably moved because it made more sense than having a separate option for it.
6. Windows Live Social was shut down when they rebranded to Microsoft Account so there is no surprise there, who really used Windows Live for social networking anyway.
7. Again, it makes more sense to have one place to do this from rather than two separate options that are virtually identical.
8. The reason for this is that since OneNote was separated from the Office Hub you can just pin OneNote to the start screen instead.

I agree with Jazmac, WP8 isn't perfect but it will improve. You have to remember that Microsoft look at usability statistics that's why some of the options were removed or moved to other places.

I wouldn't move back to my HD7 though as the improvements in other areas far outweigh the removed features. My dad has my HD7 now anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234