Anyone considering downgrading back to WP7, sticking it out for a while and moving on?

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I just can't get over how bad the media stuff is in WP8. Even third-party apps - Spotify has less weirdness in WP7 for example. And I also can't get over how little extra in reality we do get (apart from obvious much-needed fixes) in WP8. Even though Microsoft themselves have developed amnesia for WP7 (and the devs have followed suit), but having the two side by side, apart from app availability I'm finding it really hard to see what the real functional upgrade is (apart from maybe Skype that isn't a total joke - but hey, if I want a Nokia that runs Skype properly I can pick up a Series 60, ha).

Talking about S60,. I fired up an old Nokia and it just depressed me that it would switch between Skype (which works better than WP7 or 8) and the built-in Podcasting app (that does more than most in WP8 and also has a working directory for my locale) immediately - no pauses, no shuffling dots. Sure, it's horrifically clunky to get around in but everything works, it does what you'd expect a handset of the calibre and age would do and more (and not less like WP8).

The other thing I also can't get over is how long they've sat on their butts since WP8 dropped doing nothing about it - not ramping up the update frequency (it's absolutely necessary - the OS and the cloud back-end is behind, clean visuals and 'gets out of the wayness' notwithstanding), and maintaining this corrosive cloak of secrecy. They aren't Apple - they don't know how to do this so that Applemorons (mostly in the farce that's tech media these days) dance on command, and to time it so that expectation is backed up by delivery.

I re-bought some WP7 handsets recently dirt cheap, cranked up Zune again, and I'm seriously considering sticking with them until maybe iOS 8, Sailfish gets solid or there's finally an Android that I can live with - moving on and never looking back.

Sorry it's a desultory mumble, not even a rant really - I know what many of you guys will say, but how many others feel tired of waiting since October 2010 for Microsoft to get their act together, especially after the "yeah we're ditching everything and starting over and by the way, we're dropping the existing handsets like a steaming dog turd and making you wait >9 months for a simple update that doesn't fix anything that's actually wrong, LOL" debacle?

Last edited:

Cloud Denton

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The "media stuff" is indeed bizarre, I was looking forward to Xbox Music Pass but the amount of clicks to get anything done is ridiculous. It's a Microsoft device but it can't play Microsoft formats from the web (audio/video streams) that a Windows 98 PC would have no trouble with. It feels Beta.

It's still much faster and more stable than my last Android device and I refuse to pay the fortune Apple expects for an iPhone outright ($1000NZ) so I'll stick with it, I like it more than I hate it.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually considering going back to my Sony Xperia S Android phone. I use my phone often to listen to music stored on the SD card (not into streaming it), and the Walkman app on the XS was superb. I'm currently using a Lumia 720, but the music experience has been very frustrating (I'm suffering with duplicate song listings), and I haven't found a music app for WP that's as nice to use as the Walkman one. There are a few other reasons I'm considering a switch back to Android (lack of separate vol controls, no customised notification tones, lack of location-based automation apps, no good public transport apps, etc.), but the media situation bugs my because I use this function so much.

I'll keep my 720 in drawer and see what the state of play is after the next OS update.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I terribly dislike is the lack of a completely reliable messaging system. Not even the integrated Messaging works right. I still sometimes don't get any messages until I open the app and then they all come down or I get the "can't connect to chat" error, etc. This has happened to some degree in all configurations I've used, regardless of device (I've used the HTC 8X, Lumia 822 and Lumia 620), carrier (AT&T & Telcel) or signal (WiFi, E, 3G, H, H+). Whatsapp also has its own issues, as does Talkbox, Kik, etc. What good is a smartphone if I can't rely on it to keep me communicated. I've used WP7, WP7.5, WP7.8, and WP8 ever since February 2011. I'm an avid MS supporter, but seriously, my old Blackberry 8800 is more reliable as a messaging device.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to go back to my iPhone 5. I dread it but I'm left no other choice. I get a lot of text messages from work and I need to be able to search for texts. I can't believe this basic feature was not included in WP8. Also, this is my second Lumia 928, it's been off the charger for only over an hour and I'm almost down to 50% battery remaining. WTF?

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually considering going back to my Sony Xperia S Android phone. I use my phone often to listen to music stored on the SD card (not into streaming it), and the Walkman app on the XS was superb. I'm currently using a Lumia 720, but the music experience has been very frustrating (I'm suffering with duplicate song listings), and I haven't found a music app for WP that's as nice to use as the Walkman one. There are a few other reasons I'm considering a switch back to Android (lack of separate vol controls, no customised notification tones, lack of location-based automation apps, no good public transport apps, etc.), but the media situation bugs my because I use this function so much.

I'll keep my 720 in drawer and see what the state of play is after the next OS update.
you should use it again when the gdr2 update gets released because one of the fixes was for media file management so it might help

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, from a users point of view, I find WP7 a more reliable and mature OS than WP8. Although WP8 does have a few features WP7 lacks, I don't find any of them particularly compelling. The stability of WP7 is worth far more to me than the two or three minor features WP8 has over WP7.

GDR2 may be the update that convinces me to say goodbye to WP7 for good, but even then only because I already have a WP8 device. Strictly in terms of OS features, I'm not expecting WP8-GDR2 to offer much more than WP7.8 did, which I am somewhat disappointed with. As such, the only thing that justifies buying a WP8 device is the better hardware. IMHO, viewed separately from everything else, the WP8 OS can't make the case to upgrade on its own.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
you should use it again when the gdr2 update gets released because one of the fixes was for media file management so it might help

Yes. That's pretty much my intention. There's a Jelly Bean update due out any day now for the Xperia S, so I'm going to run with that until the next update of WP8. If GDR fixes some of my current show stoppers, I'll give the Lumia 720 another go. The WP interface is already far superior to Android, IMO, but it's just and inch or two short in the functionality stakes to make it my prime device at the moment.

Anyway, enough about Android. Back on topic. I never used WP7. What are the main features it lacks compared with WP8?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm always out of words when people ask me what's new in WP8 in comparison to WP7. Ahhmmm... small tiles?

LOL. To be fair, the unification of WP with the NT kernel is probably a major leap forward from a development point of view. So that should make it easier for MS to move forward with feature improvements in the future. It's just that it's an 'under the hood' thing and doesn't manifest to the user in any visible way.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm always out of words when people ask me what's new in WP8 in comparison to WP7. Ahhmmm... small tiles?

Actually, no, we got the small tiles with WP7.8... another none-difference :wink:

What are the main features it lacks compared with WP8?

Off the top of my head:

USB MTP
Persistent WiFi (although still off by default on WP8)
Lock screen notifications
Screenshot capability
Kids corner
Rooms
Lenses (although WP7 generally can do the same things just without lenses, it's just UI sugar)

There are probably two or three more features, but those are the "highlights".

LOL. To be fair, the unification of WP with the NT kernel is probably a major leap forward from a development point of view. So that should make it easier for MS to move forward with feature improvements in the future. It's just that it's an 'under the hood' thing and doesn't manifest to the user in any visible way.

Yes, under the hood much has changed... but nothing of immediate value to current WP8 users... those changes are all long term (but unfortunately half baked) strategic moves.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Until XBOX Music is an equal experience to Zune, I really see no reason to upgrade. I truly think WP 7 is still a great OS.

Actually, MS better offer some great upgrades soon. BlackBerry 10 is a really fun OS.......

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The games run better, the camera on the 920 is better than all but the Titan 2 (which is about equal). There are more apps for wp8 than wp7. Some of the apps like the ESPN app is much better on wp8.

As for music, I didn't use Zune much, and I dont use Xbox music, I have this podcast issue, as well, but Pandora works like a charm.

Messaging works great, the Facebook beta works good too, the built in messaging woels great, just need Skype integration.

My Lumia 920 is a significant upgrade to my titan 2.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Titan 2 camera as good as L920?
Snowmutt, can you confirm this cuz I doubt it. Maybe well lit shots but indoors and/or low light?

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Snowmutt and several others - X Box Music is a hideous abortion compared to the total awesomeness of Zune. Using Zune to sync my old phone was also an order of magnitude less annoying than what I have to go through now with WP8. That said, most of that pain was in getting my new phone up to speed when I bought it, although every time I want to add newly purchased music to both my ZuneHD and HTC 8S, I am reminded of how easy I had it with WP7. Still, the overall experience of a newer handset and WP8 is probably worth putting up with the krap for.

I also have a BB Playbook and Snowmutt is also right about BB's new OS - it's a pretty decent alternative, I reckon.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Titan 2 camera as good as L920?
Snowmutt, can you confirm this cuz I doubt it. Maybe well lit shots but indoors and/or low light?
outdoors the Titan 2 clearly beats the Lumia 920, in non well lit areas, the Lumia 920 is clearly better.... Well that is before you start playing with the camera settings on the Titan 2. It has many, many more options than the Lumia 920.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, already went back to my iphone 5. Media management was just such a shocking step backwards from what Zune had. I still charge my 920 every few days and make sure its up to date. I keep hoping for the day when I can go back to using it.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Yup, already went back to my iphone 5. Media management was just such a shocking step backwards from what Zune had. I still charge my 920 every few days and make sure its up to date. I keep hoping for the day when I can go back to using it.

My problem with that is that Zune plays nice with other media managers or libraries by doing folder watching. iTunes insists on being your everything, and changing anything anywhere else is verboten.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire