How do I set up an outlook.com alias as a POP3 account on windows phone?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I've been trying to set this up for about an hour now with no success. I've been searching for relevant information to try and piece this together without luck. How do I set up an outlook.com alias as a send and/or receive POP3 account on windows phone? I know it can be done but it must be configured separately.

Kevyn Degia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
why as a POP3 account? Just add a regular Microsoft/Outlook.com account
use as a user name your alias ID and as password your regular password.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY way I know how to be able to send email from a particular alias when not at outlook.com or hotmail.com is to set that alias as the default "from" address on the account that controls the alias ("More Mail Settings" > "Your email accounts" > "Default "From" address"). But there's no way to switch away from that alias - you can only use one at a time if not using the web interface. It's odd... you can sign in to any alias but you still can't sign into it from any email application... unless there's a way we haven't thought of yet.

AFAIK, both Gmail and Outlook have aliases but neither one has figured out how to allow people to choose aliases to send mail from on mobile devices (or at least allow people to reply to an email sent to an alias with the same alias!). You'd think someone would get on this one right away... everyone is connected via mobile and getting emails on their phones (and in the Mail app on Windows 8, which also can't choose aliases).

This is my #1 request for the outlook team... unless someone out there has figured out a way to do it I'm not aware of yet *hopeful*

Edit: I may have to stand corrected, as I just stumbled upon some forum post somewhere stating that Android supports multi-alias usage now. Well, now MS has to play catch-up.

Last edited:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Could you elaborate more? What exactly are you wanting to do?

Ultimately, I want to send emails from an outlook.com alias that is not my primary account alias. I don't care how it's set up, only that I can send from an alias.

And yes, I know that I can use the outlook.com web interface, but I want to use the WP email client.

And no, I do not want to set the alias as my default send address in outlook.com to do this.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY way I know how to be able to send email from a particular alias is to set that alias as the default "from" address on the account that controls the alias ("More Mail Settings" > "Your email accounts" > "Default "From" address"). But there's no way to switch away from that alias. It's odd... you can sign in to any alias but you still can't sign into it from any email application... unless there's a way we haven't thought of yet.

AFAIK, both Gmail and Outlook have aliases but neither one has figured out how to allow people to choose aliases to send mail from on mobile devices (or at least allow people to reply to an email sent to an alias with the same alias!). You'd think someone would get on this one right away... everyone is connected via mobile and getting emails on their phones (and in the Mail app on Windows 8, which also can't choose aliases).

This is my #1 request for the outlook team... unless someone out there has figured out a way to do it I'm not aware of yet *hopeful*

I realize this, but I keep hearing that an alias can be set up as a send account using pop3.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I realize this, but I keep hearing that an alias can be set up as a send account using pop3.
The only thing I've ever heard was that you can sign in using the alias (which is true, I've done this), but nothing about mail on POP3. I'll keep playing around with settings but I'm sure you've done everything I would try anyway. I don't think we're going to get this working :(

Edit: I have some hope, as someone did this with the MS Office Outlook application: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-outlook/11483c7f-2cc0-404a-9d7d-86326779889d

If that works, then all you would need to do is (bearing in mind the struggles with it pulling the main info down) is pin a tile with the folder of the alias you want, and then when you tap the tile you'll be in the account that sends mail as the alias. Hmm, in theory...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Doing a quick search myself I'm pretty confident that you can just use your alias to set up an Outlook.com account.

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft...n-by-alias-and-new-international-domains.aspx

I'm sure you've seen that already. The thing is when setting up your account you just use the alias email and that's it. It shouldn't send from your primary account from what I can tell.

I could be wrong but I don't see how it could be different.

Try testing it first by sending yourself an email.

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Doing a quick search myself I'm pretty confident that you can just use your alias to set up an Outlook.com account.

Outlook Blog - Outlook.com gets two-step verification, sign-in by alias and new international domains

I'm sure you've seen that already. The thing is when setting up your account you just use the alias email and that's it. It shouldn't send from your primary account from what I can tell.

I could be wrong but I don't see how it could be different.

Try testing it first by sending yourself an email.
I've tried that just now, and deleted the post I made in this thread about the process for doing it, because it doesn't seem to work.

You have to set up the account with the alias email, but it won't work, so you have to use that email as the username, which still won't work, then you go to advanced settings and put the server as m.hotmail.com and it works, but it still shows that it has sent from the main account.

Kevyn Degia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
BTW Yahoo Mail lets you sing in and send email from your alias address, on windows phone. So it's not something extra-ordinary that only Android does

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've tried that just now, and deleted the post I made in this thread about the process for doing it, because it doesn't seem to work.

You have to set up the account with the alias email, but it won't work, so you have to use that email as the username, which still won't work, then you go to advanced settings and put the server as m.hotmail.com and it works, but it still shows that it has sent from the main account.

And here I was thinking it would be easy. Why am I not surprised.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There is a setting to send email "from device" This is what you are looking for.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
  1. Open up outlook.com and sign in.
  2. On the right hand side, to the left of your profie, click on the settings icon
  3. a drop down box will appear and click on more mail settings.
  4. Under managing your own account, click on your email address.
At the bottom of this you can use your alias as a default email from devices, this will include windows mail, and windows phone mail or any other third party application like outlook 2013. The unfortunate part is that all email will be coming from this email account.

I hope this helps!

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
  1. Open up outlook.com and sign in.
  2. On the right hand side, to the left of your profie, click on the settings icon
  3. a drop down box will appear and click on more mail settings.
  4. Under managing your own account, click on your email address.
At the bottom of this you can use your alias as a default email from devices, this will include windows mail, and windows phone mail or any other third party application like outlook 2013. The unfortunate part is that all email will be coming from this email account.

I hope this helps!

Ultimately, I want to send emails from an outlook.com alias that is not my primary account alias. I don't care how it's set up, only that I can send from an alias.

And yes, I know that I can use the outlook.com web interface, but I want to use the WP email client.

And no, I do not want to set the alias as my default send address in outlook.com to do this.

Thanks but I was well aware of this. There is a reason the title is specifically phrased as it is.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Gmail has an alias function but it's not the alias we're used to on outlook.com, it's something pretty different. I don't see why Gmail couldn't do an outlook esque alias thing in the future, though. I hope they do.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Google's allows only for dots and plus symbols or something in there, right? You're right though, I'm sure Google will follow up with something like Outlook aliases sometime.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
@OP: Have you tried to set your alias as a separate email account in WP client?
If you want to set this alias account as a pop mail, shouldn't you use pop.hotmail.com as your mail server for the alias account? If you use m.hotmail.com doesn't it use deltasync or something weird like that protocol?
PS: I only have 1 mail account sync with my phone, so I don't know if you have 2 or more email account sync does WP8 let you choose which account you want to send your mail from when you make a new email?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
@OP: Have you tried to set your alias as a separate email account in WP client?
If you want to set this alias account as a pop mail, shouldn't you use pop.hotmail.com as your mail server for the alias account? If you use m.hotmail.com doesn't it use deltasync or something weird like that protocol?
PS: I only have 1 mail account sync with my phone, so I don't know if you have 2 or more email account sync does WP8 let you choose which account you want to send your mail from when you make a new email?

I'm a Microsoft applications developer for a world wide insurance company. I wouldn't ask if I didn't try dozens of methods.

You try and get pop3 to work for any of your aliases in WP client and get back to us with the solution.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm pretty sure it does not matter. Pop3.live.com, m.hotmail.com etc... I tried several. Yes I got connections and could send and receive emails but it would send from my primary address, not the alias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte