Windows Phone 7 shortcut to phone number keypad

Pavels Ahmadulins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'd like to present Nokia Lumia 800 to my mother. She has problems with sight, so I thought I could buy her WP phone and make large tiles on start screen. I will create shortcuts for popular contacts so she can quickly call someone. The problem is that opening process to enter custom phone number is too difficult, because it contains two steps: 1) tap big phone icon on start menu; 2) tap small keypad icon at the bottom. I think second step is too difficult because of size of icon.
So my solution for this problem is to create a shortcut for custom phone number dialer screen. But I didn't found how to create one. Can you, guys, help me to find an app that simply opens this view from start screen?
Or I need to write one by my own? ((*

Pavels Ahmadulins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Corepc. My first step was searching in the app store. But all these apps have own versions of dialer interface. For example this one has big number buttons and this is good. But entered number is a textbox with smaller font size then in original built-in phone dialer and I not sure it will be easy-to-see for my mother =((( My conclusion was that original phone dialer screen is most comfortable.

Update: I found "Metro Dialer" app. I will try this one. But main disadvantage of all custom apps is that they ask permission to call (with buttons "call" "don't call"). So user need to tap "call" button two times =(

Last edited:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, ag1986 . But this is not what I asked about.

Haha I understand, I was just kidding.

But seriously, those phones are the best for old people. I presented them to all 4 of my grandparents (who are all technophobic, have bad eyesight, forget to charge phones etc) and they're very happy. Do consider it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately WP7 isn't very accessible for people with sight difficulties. You may want to try getting her a budget WP8 device as this has much better accessibility options. Don't forget that you can pin contacts to screen and she can even invoke a screen magnifier on WP8. Not sure if WP7 also has these features.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You should download "RapDialer". You can set it up where the "keypad" shows first after you tap the phone icon. This app has many features and customization. look it up, it definitely helps you.

S F1

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi, it's really easy, add the person to your contacts list and save. When you go back into your contacts and view the contact, there is a picture of a pin at the bottom of the screen, touch it and it creates a tile on your home screen which can be sized and moved like any other tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077