What is a secure way to copy a WPA2 key into a WP8?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
WP8 does not support WPS which means you have to enter the key in the Wi-Fi settings. Its bad enough typing a 64 character key in manually with up to 3 taps per character (between changing case or switching between alpha and numeric keyboards), not to mention that if your finger gets too close to the done button while typing you get to start all over! But to make it even worse the Win8 keyboard doesn't even have all the characters that may be in a WPA key. In addition, I have reason to believe that some characters on the WP8 keyboard have a different hex value than the standard English keyboard on a Windows8 PC.

So there are two issues anyone using WPA with a "proper" key faces:

1. What is the full character set WP8 can use in a key?

2. How do you get that key into the WP8 wi-fi settings? Assuming SOMEONE in these forums uses a non trivial key, how did you transfer it into your phone (hopefully in a way that avoids sending it out into the web). I was able to move a text file with the key from my PC to the phone's document folder using USB but can't figure out how to access that file from the phone.

TIA

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
place it in a word document and transfer it to your device, open the document, copy it and paste in the password box. delete the word document for security reasons

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know of a way to send something apart from videos, photos and music to the device.. afaik apps can't access files you just put on the SD card/internal storage.. Are you a developer? If so, just create an empty app with a mutable text field, deploy it via USB and then copy & paste it from the app, that's the only thing I can think of that doesn't involve internet..

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
place it in a word document and transfer it to your device, open the document, copy it and paste in the password box. delete the word document for security reasons
It did. I had forgotten that when I started this quest I had USBed a file with the key from my PC to the phone's document folder and did what you suggested (except .txt file) - but kept getting invalid password errors. It works now but I had changed the key while trying to debug this stuff. I am pretty sure that there are some characters that don't make it thru Phone Office unscathed or maybe Phone Office could add formatting - I did notice that it will line wrap on a dash in a long string but in a totally different place if the dash is removed. So maybe formatting gets added or maybe when copying, the dash gets removed thinking it was a continuation character. Maybe someday I'll get the energy to do some more experimenting but it does seem like this method will NOT work depending on the characters in the key which could be a show stopper if someone has no control over the key being used.

Thanks.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, this is an awesome forum. I had been underwhelmed by he other W8P forums I had found where many questions go unanswered (or worse). My personal favorite was a Microsoft support forum where someone asked if WPS was supported and the only answer (from a softie no less) was to ask what happens when you try?

I hope to become knowledgeable enough to give something back to this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos