Who said the Word Flow keyboard was great?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
...and I have the advantage of a much bigger screen (and also a thin phone, which you don't get with a slider-style keyboard handset).

The only reason for the bigger screen is so you can type better with the crappy soft keyboard! (unless you're a consumer and just watch videos and play games all day) And who says you can't have a keyboard AND a big screen? The difference in thickness we're talking about is 1.2mm (Pantech Renue vs. Nokia Lumia 920). Sure, there are trade-offs and I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. However, if your goal is accurate and enjoyable typing then a real keyboard should be considered.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The only reason for the bigger screen is so you can type better with the crappy soft keyboard! (unless you're a consumer and just watch videos and play games all day) And who says you can't have a keyboard AND a big screen? The difference in thickness we're talking about is 1.2mm (Pantech Renue vs. Nokia Lumia 920). Sure, there are trade-offs and I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. However, if your goal is accurate and enjoyable typing then a real keyboard should be considered.
That Pantech is not a smartphone; it's a feature phone.

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I used to use swype before switching to wp8 and I have to say that the wp8 keyboard is the best one I have ever used (I tried pretty much all of the ones available on Android). It's just so simple and easy to use. Not having swype was one of my biggest concerns switching from Android but that suddenly changed once I got used to the wp keyboard. I barely have to type anything most of the time because it is pretty damn good at predicting what I want to say. I think you just need to get used to it.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The only reason for the bigger screen is so you can type better with the crappy soft keyboard! (unless you're a consumer and just watch videos and play games all day)

Some people use their phone as a sat nav device in a car (or even walking around), and this certainly benefits from a larger screen. Web browsing (a very common activity that even superior non-consumers regularly engage in) is much better with a large touch screen. Taking and looking at photos...large touch screen...tick.

So yes, it all comes down to personal preference.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree about Swype. It would greatly enhance the platform. That said I am okay with the default KB, nut sometimes it's way off. Yes, nut. 😒
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Some people use their phone as a sat nav device in a car (or even walking around), and this certainly benefits from a larger screen. Web browsing (a very common activity that even superior non-consumers regularly engage in) is much better with a large touch screen. Taking and looking at photos...large touch screen...tick.

So yes, it all comes down to personal preference.
Here's a phone with slider and 4.3" screen.

MOTOROLA PHOTON Q - 4G LTE Android Smartphone - SMARTACTIONS - ColorBoost - Motorola Mobility LLC. USA

I'm not going to get an Android phone. I'm just saying it is possible to have a keyboard AND large screen. No, it's not as thin as a slab.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12