Who said the Word Flow keyboard was great?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I've heard reviews of any WP8 device saying the keyboard was great to type with and very accurate...but apparently this is not the case for me.

I just switched from a Sony Android device to my Lumia 720, and from what has been happening these past three days I feel like the keyboard isn't good enough. One thing that my previous Sony keyboard did was that say I wanted to type 'burglar' and ended up typing the keys next to the letters in burglar, like 'bithker'. It would recognise that as a typo and convert it to burglar immediately. However, this is not the case with the word flow keyboard. It does also recognise that I mistyped the keys next to the letters I actually want, but it doesn't correct it automatically! What? Why isn't any settings for the keyboard to do this? Sure, it auto corrects my words when say I typed the word as 'mkrning', but I expected more out of the keyboard. Also, another thing that I find weird about it is that it isn't uniform. That meaning that sometimes the keyboard pops out but doesn't give any autocorrect suggestions (i.e. in IE) and only gives suggestions in specific places like Messaging, Outlook, etc. And in some places the keyboard is raised: like in the messaging app where icons go below it. Other places there is nothing below the keyboard. This just adds to my frustration in finding the right places to type, how do I do that if the position keeps changing?

Does anyone else have similar problems, or is it just me? Any idea how to solve this?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Probably just you. All unfamiliar keyboards will take some adjustment to get used to it. My 920 is pretty dead on and I don't know how its able to correctly type what I want with my big hands but it does.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I've heard reviews of any WP8 device saying the keyboard was great to type with and very accurate...but apparently this is not the case for me.

I just switched from a Sony Android device to my Lumia 720, and from what has been happening these past three days I feel like the keyboard isn't good enough. One thing that my previous Sony keyboard did was that say I wanted to type 'burglar' and ended up typing the keys next to the letters in burglar, like 'bithker'. It would recognise that as a typo and convert it to burglar immediately. However, this is not the case with the word flow keyboard. It does also recognise that I mistyped the keys next to the letters I actually want, but it doesn't correct it automatically! What? Why isn't any settings for the keyboard to do this? Sure, it auto corrects my words when say I typed the word as 'mkrning', but I expected more out of the keyboard. Also, another thing that I find weird about it is that it isn't uniform. That meaning that sometimes the keyboard pops out but doesn't give any autocorrect suggestions (i.e. in IE) and only gives suggestions in specific places like Messaging, Outlook, etc. And in some places the keyboard is raised: like in the messaging app where icons go below it. Other places there is nothing below the keyboard. This just adds to my frustration in finding the right places to type, how do I do that if the position keeps changing?

Does anyone else have similar problems, or is it just me? Any idea how to solve this?

There are far superior 3rd party keyboards out there but stock ones are the best in overall functionality.

WP keyboard felt bad coming from iOS but after a week , it felt fine and now going back to iOS , I felt WP keyboard is nicer.

For removing keyboard , just press back button.

If u go to bing using search button, suggestions will be there but in IE , you are typing things in address bar (address bar doesn't get suggestions unless u type http and other stuff)

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming over from Swype which had me spoiled, but I find the WP keyboard to be one of the better ones used for manual typing.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming over from Swype which had me spoiled, but I find the WP keyboard to be one of the better ones used for manual typing.

I feel ya cybordroid. I'm a big swype fan as well. It is the one app I hope will eventually show up on WP. It doesn't even have to be the brand Swype. Microsoft can build it just as long as I can use my keyboard by swiping.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It is good , but as of all of MS software it doesn't receive quality enhancing updates .
the keyboard is awesome its just not showy at it , I have big fingers and my android tablet used to give troubles !!! , Word flow got used to my thumbs and now even though I see my self pushing a wrong key the right key gets pressed !
I also love how even in portrait the same keyboard shows up with the same exact placements. (No scaling = no extra learning curve.)
Windows Phone 8 keyboard tips and tricks - YouTube

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I find that the suggestion is kinda slow. like it would show up 0.5 second after I type half of a word. if it shows up instantaneously the experience would've been snappier.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I feel ya cybordroid. I'm a big swype fan as well. It is the one app I hope will eventually show up on WP. It doesn't even have to be the brand Swype. Microsoft can build it just as long as I can use my keyboard by swiping.

Agreed. I believe Android even built Swype-like functionality into their native keyboard, but I never gave it a look because Sywpe also saves your dictionary onto the cloud so even after ROM updates or recoveries you're not left having to re-add all your peronalized words back into the software. You simply login and all your information is restored. So although WP doesn't support the ability to use custom keyboards, hopefully Microsoft will do something similar to Google and build this into their native keyboard so we get something comparable. However, I wouldn't expect this seeing as how they've been ignoring a slew of other no-brainer features that could greatly enhance the platform. It's like Microsoft is operating strictly on its own agenda when it comes to Windows Phone, and the features we get are based solely on their own vision of what would make the platform better as opposed to listening to what the consumers want.

As much as I'd like to go back to a swyping keyboard that I could use with one hand while lying sideways, I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I believe Android even built Swype-like functionality into their native keyboard, but I never gave it a look because Sywpe also saves your dictionary onto the cloud so even after ROM updates or recoveries you're not left having to re-add all your peronalized words back into the software.

I'm another Swype fan. IMO after you master it there is simply no better way at the moment to get text into a phone. I find without a Swype keyboard on my Lumia 720 I don't even try to write anything other than very short emails (though that may be a positive for those receiving them :smile:). Swype on WP would be aaawwwsooome.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I really enjoy the WP keyboard, I only wish though after you'd go into your symbols that it would automatically revert you back into the regular keyboard rather than tapping "abcd." I find i only really use one symbol at a time anyhow.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I really enjoy the WP keyboard, I only wish though after you'd go into your symbols that it would automatically revert you back into the regular keyboard rather than tapping "abcd." I find i only really use one symbol at a time anyhow.

you can do that, when you need to enter just one number or a symbol, do this -- touch '&123' key and then without lifting your finger, slide it to the desired number or symbol, and when you lift your finger at this point, the desire number or symbol would be entered and the keyboard will return to the normal keyboard.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I believe Android even built Swype-like functionality into their native keyboard, but I never gave it a look because Sywpe also saves your dictionary onto the cloud so even after ROM updates or recoveries you're not left having to re-add all your peronalized words back into the software. You simply login and all your information is restored. So although WP doesn't support the ability to use custom keyboards, hopefully Microsoft will do something similar to Google and build this into their native keyboard so we get something comparable. However, I wouldn't expect this seeing as how they've been ignoring a slew of other no-brainer features that could greatly enhance the platform. It's like Microsoft is operating strictly on its own agenda when it comes to Windows Phone, and the features we get are based solely on their own vision of what would make the platform better as opposed to listening to what the consumers want.

As much as I'd like to go back to a swyping keyboard that I could use with one hand while lying sideways, I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon.

I guess theres a bigger market for that keyboard functionality than i expected. When i had my GS3 i purchased Swype, mainly because the stock Samsung keyboard was HORRIble! Although swype was cool, i wasn't overly blown away. Mind you i didn't use the swiping style keys (tried it for a while, didnt like it personally), primarily used the standard 2 hand typing. It did do a much better job of correction and learning my style.

A lot of people complain about the standard/stock WP keyboard but i find it excellent. Its super responsive, quick and corrects my misspelling 95% of the time. I've also had android/apple people also test on my device and they were surprised by how flawless the typing felt...one person even said they would consider getting a WP just based on the keyboard experience.

For myself, i dont really care if swype comes to WP...maybe MS feels the market isnt big enough to consider it a feature worth investing in? And again, if it was cheap enough to implement why not just do it? Hmmmm.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I guess theres a bigger market for that keyboard functionality than i expected. When i had my GS3 i purchased Swype, mainly because the stock Samsung keyboard was HORRIble! Although swype was cool, i wasn't overly blown away. Mind you i didn't use the swiping style keys (tried it for a while, didnt like it personally), primarily used the standard 2 hand typing. It did do a much better job of correction and learning my style.

A lot of people complain about the standard/stock WP keyboard but i find it excellent. Its super responsive, quick and corrects my misspelling 95% of the time. I've also had android/apple people also test on my device and they were surprised by how flawless the typing felt...one person even said they would consider getting a WP just based on the keyboard experience.

For myself, i dont really care if swype comes to WP...maybe MS feels the market isnt big enough to consider it a feature worth investing in? And again, if it was cheap enough to implement why not just do it? Hmmmm.

Swype is the 2nd most popular keyboard on Android, and even the top-selling keyboard, SwiftKey, uses a similar swiping method but has multilingual support so I'd say there's certainly a demand for it. It's more for the convenience factor of being able to type with one hand and using only your thumb, though there's videos out there showing that any speed improvements might be negligible.

Both these apps have yet to release on other platforms due to software restrictions.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use 3 OS's: WP8, iOS, and Android. I find WP's keyboard to be the worst among the 3. On my Android I use Swiftkey, which is my favorite, but I prefer even the stock Jelly Bean keyboard over both iOS's or WP's. Swiftkey predicts the next word with scary accuracy. I find the sliding or "Swype" feature, which isn't available on WP or iOS, to make one handed typing much easier.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
. Swiftkey predicts the next word with scary accuracy.

YEs, well of you have it configured to learn from your style in SMS, Facebook, twitter, etc...it will definitely know your type of writing style and words.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
You solve these problems by getting a phone with a real keyboard.

And by doing so you create other problems and limitations. Real keyboards might be the solution for some people, but phones with real keyboards certainly don't suit everyone or every situation.

I had a Nokia E71 for a while. When I moved to my first Android phone I found the on-screen keyboard was a lot slower for text entry than the E71. Then I discovered Swype. Now I can enter text at least as fast as, if not faster then, with the E71, and I have the advantage of a much bigger screen (and also a thin phone, which you don't get with a slider-style keyboard handset).

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
you can do that, when you need to enter just one number or a symbol, do this -- touch '&123' key and then without lifting your finger, slide it to the desired number or symbol, and when you lift your finger at this point, the desire number or symbol would be entered and the keyboard will return to the normal keyboard.

Thanks so much! You made a good day, a great day!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750