Suprising: WP8 still without root and interop unlock?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Infinitely more secure than a kernel from 2003. That and most XDA members have abandoned it as a wp8 device doesn't really need hacking for anything aside from pirating.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
WP7 had it, and 7 sold way less then 8. Why hasn't anyone on XDA hacked it yet? Is it more secure then WP7?

Not sure if it's 'unhackable' but it's security features are pretty tight. Also I guess there's still the question of if anyone can be bothered hacking it at this stage. Keep in mind WP8 has only been out for 9 months. WP7 will be three years old come October.

Here's some info on security of WP8: https://www.msec.be/mobcom/ws2013/presentations/david_hernie.pdf

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Infinitely more secure than a kernel from 2003. That and most XDA members have abandoned it as a wp8 device doesn't really need hacking for anything aside from pirating.

Well that debateable. People hack for different reasons. Piracy isn't always the main reason and there are lots of features I'd like to see on WP8 that are missing which could be introduced with a hacked version.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's 'unhackable' but it's security features are pretty tight. Also I guess there's stil the question of if anyone can be bothered hacking it at this stage. Keep in mind WP8 has only been out for 9 months. WP7 will be three years old come October.

Here's some info on security of WP8: https://www.msec.be/mobcom/ws2013/presentations/david_hernie.pdf
That tell.s me that those IE based interop unlockers for 7 will never work on 8... Same for the ZIP deploy glitch, marketplace chabger, and the flashing of any ROM.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Secure Boot is the biggest problem. There have been hackers working on it for quite some time and they all say the same thing. The OS is the most secure out of any phone. Secure Boot ends up blocking any chance they have any the only way to hack it is to find an exploit in the Secure Boot system.

It's not impossible, but the difficulty is unlike anything they have dealt with before.

Any hacker who has tried will compliment Microsoft. They have nailed security on this system.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Secure Boot is the biggest problem. There have been hackers working on it for quite some time and they all say the same thing. The OS is the most secure out of any phone. Secure Boot ends up blocking any chance they have any the only way to hack it is to find an exploit in the Secure Boot system.

It's not impossible, but the difficulty is unlike anything they have dealt with before.

Any hacker who has tried will compliment Microsoft. They have nailed security on this system.

If this is true, why in hell has Android and IOS been approved for use by many government agencies for their great security. OH, I answered my own question; government.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If this is true, why in hell has Android and IOS been approved for use by many government agencies for their great security. OH, I answered my own question; government.

A lot of the government stuff is done with Good Mobile Messaging. Not syncing with the native mail clients.... at least the groups that care about security.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Unless one adds security layers, Android has not been approved for any agencies that require higher level security standards. In fact, US Customs last year severely criticized Google/Android for lack of security when it was rejected in favor of IOS. As for WP8, it is in the same position as BB10 - they have not been out long enough to even go through the processes and many agencies are still stuck in spending freezes anyway.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the government stuff is done with Good Mobile Messaging. Not syncing with the native mail clients.... at least the groups that care about security.

I assume you mean Google Mobile Messaging? Regardless of that though it is also not really true. Some do use for non essential communications but it certainly does not count as "a lot."

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

the fed doesn't want wp, because there isn't a backdoor app, yet ? asuming you're talking about the us federal govnt.

KrightonX

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Customization isn't a marketing tool for WP8. It is what it is. Like iOS.

Android is power users, highly advanced nerds that want to tweak, move, measure, turn on it's head, everything about the OS to make it their own.

After 6 years, I'm tired. I need an OS that doesn't constantly have me feeling the urge to tweak.

WP8 is perfect.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of modification on android or how many cores you shove down it's gullet, it will never trounce wp8 or even 7 in terms of speed and fluidity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss