01-04-2014 07:59 PM
89 1234
tools
    F apple there sell gets most boosted from contract based system in USA and rest of world is stupid enuff to follow a merry cants(merry Christmas)
    I'm not sure why so many people feel this way towards Apple. I'm by no means an Apple fanboy but as far as I know they do their business fair and square (OK that may be debatable but that can apply to Microsoft & Google too) and nobody is forced to use their products. If they can sell their devices at premium prices more power to 'em! Microsoft would kill to have a fraction of Apple's success in the mobile world. And, to Apple's credit, their devices earned their excellent reputation.
    12-06-2013 10:16 AM
    I'm not sure why so many people feel this way towards Apple. I'm by no means an Apple fanboy but as far as I know they do their business fair and square (OK that may be debatable but that can apply to Microsoft & Google too) and nobody is forced to use their products. If they can sell their devices at premium prices more power to 'em! Microsoft would kill to have a fraction of Apple's success in the mobile world. And, to Apple's credit, their devices earned their excellent reputation.

true if there were no apple there would have been no smartphone.
    "Apple reinvented the phone"

its "iPhone"

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    12-06-2013 11:04 AM
    No one is taking anything away from Apple. They deserve the excellent success they are enjoying now. But a majority of people today buy an iPhone just becuase they feel "it is cool" to sport one. We call it herd mentality.

Purely from the product perspective , purely from the cost to value benefit , a high end Lumia or a high end Android offers much better ROI than an iPhone. But again , this is my personal view
    12-06-2013 11:10 AM
    There are many things WP does good , but there are many things it should still do good. I am hoping WP blue makes us say wow and I sincerely hope MS doesn't blow away this chance. Good to see that in this one year nothing significant has happenned on Android / iOS front ( am not counting finger print reader as noteworthy) , so MS doesn't have to play too much catch up. Just make your freaking update cycle faster ! I mean seriously GDR updates are good but they should have come in 2012 not 2013 Q4 !
    12-06-2013 11:15 AM
    Android in the Mobile world has become what Windows was in the home pc world. It is put on too many phones/tablets and way too many versions out there from dirt cheap to high end. So the normal Joe Shmo buys a cheap straight talk phone and expects the same experience as a Galaxy S4.
    That's where WP8 is doing a great job of delivering an equal enough experience across the price range of phones
    12-06-2013 11:33 AM
    Android in the Mobile world has become what Windows was in the home pc world. It is put on too many phones/tablets and way too many versions out there from dirt cheap to high end. So the normal Joe Shmo buys a cheap straight talk phone and expects the same experience as a Galaxy S4.
    That's where WP8 is doing a great job of delivering an equal enough experience across the price range of phones
    What do you say to Mr. Schmo who just bought a Straight Talk Huawei W1?
    12-06-2013 06:56 PM
    What do you say to Mr. Schmo who just bought a Straight Talk Huawei W1?
    You are trying to say that the W1 doesn't look and act almost the same as say a Lumia 920. It may have 512 but it still has the same feel and style still can run most of the games and apps. Where my girlfriends LG straight talk can barely download basic Google play apps, never gets updated for anything!!! And she is just short of having to hand crank it to get it started
    12-07-2013 05:27 AM
    You are trying to say that the W1 doesn't look and act almost the same as say a Lumia 920. It may have 512 but it still has the same feel and style still can run most of the games and apps. Where my girlfriends LG straight talk can barely download basic Google play apps, never gets updated for anything!!! And she is just short of having to hand crank it to get it started
    Android ages very quickly. But the idea is that KitKat will change that. I have my doubts whether it'll be as good on low end phones as it's hyped up to be, but we'll see...

But it's a bit irrational to get a new device and compare it to a 2-year-old phone. Of course the new one is faster! A new phone virtually always outperforms an old one, regardless of the OS. I currently have a Nexus 5, and it takes 2nd place to nobody in speed, smoothness, stability, and overall performance. You might be able to match it, but you won't beat it!
    12-07-2013 07:07 AM
    Google has been saying "this new version of android is optimised to run on lower spec harwared" since 4 year. Lol

But now as google is working to remove virtual machine from android. They might posses a huge threat for Wp and iOS

12-07-2013 09:01 AM
    Google has been saying "this new version of android is optimised to run on lower spec harwared" since 4 year. Lol

But now as google is working to remove virtual machine from android. They might posses a huge threat for Wp and iOS

My Nexus got Kitkat last week. it's just as fast as it was before, but, where I would normally have 15-20% battery when I got home at night, I now have 50% after 12 hrs of moderate usage :D they did SOMETHING right with this.
    12-07-2013 10:54 AM
    By your logic, the WP numbers should include Windows Mobile units which are still plentiful.
    I would like you to show me the "plentiful" Windows Mobile numbers. And no by my argument the Windows Mobile numbers should not be included. If you are trying to compare iOS which is made up of hero phones, old hero phones, and now the 5c it is a pretty exclusive product mix. Next comes Windows Phone in regards to product mix and finally Andriod where anything that can catch a cell signal and boot some variety of Andriod is an Andriod phone. In terms of raw numbers Windows Phone can do quite nicely without ever churning out an ocean of marginal devices. It really is trying to be in the middle. It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.
    12-07-2013 02:39 PM
    It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.
    You mean like the 520 and 521 which are selling for as low as $50? That's lower cost than any Android I've ever seen.
    12-07-2013 02:53 PM
    You mean like the 520 and 521 which are selling for as low as $50? That's lower cost than any Android I've ever seen.
    I've seen some android phones that were around $50 but they were awful to use.
    12-07-2013 03:10 PM
    I was trying to say that WP8 is giving the most balanced experience across the platform whether from a $50 phone to $700 phone.
    12-07-2013 05:23 PM
    I was trying to say that WP8 is giving the most balanced experience across the platform whether from a $50 phone to $700 phone.
    Yes, the WP8 experience probably has less differential than Android, but it's still quite a bit different. Even on iPhones there's quite a difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5s.

But still, with Android's reportedly poor performance in the low end market, how do they maintain their market share lead????? I've never understood that. Q3 2013 reported an 81.3% market share. It's still rising!

Evidently the Android experience on the low end isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If it was I don't think that so many people would keep going back for more.
    12-07-2013 08:27 PM
    People said the same things about Windows. Eventually PC hardware became powerful enough to iron out any performance kinks, and security was improved. The same is already happening with Android.
    tgp and xandros9 like this.
    12-07-2013 08:41 PM
    People said the same things about Windows. Eventually PC hardware became powerful enough to iron out any performance kinks, and security was improved. The same is already happening with Android.
    Is the same really happening with Android? With every version we hear that it's going to be much better, but after people have had their devices for a while it slows down.

Windows didn't reach that point until just a few years ago. Just 3 yrs ago people were frustrated by how slow and useless netbooks would be after a year or two of ownership.

Android is going to face real competition in the low-end smartphone market. Their devices at the low end are still slow. But people like the idea of still owning a smartphone. With WP starting to get noticed on the low-end, and being fast and smooth too, we could see some really fast growth for WP. Maybe way faster than most of us would think sounds realistic.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    12-08-2013 12:20 AM
    WP is making progress quickly. One year ago I thought it was garbage and I'd never get a device running it. Last night I bought a 1520 for $684. I also convinced a friend to sell his 5s and get a 1520 too. If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Sent from my GT-I9100
    loza10 likes this.
    12-08-2013 12:47 AM
    I would like you to show me the "plentiful" Windows Mobile numbers. And no by my argument the Windows Mobile numbers should not be included. If you are trying to compare iOS which is made up of hero phones, old hero phones, and now the 5c it is a pretty exclusive product mix. Next comes Windows Phone in regards to product mix and finally Andriod where anything that can catch a cell signal and boot some variety of Andriod is an Andriod phone. In terms of raw numbers Windows Phone can do quite nicely without ever churning out an ocean of marginal devices. It really is trying to be in the middle. It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.
    Every time you walk into a Home Depot or any large retailer you see employees holding those inventory scanners. Guess what? They ALL run Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5, depending on the Symbol model they use. Just because it has the Android or iPhone name doesn't mean it's the same device. FroYo is nothing like Jelly Bean except for the green robot. In fact, most apps nowadays are only compatible with GingerBread and up. A '53 Corvette is nothing like a '13 except in name.
    12-08-2013 05:43 PM
    Some of you guys remind me of some football supporters I know. Say they are supporters of a certain football team. They will also generally hate a certain other team. Get them drunk enough, and they will admit that it is more important to them that this other team loses, than that their team wins.
    I guess it demonstrates a feature of human nature - few things bind a community together better than a common enemy. It's much more powerful than a common interest. Politicians, of course, are well aware of this, and will often manufacture a common enemy if one doesn't exist.

Or to put it more concisely - it's not enough for us to win, our enemy must also lose!
    12-12-2013 12:50 PM
    Some of you guys remind me of some football supporters I know. Say they are supporters of a certain football team. They will also generally hate a certain other team. Get them drunk enough, and they will admit that it is more important to them that this other team loses, than that their team wins.
    I guess it demonstrates a feature of human nature - few things bind a community together better than a common enemy. It's much more powerful than a common interest. Politicians, of course, are well aware of this, and will often manufacture a common enemy if one doesn't exist.

Or to put it more concisely - it's not enough for us to win, our enemy must also lose!
    Yo Freud, if we win then surely our enemy has lost. If you're working on a thesis regarding primitive human emotions, go to iMore and have a blast.
    tgp likes this.
    12-12-2013 03:06 PM
    If you're working on a thesis regarding primitive human emotions, go to iMore and have a blast.
    Hmmmm, this is actually quite accurate!
    12-12-2013 04:14 PM
    Yo Freud, if we win then surely our enemy has lost. If you're working on a thesis regarding primitive human emotions, go to iMore and have a blast.
    You consider Google to be your enemy? I mean, personally? Freud would indeed have a field day.
    12-13-2013 11:01 AM
    Fred Sigmund is my friend, not an enemy. He gets me into Hooters! I don't know that Freud guy....Fred Sigmund | LinkedIn
    12-13-2013 12:12 PM
    You consider Google to be your enemy? I mean, personally? Freud would indeed have a field day.
    Ignorance is my only enemy, whether real or perceived.
    12-13-2013 05:41 PM
89 1234