01-04-2014 07:59 PM
89 ... 234
tools
    Ignorance is my only enemy, whether real or perceived.

No, narcissism is your enemy.
    12-16-2013 10:30 AM
    WP is making progress quickly. One year ago I thought it was garbage and I'd never get a device running it. Last night I bought a 1520 for $684. I also convinced a friend to sell his 5s and get a 1520 too. If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Sent from my GT-I9100

That's funny, seeing how the OS has been the same experience for 3 years. The only things that have changed are faster hardware, bigger cameras, and the version number. Still no separate volumes, no VPN, no way to organize the Start screen natively.

So, hardware is the only thing that matters?
    theefman likes this.
    12-16-2013 10:36 AM
    Some of you guys remind me of some football supporters I know. Say they are supporters of a certain football team. They will also generally hate a certain other team. Get them drunk enough, and they will admit that it is more important to them that this other team loses, than that their team wins.
    I guess it demonstrates a feature of human nature - few things bind a community together better than a common enemy. It's much more powerful than a common interest. Politicians, of course, are well aware of this, and will often manufacture a common enemy if one doesn't exist.

Or to put it more concisely - it's not enough for us to win, our enemy must also lose!

It's narcissism. The need to feel superior.
    12-16-2013 10:38 AM
    That's funny, seeing how the OS has been the same experience for 3 years. The only things that have changed are faster hardware, bigger cameras, and the version number. Still no separate volumes, no VPN, no way to organize the Start screen natively.

So, hardware is the only thing that matters?
    The differences between the original WP7 and the current WP8 are numerous. Even down to the very core kernel.

It seems that you chose to comment on something you know nothing about.
    12-16-2013 10:39 AM
    The differences between the original WP7 and the current WP8 are numerous. Even down to the very core kernel.

No, he chose to comment on narcissism, which he obviously has a wealth of knowledge about.
    12-16-2013 12:29 PM

And the UI experience is exactly the same. Having owned a Lumia 822, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The kernel is irrelevant.
    12-16-2013 02:44 PM
    And the UI experience is exactly the same. Having owned a Lumia 822, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The kernel is irrelevant.
    That's like saying that TVs are exactly the same because we still use remote controls.

BTW... the examples you mentioned were functionality related, not about UI. So I'm not sure if you really do know what you're talking about.
    12-16-2013 08:30 PM
    I never understand the point of this argument. Do you want a radically different UI everytime you get an upgrade??? I like the UI/UX so I don't want to change the experience, just make it better, which WP7 --> WP8 definitely did.
    12-16-2013 08:42 PM
    I never understand the point of this argument. Do you want a radically different UI everytime you get an upgrade??? I like the UI/UX so I don't want to change the experience, just make it better, which WP7 --> WP8 definitely did.
    Wasn't "staleness" the number 1 complaint against iOS? Android offers UI changes with just about every update. Windows Mobile offered changes between WM2003, WM5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5 as well. Same with Symbian and BBOS. Windows Phone won't survive unless changes are indeed made to the UI. Look at these very forums and there are dozens of threads that are OS-specific as far as improvements that are needed. Let's not even bring up functionality deficiencies.
    12-16-2013 09:48 PM
    Wasn't "staleness" the number 1 complaint against iOS? Android offers UI changes with just about every update. Windows Mobile offered changes between WM2003, WM5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5 as well. Same with Symbian and BBOS. Windows Phone won't survive unless changes are indeed made to the UI. Look at these very forums and there are dozens of threads that are OS-specific as far as improvements that are needed. Let's not even bring up functionality deficiencies.
    I think the difference there is that the UI had been the same since 2007
    12-17-2013 06:35 AM
    I think the difference there is that the UI had been the same since 2007
    I was just trying to make the point. There are those who want their UI to remain the same (just look at the backlash against Windows 8) and those that want options (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, etc.). Personally, I could care less. MFGs are going to produce whatever their marketing dept. tells them the public wants.
    12-17-2013 10:37 AM
    I was just trying to make the point. There are those who want their UI to remain the same (just look at the backlash against Windows 8) and those that want options (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, etc.). Personally, I could care less. MFGs are going to produce whatever their marketing dept. tells them the public wants.
    While I see your point, Windows 8 was a different scenario altogether. W8 had a lot of backlash because it changed the UI AND UX, while iOS had mostly UI improvements. Bringing a touch screen environment to non-touch screen devices changed the experience, which is why there was so much backlash. Aside from stuff like battery draining/ color palette differences, iOS 7 has been pretty well received (how else could it get 70% of iOS market share).

I'm not sure what the public as a whole wants so I can't really make a call on that.
    12-17-2013 04:39 PM
    While I see your point, Windows 8 was a different scenario altogether. W8 had a lot of backlash because it changed the UI AND UX, while iOS had mostly UI improvements. Bringing a touch screen environment to non-touch screen devices changed the experience, which is why there was so much backlash. Aside from stuff like battery draining/ color palette differences, iOS 7 has been pretty well received (how else could it get 70% of iOS market share).

I'm not sure what the public as a whole wants so I can't really make a call on that.
    I have a company iPhone 5 with iOS7 and I can tell you it's horrible. The battery life is very good but that's where it ends. The fonts are so thin and light that you can barely see them. From the lock screen, you literally can't see which direction to swipe. Hard-core iSheep will NEVER admit a Cupertino screw-up especially since a lot of them have been anonymously clamoring for a refresh.
    12-17-2013 05:29 PM
    The market share is actually still growing fyi

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    01-04-2014 07:59 PM
89 ... 234