Android's Achilles Heel

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
By your logic, the WP numbers should include Windows Mobile units which are still plentiful.

I would like you to show me the "plentiful" Windows Mobile numbers. And no by my argument the Windows Mobile numbers should not be included. If you are trying to compare iOS which is made up of hero phones, old hero phones, and now the 5c it is a pretty exclusive product mix. Next comes Windows Phone in regards to product mix and finally Andriod where anything that can catch a cell signal and boot some variety of Andriod is an Andriod phone. In terms of raw numbers Windows Phone can do quite nicely without ever churning out an ocean of marginal devices. It really is trying to be in the middle. It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.

You mean like the 520 and 521 which are selling for as low as $50? That's lower cost than any Android I've ever seen.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to say that WP8 is giving the most balanced experience across the platform whether from a $50 phone to $700 phone.

Yes, the WP8 experience probably has less differential than Android, but it's still quite a bit different. Even on iPhones there's quite a difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5s.

But still, with Android's reportedly poor performance in the low end market, how do they maintain their market share lead????? I've never understood that. Q3 2013 reported an 81.3% market share. It's still rising!

Evidently the Android experience on the low end isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If it was I don't think that so many people would keep going back for more.

imZadok

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
People said the same things about Windows. Eventually PC hardware became powerful enough to iron out any performance kinks, and security was improved. The same is already happening with Android.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
People said the same things about Windows. Eventually PC hardware became powerful enough to iron out any performance kinks, and security was improved. The same is already happening with Android.

Is the same really happening with Android? With every version we hear that it's going to be much better, but after people have had their devices for a while it slows down.

Windows didn't reach that point until just a few years ago. Just 3 yrs ago people were frustrated by how slow and useless netbooks would be after a year or two of ownership.

Android is going to face real competition in the low-end smartphone market. Their devices at the low end are still slow. But people like the idea of still owning a smartphone. With WP starting to get noticed on the low-end, and being fast and smooth too, we could see some really fast growth for WP. Maybe way faster than most of us would think sounds realistic.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
WP is making progress quickly. One year ago I thought it was garbage and I'd never get a device running it. Last night I bought a 1520 for $684. I also convinced a friend to sell his 5s and get a 1520 too. If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Sent from my GT-I9100

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like you to show me the "plentiful" Windows Mobile numbers. And no by my argument the Windows Mobile numbers should not be included. If you are trying to compare iOS which is made up of hero phones, old hero phones, and now the 5c it is a pretty exclusive product mix. Next comes Windows Phone in regards to product mix and finally Andriod where anything that can catch a cell signal and boot some variety of Andriod is an Andriod phone. In terms of raw numbers Windows Phone can do quite nicely without ever churning out an ocean of marginal devices. It really is trying to be in the middle. It is not trying to be as exclusive as the iphone but it is not trying to cater to every single person with two nickels to rub together like Andriod.

Every time you walk into a Home Depot or any large retailer you see employees holding those inventory scanners. Guess what? They ALL run Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5, depending on the Symbol model they use. Just because it has the Android or iPhone name doesn't mean it's the same device. FroYo is nothing like Jelly Bean except for the green robot. In fact, most apps nowadays are only compatible with GingerBread and up. A '53 Corvette is nothing like a '13 except in name.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Some of you guys remind me of some football supporters I know. Say they are supporters of a certain football team. They will also generally hate a certain other team. Get them drunk enough, and they will admit that it is more important to them that this other team loses, than that their team wins.
I guess it demonstrates a feature of human nature - few things bind a community together better than a common enemy. It's much more powerful than a common interest. Politicians, of course, are well aware of this, and will often manufacture a common enemy if one doesn't exist.

Or to put it more concisely - it's not enough for us to win, our enemy must also lose!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Some of you guys remind me of some football supporters I know. Say they are supporters of a certain football team. They will also generally hate a certain other team. Get them drunk enough, and they will admit that it is more important to them that this other team loses, than that their team wins.
I guess it demonstrates a feature of human nature - few things bind a community together better than a common enemy. It's much more powerful than a common interest. Politicians, of course, are well aware of this, and will often manufacture a common enemy if one doesn't exist.

Or to put it more concisely - it's not enough for us to win, our enemy must also lose!

Yo Freud, if we win then surely our enemy has lost. If you're working on a thesis regarding primitive human emotions, go to iMore and have a blast.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
WP is making progress quickly. One year ago I thought it was garbage and I'd never get a device running it. Last night I bought a 1520 for $684. I also convinced a friend to sell his 5s and get a 1520 too. If that's not progress I don't know what is.

Sent from my GT-I9100

That's funny, seeing how the OS has been the same experience for 3 years. The only things that have changed are faster hardware, bigger cameras, and the version number. Still no separate volumes, no VPN, no way to organize the Start screen natively.

So, hardware is the only thing that matters?

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

It's narcissism. The need to feel superior.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's funny, seeing how the OS has been the same experience for 3 years. The only things that have changed are faster hardware, bigger cameras, and the version number. Still no separate volumes, no VPN, no way to organize the Start screen natively.

So, hardware is the only thing that matters?

The differences between the original WP7 and the current WP8 are numerous. Even down to the very core kernel.

It seems that you chose to comment on something you know nothing about.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The differences between the original WP7 and the current WP8 are numerous. Even down to the very core kernel.

It seems that you chose to comment on something you know nothing about.

No, he chose to comment on narcissism, which he obviously has a wealth of knowledge about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium