longtime Android and IOS user Take on WP8

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So this is more of a general remark on what i think windows phone 8 biggest hurtle is. You may agree or disagree with me and thats fine just my two cents...

There is Nokia. The main WP8 manufacturer. Then there is everyone else (HTC, Samsung, etc). For the most part they all run wp8 and its the same across the board. However, Nokia phones have exclusive games, apps, and content. Here is where the problem is. On a closed platform like wp8 and ios, its hard to expand the userbase if one phone has exclusives not available to the rest of your models. Take IOS for example, if they had exlusive games for the verizon model that would lessen the expirience for anyone else looking to switch.

Microsoft has a great mobile OS thats being gimped by its own inability to get apps ported. Nokia has somewhat found a way around it but only works for nokia. So all the other manufacturers are screwed which means users are screwed. I have an HTC 8x for tmobile because it is the best wp8 phone that was offered but that means im left out of the exlusive apps that should run on all wp8 devices.

The blame is on Microsoft, not nokia. But still affects nokia in that they are selling wp8 as an ecosystem that not everyone can have.

Anyway, just my thoughts on what may be hindering wp8...

**And im referring to mostly the EA games they have (NBA Jam, etc.), not Nokia Apps like Nokia Drive.**

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I get your point. Some Nokia exclusive games and apps on my 8X would be nice, and your thoughts on the inconsistent ecosystem sadly are true.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

anon(5918101)

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I can vaguely see your point but here's what I think:
Nokia has exclusives not because developers have a liking for Nokia or msft secretly decided so but because of economical agreements, better support during the development of the app etc.
Why Nokia do this? Because, obviously, they want to be the best choice when it arrives the moment of buying a windows phone device.
Asking Nokia to release exclusive apps to other windows phone manufacturers is like asking them to do charity to competitors, it would be just wrong, economically speaking.
If other wp8 producers really cared about the user experience in their devices (instead of betting everything on android), they would make exclusivity contracts too. (or, maybe, come to an agreement with Nokia in making the "exclusives" available after a certain amount of time)

On the other side also asking Microsoft to remove from Nokia all the exclusives they have acquired would be crazy, MSFT would lose one of their most crucial partners.

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Im not saying they should take anything away from nokia. Im saying its microsofts fault for not getting those devs onboard themselves. So now we have Nokia WP8 vs All other WP8. No other WP8 manufacturer will do what nokia did because they have android to fall back on...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro