Try to use the Surface as a simple book reader. HELP

punkouter

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a collection of PDFs at c:\temp... so my routine now is to

1. Turn on surface.
2. Goto Desktop.
3. Goto temp folder and double click on PDF
4. Spend 2 minutes scrolling way down to page 485 in the PDF reader to find where I left off.
5. Read.

IT can take a few mins for all this.. is there some easier way?

Having the page automatically bookmarked somehow would be the biggest helper..

Id like to not have to download any additional programs but if there is a simple one that will help me use the surface as a easy to use bookreader for the metro ill try it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If you swipe up from the bottom, at the far right is a more button ... Hit that and it has bookmarks. The only pdf book I had already had predefined bookmarks or chapters. So I wasn't able to check to see if I could create a bookmark on a random page.

punkouter

May 14, 2013
Visit site
yeah.. I hit that and I scroll through about 400 bookmarks to find mind.. is there a way to set the page so next time the metro PDF reader opens the PDF it defaults to that page ? (Trying to find a use for the surface RT im barely using and so far reading on the metro seems the best way to use it if I could make it more convenient)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Try freda book reader? That or can't you choose what page to jump to once a PDF is opened? The normal Adobe reader allows you to "Jump to page" by specifying a number.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The $2.99 Pdf Touch app has "jump to page" scroller on swipe up/right click. If you close the file (swipe down, close) when you re-open it, it will be sitting at the page you closed it on.

PDF Touch app for Windows in the Windows Store

Adobe has Pinch Zoom out to get to a page thumbnail, or you can drag the scroll bar with the mouse (it shows page number on the left as you scroll) to scroll faster. You can bookmark in that.

punkouter

May 14, 2013
Visit site
ok ill try those.. I didn't see an option to jump to a page in the built in PDF reader and anyways Id rather it just remember the page I was on when I open the PDF

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

1. Turn on surface.
2. Goto Desktop.
4. Spend 2 minutes scrolling way down to page 485 in the PDF reader to find where I left off.
5. Read.

Id like to not have to download any additional programs but if there is a simple one that will help me use the surface as a easy to use bookreader for the metro ill try it.

Use Word 2013, it remembers your place. Reader remembers my place on SkyDrive pdfs too....

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ok ill try those.. I didn't see an option to jump to a page in the built in PDF reader and anyways Id rather it just remember the page I was on when I open the PDF

Have you updated the reader app? Based on my testing, the Reader app does remember the last read page. Also, I recommend pinning Reader to the start screen, launching it will show any recently read PDFs, you can browse files as well.

Oh, also you can pin your Temp folder to the directly to the start screen, save yourself a click. (Home tab in explorer, easy access, pin to start)

Another idea would be to acquire (if possible) or convert (google it) your PDFs to EPUB and open them in the Overdrive (free) app, which is a moderately better experience for reading books.

Radnaksi

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

1. Turn on surface.
2. Goto Desktop.
5. Read.

For now, try pinchig out and it will go into macro oberview of the pages. Helps you to skip 20 pages at once. Hope it helps... for now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon