How big of an update will WP 8.1 be?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking larger than GDR3, but smaller than GDR2 + Nokia improvements in the perspective of the end user.

I was under the impression the GDR2 was going to be pretty small (mostly bug fixes, Xbox music + video being one) and GDR3 was supposed to be a bit larger, OS add-ons. Then Blue (8.1) or whatever it's being called is the OS major overhaul to unify W8, WRT and WP. Whether it's a major overhaul or not remains to be seen but that's the impression I'm getting. I'm thinking that we'll get the larger tile option, hopefully better Skydrive (file management) and hopefully an explosion of apps as we'll be able to run W8 apps on WP.

Whether any else shows up before hand in GDR3 is a question mark, we're pretty much in the dark. As this stage GDR2 isn't looking like much and the only thing that's making it slightly special is due to Nokia's Amber, so if you're not on Nokia you're probably going to be slightly disappointed I think unless there's some surprise that hasn't been leaked yet.

sukimtk

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Imo gdr2 update will be all about usability, because that is more important, things like notification's, closing apps in multitask mode and who knows what else :)
And about gdr3 for that i hope its about everything, allover overhaul of wp8 ( synchronization with wp8/rt, and lots more :D)
This is my opinion and i can't think of the better way to go and MS is smart and they should fulfill our expectations and if they do that ppl will come closer to wp8 :)
Gogo wp8 :D

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Imo gdr2 update will be all about usability, because that is more important, things like notification's, closing apps in multitask mode and who knows what else :)
And about gdr3 for that i hope its about everything, allover overhaul of wp8 ( synchronization with wp8/rt, and lots more :D)
This is my opinion and i can't think of the better way to go and MS is smart and they should fulfill our expectations and if they do that ppl will come closer to wp8 :)
Gogo wp8 :D

I don't think you've been keeping up to date with news on GDR2. It's nothing special at all. Like I said, mostly bug fixes. It will fix functionality with Google services and bring about FM radio and other small bits but nothing special. You can read some of it here (bottom of post): Nokia

So there doesn't seem to be much to this update and from what little we know, GDR3 is probably going to be similar, small fixes and updates. It won't be until Blue that we get more advanced features and larger update pack.

So for a general roadmap -> GDR2 this summer -> GDR3 near end of year -> Blue first quarter 2014. That's the general consensus at that this time.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup, GDR2 = MS next revision of the WP8 firmware which is a small incremental like Portico was, enables FM radio and a few little things, "Amber" or PR 2.0 Is Nokia taking GDR2 and adding their tweaks like storage tool, double tap screen to wake, that SmartCam app or whatever it is called and things like that.

GDR3 will likely be similar to GDR2 just another incremental with a few updates, expect a few vendor things bundles in for a PR 3.0 release for Nokia and the next Major Iteration will be WP 8.1 and hopefully it will include thngs like DataSense for everyone......but to ask how big of an update it will be now is pointless unless it is answered by someone with insider knowledge at MS.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
After iOS 7 being revealed, WP8.1 MUST be a great deal, no?

Well I sure the hell hope so. If MS doesn't bring about the changes that are need to make WP better than what it is they will probably start to lose market share. There are probably many people, like myself, giving WP8 a go. Liking it in general but are not 'Fanboys' and are happy to go to something else if our requirements are not fulfilled. So in my eyes WP8.1 has to deliver the goods and hopefully it does cause I would like to stick to WP but it simply isn't doing 100% for me at the moment.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I sure the hell hope so. If MS doesn't bring about the changes that are need to make WP better than what it is they will probably start to lose market share. There are probably many people, like myself, giving WP8 a go. Liking it in general but are not 'Fanboys' and are happy to go to something else if our requirements are not fulfilled. So in my eyes WP8.1 has to deliver the goods and hopefully it does cause I would like to stick to WP but it simply isn't doing 100% for me at the moment.

My friend who switched to iPhone because Windows phone 7 wasn't there yet, as u said, and is enjoying it extremely because of what is available to her. And now she can get a, more or less, sexy similar metro feel on some occasions from windows phone that she loved so she is in her happy place. I think if WP8.1 brings about a kickass information center and organization of apps and a bit nicer interface when calling, like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5V7tZUL_4. Then WP, imo, will stand more of a chance :)

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
This has been a real issue lately that how big will the wp 8.1 update be. I barely have 1gb free . Maybe we will hear something about this tommorow @ build! /\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos