Potentially new/unseen feature in WP8...

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I've just seen some bizarre behaviour occur on my HTC 8X. While typing out a message quite quickly, I started typing the word 'not', when there was a pop up just above what i was typing in the message which appeared for only a second or so. It was about 2/3 rows that matched the theme colour of my device (blue) with different options in each row, for what i think was 'never' 'Newcastle' and 'note' or something along those lines.

This popup appeared just above the box where normal text suggestions appear, however it was only a third of the width of the screen i'd say, and most resembled the text replacement feature in iOS. I'm not sure if what happened was part of a planned update to the text replacement feature on WP8 or possibly the remnants of a previous version, but it was very strange to say the least, and i haven't been able to replicate it again.

Has anyone else seen something like this before? i'm going to try and draw out a diagram of what i saw.

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
conversation.png

This is as close as i can get to showing what happened. This isn't a case of me buying a used dev phone from eBay like what has happened recently with the 920, i've had my 8X since February and it was bought as new...strange. What does anyone think to this?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
what's the point of having that pop up when all of those suggestions are already on top of the keyboard?
that pop up can only be useful if it displays the next 3 suggestions hidden to the right to reduce having to stop and scroll

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with James8561, the list the popup is showing just seems redundant. As to why it's happening, well I have no idea. Never seen that on my 8X or on my 920.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The predictions come up pretty slow anyway I'd rather just have them find a way to speed things up than add more clutter

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the feature is/was intended to replace the current bar? I think the presence of both just confirms that this is a feature that wasn't intended to be seen and is probably experimental. Also Agent P mentioned that suggestions come up slowly - this wasn't the case here, it came up instantaneously as i typed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2