Shop Holiday deals at:Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Microsoft | Dell

06-26-2013 10:56 AM
87 1234
tools
    Skype is essential, but it's not important to most users outside the US.
    What? Skype is huge here in central Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Austria). It's becoming the number one way to make international calls!

^^ This! MS has this corporate structure not because they are incompetent, but because regulators forced MS to adopt them in the early years of the last decade. Only recently have these restrictions been lifted. Restructuring efforts started almost immediately afterwards, and are on-going. It will be years until consumers notice improvements however.

As it is now, Skype is almost completely autonomous. Skype will be organizationally integrated with the rest of MS at some point, but it will occur according to a plan that will play out over the next few years. Unfortunately, you can't reorganize a company the size of MS in just a few months. Until then, we will probably experience a few more of these unfortunate "moves".

I dont know about that. And really, they are one of the worst at PR ever. They make it so hard to defend at times, especially for WP users.
    I'm not sure what you are uncertain of or disagree with, so I can't really respond. I would agree with everything you said about MS making it hard to defend them, but I don't see how that relates to my statement that you quoted. Anyway, yes, MS sucks at consumer oriented communication (which is really just another way of saying "marketing").
    06-18-2013 12:57 AM
    What was the exact address you used? I'm going to stop being silent and really hold their feet to the fire. I'm tired of always being left in the dust.
    @skype
    @microsoft
    @windowsphone

Also find the announcement at blog.skype.com and leave a comment. Be civil as they moderate the comments before they can appear on the site.
    Marty Larsson likes this.
    06-18-2013 11:55 AM
    I did however the video message is shown as a link with code then we have to open the link and input the code to see the video message. Lol,
    Thanks, sounds like a great experience. /s
    tgp likes this.
    06-18-2013 02:53 PM
    Still baffles me that the Skype app on Windows Phone 8 supposedly sucks (according to you guys) giving that they own Skype. I even tested the video message thing today and sent one from my z10 to my colleague who uses an Iphone5. Works fine.. no issues. BB10 users even get 25 free video messages for the first 3 months.
    06-18-2013 04:20 PM
    Still baffles me that the Skype app on Windows Phone 8 supposedly sucks (according to you guys) giving that they own Skype. I even tested the video message thing today and sent one from my z10 to my colleague who uses an Iphone5. Works fine.. no issues. BB10 users even get 25 free video messages for the first 3 months.
    z10 sighting!!!
    06-18-2013 04:25 PM
    You've just described why Skype on WP actually does suck. The functionality you described, as well as other features like file share isnt available to WP users and WP didnt even get a mention on the Skype blog announcing this feature. The fact that MS owns Skype is just the icing on the cake.
    06-18-2013 05:19 PM
    UNBELIEVABLE. Windows Phone should have been the first to get that feature with the others to follow.
    06-18-2013 05:37 PM
    Its because of 2 things (am I'm not necessarily agreeing with MS on this either but)L
    1) skype is a separate dept of microsoft. One issue thats plagued MS for the longest time now, even though they are improving with it, is their depts are too separated, the WP team probably barely talks to the office team, which probably barely talks to the win 8 team, which probably barely talks to the xbox team...you know where I'm going with this.

2) its better for skype to get it out as fast as possible. What the easiest way to penetrate a market with software? Make your app on the biggest platforms first! Which means iOS/android. Sure WP users might be getting temporarily screwed out of the deal, but it will increase skype numbers the fastest by getting android and iOS users to adopt chat first which vastly outnumbers the wp market share. Even though WP I think is up to about 5% now, it still is much smaller than android and iOS. Its a number game unfortunately and they chose the platforms to make the biggest numbers first...
    06-18-2013 06:29 PM
    I think everyone is missing the point, its video messages.

Video messages...........who the hell has ever wanted to send a video message via skype? Who the hell would ever want to send a video message anyway? But say you do, say you come up with some reason, is your email broken?
    06-18-2013 06:40 PM
    ^^Its nothing really to do with the actual function that skype added to the other operating systems its the fact that once again WP8 was left empty handed by Skype a Microsoft bought company!
    06-18-2013 07:02 PM
    Sigh, so your complaint is that although its useless, you want it because everyone else has it?

Megh, i would rather they focus on baking skype into the OS like they say they will for a future release. Don't see the point in an update that doesn't do anything worthwhile. Better in my eyes to not bother wasting time when they could be working to make it a core function of the OS.

Guess im just weird like that i spose.
    06-18-2013 07:47 PM
    Kind of makes it silly now when people say google and other devs are unfairly ignoring WP when MS themselves seem to hardly acknowledge it.
    Absolutely agree. It's strange that Microsoft would sabotage its mobile business by primarily supporting its competitors.
    06-18-2013 08:47 PM
    Sigh, so your complaint is that although its useless, you want it because everyone else has it?

Megh, i would rather they focus on baking skype into the OS like they say they will for a future release. Don't see the point in an update that doesn't do anything worthwhile. Better in my eyes to not bother wasting time when they could be working to make it a core function of the OS.

Guess im just weird like that i spose.
    I don't see it as useless it just means if its their when i want to use it i can but atm i cant because we didn't get it! I've two friends that work in Dubai and the skype video message would be pretty cool to use because i use skype quite a lot when i ring to video chat with my friends that work there.

I'm just trying to say that it would be cool to get things in line with other operating systems you know? Would be nice :)

Plus i do agree in regards for it to be baked into WP8 that would be awesome ;)
    06-18-2013 09:36 PM
    Look at it this way. It would be like BlackBerry releasing an updated version of BBM to all other platforms except BB10. Or Google releasing an updated version of Google+ hangouts to all other platforms except Android. Or Apple releasing an updated version of their Messages app to all other platforms except iPhone.

Do you not see how stupid each of those scenarios would look? Well this is how Microsoft looks right now. Stupid.
    shahidw and vish2801 like this.
    06-18-2013 10:08 PM
    I don't think this means that MS is intentionally leaving out WP8. As it stands, 3rd party apps can't display videos as an option as a file to be sent. OS level changes first need to be made before video messaging is possible. That being said the implementation being planned for WP8 will be better than the other platforms and for that we shall wait to see what blue brings as it sounds that MS will make great strides towards the realization of their vision with this update.
    Kellzea likes this.
    06-18-2013 10:11 PM
    I believe in Microsoft!
    kokola95 likes this.
    06-18-2013 11:26 PM
    I don't think this means that MS is intentionally leaving out WP8. As it stands, 3rd party apps can't display videos as an option as a file to be sent. OS level changes first need to be made before video messaging is possible. That being said the implementation being planned for WP8 will be better than the other platforms and for that we shall wait to see what blue brings as it sounds that MS will make great strides towards the realization of their vision with this update.
    Exactly.
    06-19-2013 05:14 AM
    I don't see it as useless it just means if its their when i want to use it i can but atm i cant because we didn't get it! I've two friends that work in Dubai and the skype video message would be pretty cool to use because i use skype quite a lot when i ring to video chat with my friends that work there.

I'm just trying to say that it would be cool to get things in line with other operating systems you know? Would be nice :)

Plus i do agree in regards for it to be baked into WP8 that would be awesome ;)
    Is your email broken? :P
    06-19-2013 05:15 AM
    Is your email broken? :P
    Its nice to speak in person plus my friends work for fly emirates so they travel the world, so its nice to see the world through skype :P
    06-19-2013 05:20 AM
    I think everyone is missing the point, its video messages.

Video messages...........who the hell has ever wanted to send a video message via skype? Who the hell would ever want to send a video message anyway? But say you do, say you come up with some reason, is your email broken?
    I find it hard to believe that you are actually knocking this functionality mate.

Scenario: Your partner, kids, close friends etc are far away, abroad etc.. and you wanna have a face2face chat or send a birthday wish, congratulations for something etc.. via Skype.. unluckily for you they are offline. Instead of sending a text, IM, BBM, Email or whatever.. you instead record a video message and send which they would get once logged back on. The difference b/w a video message and a merely text message is so significant i find it hard to understand your point. Some people have family who are living far away or ill in a hospital or in the army fighting wars somewhere and it's little things like video messages and actually seeing their loved ones or close friends that makes the difference to them.

Maybe you're knocking it just cos WP does not have it but once you do.. you will realise that it is a handy feature to have.
    Last edited by BlackBG; 06-19-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Marty Larsson likes this.
    06-19-2013 06:42 AM
    Ahhh... Not again. We blamed Google for not building native apps for WP, now even MS not building apps for us. (i read posts telling MS paying ₹100k to developers for developing apps for WP. Such a non-sense. They're not even developing themselves on the first hand :()
    It's $ mate....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-19-2013 08:34 AM
    Looks like Video API is so dumb in WP and also storage management which don't allow skype to add this feature in wp version. Hell, when I open skype in my nexus 4 I see animated skype logo but not in my 520, it just loads load like another crap app. I mean c'mon what's wrong with this platform ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    kokola95 likes this.
    06-19-2013 08:58 AM

Do you not see how stupid each of those scenarios would look? Well this is how Microsoft looks right now. Stupid.
    You are looking at this from the wrong lens - WP is a minnow at Microsoft - they aren't going to make decisions that impact their major businesses (enterprise software/services) to support their small minor platform - the Skype team has a certain amount of developers - their job is to do what's best for that division not worry about the WP division. Now obvious the higher-ups could step in and make that happen but they will not - because it's not in the cultural DNA of microsoft. It's perfectly rational from that perspective.
    06-19-2013 08:59 AM
    Its nice to speak in person plus my friends work for fly emirates so they travel the world, so its nice to see the world through skype :P
    but you can speak in person. This update is about video messaging, something that's identical when emailed.
    06-19-2013 09:03 AM
    I find it hard to believe that you are actually knocking this functionality mate.

Scenario: Your partner, kids, close friends etc are far away, abroad etc.. and you wanna have a face2face chat or send a birthday wish, congratulations for something etc.. via Skype.. unluckily for you they are offline. Instead of sending a text, IM, BBM, Email or whatever.. you instead record a video message and send which they would get once logged back on. The difference b/w a video message and a merely text message is so significant i find it hard to understand your point. Some people have family who are living far away or ill in a hospital or in the army fighting wars somewhere and it's little things like video messages and actually seeing their loved ones or close friends that makes the difference to them.

Maybe you're knocking it just cos WP does not have it but once you do.. you will realise that it is a handy feature to have.
    Please explain to me how its different than sending a video clip via email?

It is a handy feature, but so is emailing a video clip. Something the handset already does.
    06-19-2013 09:06 AM
87 1234