Microsoft leave out WP8 yet again!

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
More and more I'm constantly shaking my head at Microsoft just when you think their moving forward they do stupid c**p like this! It really does lead me to wonder what they actually do in their offices when WP8 is on the agenda mmmhhmmmmm lets skip WP8 for another day. Come on Microsoft I've had 4 people convert to WP8 and they all love it but it might be the first and last WP they ever get when silly stuff like this happens, hopefully they have some kind of explanation for not releasing it with the rest of the phone platforms if they don't will that will just suck!

iririr

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
BB10 is using an android port....that's why we got it along with the Android version...but that's crazy that only platform left out is WP....

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As much as I hate this news and feel that MS is dropping the ball on development, this is simply not how I've seen it. The marketing push for WP8 has been enormous, I think I've seen more TV/Internet (Hulu, Youtube) as for WP8 than most other mobile products, maybe short of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which was also marketed heavily. I think some of the ads don't do a good enough job, but MS is DEFINITELY "pushing their product".

Last edited by a moderator:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
MS+Nokia combined US marketing budget for 2012 was to the tune of $200Mil. Apple mobile US marketing budget for 2012 $333Mil, Samsung mobile US marketing budget for 2012 $401Mil. Things may have improved in 2013, but I doubt MS and Nokia doubled their budget

As much as I hate this news and feel that MS is dropping the ball on development, this is simply not how I've seen it. The marketing push for WP8 has been enormous, I think I've seen more TV/Internet (Hulu, Youtube) as for WP8 than most other mobile products, maybe short of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which was also marketed heavily. I think some of the ads don't do a good enough job, but MS is DEFINITELY "pushing their product".

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand that Microsoft needs market share for their apps like any other developer, which is probably the reason WP8 was left high and dry with the most recent Skype update. But it should be worth something to not give users a good reason to go with another OS.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Most of the vendors generally follow this methodology to release products and services.

I won't be surprised if by year end, Skype on Windows Phone (ding ding 8.1) trumps all other OS in service and functionality since they all contributed in making Skype a better app for Windows Phone. :)

MS is playing very smart here, when on surface it might appear to be a dumb move not releasing the update for Skype when iOS and Android are enjoying (actually testing !) it.

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Its nothing to do with the marketing push that's been going well their doesn't be a day were i don't see a WP8 ad on tv, online or by other means. They just keeping dropping the ball with apps and the quality of them yes we have some great apps that people want although mostly through 3rd party devs, but wee keep getting left with sub par apps with a dire need of updates and other operating systems getting apps that run better and sometimes being last on the list to get an official Microsoft app last just seems ludicrous!

To be a fly on the wall at WP8! Get with it Microsoft!!!!!

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Most of the vendors generally follow this methodology to release products and services.

I won't be surprised if by year end, Skype on Windows Phone (ding ding 8.1) trumps all other OS in service and functionality since they all contributed in making Skype a better app for Windows Phone. :)

MS is playing very smart here, when on surface it might appear to be a dumb move not releasing the update for Skype when iOS and Android are enjoying (actually testing !) it.

The only thing the average person sees and cares about is that Microsoft released the Skype video messaging feature to every other major mobile platform except its own.

Whatever their reasons, it comes off as a stupid move.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

You may be right on the OS integration (doubt it though, this was the same spin they sold us on when they announced the OS, yet still no sign of it) but to not even bother to mention their own mobile OS, to even say "coming soon" doesnt strike me as something a smart company would do.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
More and more I'm constantly shaking my head at Microsoft just when you think their moving forward they do stupid c**p like this! It really does lead me to wonder what they actually do in their offices when WP8 is on the agenda mmmhhmmmmm lets skip WP8 for another day. Come on Microsoft I've had 4 people convert to WP8 and they all love it but it might be the first and last WP they ever get when silly stuff like this happens, hopefully they have some kind of explanation for not releasing it with the rest of the phone platforms if they don't will that will just suck!

It's not - you have to understand how Microsoft is structured and stop thinking of it as a big monolith - it's a very competitive environment where divisions are effectively run as separate kingdoms - so if it is in the best interest of the Skype team to release on those other platforms first, then that is what they will do - because they are tasked to be the best at what they do, not watch the back of other divisions.It's why the enterprise team is happy to do what it can to build a great experience on iOS and so on. Samsung is the same, the guys running the semi-conductor side don't give a crap that Samsung mobile is competing with Apple, they just want to hit their targets.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^^ This! MS has this corporate structure not because they are incompetent, but because regulators forced MS to adopt them in the early years of the last decade. Only recently have these restrictions been lifted. Restructuring efforts started almost immediately afterwards, and are on-going. It will be years until consumers notice improvements however.

As it is now, Skype is almost completely autonomous. Skype will be organizationally integrated with the rest of MS at some point, but it will occur according to a plan that will play out over the next few years. Unfortunately, you can't reorganize a company the size of MS in just a few months. Until then, we will probably experience a few more of these unfortunate "moves".

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
^^ This! MS has this corporate structure not because they are incompetent, but because regulators forced MS to adopt them in the early years of the last decade. Only recently have these restrictions been lifted. Restructuring efforts started almost immediately afterwards, and are on-going. It will be years until consumers notice improvements however.

As it is now, Skype is almost completely autonomous. Skype will be organizationally integrated with the rest of MS at some point, but it will occur according to a plan that will play out over the next few years. Unfortunately, you can't reorganize a company the size of MS in just a few months. Until then, we will probably experience a few more of these unfortunate "moves".

I dont know about that. And really, they are one of the worst at PR ever. They make it so hard to defend at times, especially for WP users. If there is any good reason to leave out its own platform, then they damn well better put that out there. Bunch of morons. Or perhaps, WE supporters are the morons for continuing to support them.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
From the Vista disaster to Windows 7 domination, I would think that Microsoft fans would have a little bit more faith.

Microsoft maybe slow, but the second time they strike, it'll be game over for the competitors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss