Microsoft leave out WP8 yet again!

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Sigh, so your complaint is that although its useless, you want it because everyone else has it?

Megh, i would rather they focus on baking skype into the OS like they say they will for a future release. Don't see the point in an update that doesn't do anything worthwhile. Better in my eyes to not bother wasting time when they could be working to make it a core function of the OS.

Guess im just weird like that i spose.

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sigh, so your complaint is that although its useless, you want it because everyone else has it?

Megh, i would rather they focus on baking skype into the OS like they say they will for a future release. Don't see the point in an update that doesn't do anything worthwhile. Better in my eyes to not bother wasting time when they could be working to make it a core function of the OS.

Guess im just weird like that i spose.

I don't see it as useless it just means if its their when i want to use it i can but atm i cant because we didn't get it! I've two friends that work in Dubai and the skype video message would be pretty cool to use because i use skype quite a lot when i ring to video chat with my friends that work there.

I'm just trying to say that it would be cool to get things in line with other operating systems you know? Would be nice :)

Plus i do agree in regards for it to be baked into WP8 that would be awesome ;)

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Look at it this way. It would be like BlackBerry releasing an updated version of BBM to all other platforms except BB10. Or Google releasing an updated version of Google+ hangouts to all other platforms except Android. Or Apple releasing an updated version of their Messages app to all other platforms except iPhone.

Do you not see how stupid each of those scenarios would look? Well this is how Microsoft looks right now. Stupid.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this means that MS is intentionally leaving out WP8. As it stands, 3rd party apps can't display videos as an option as a file to be sent. OS level changes first need to be made before video messaging is possible. That being said the implementation being planned for WP8 will be better than the other platforms and for that we shall wait to see what blue brings as it sounds that MS will make great strides towards the realization of their vision with this update.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this means that MS is intentionally leaving out WP8. As it stands, 3rd party apps can't display videos as an option as a file to be sent. OS level changes first need to be made before video messaging is possible. That being said the implementation being planned for WP8 will be better than the other platforms and for that we shall wait to see what blue brings as it sounds that MS will make great strides towards the realization of their vision with this update.

Exactly.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see it as useless it just means if its their when i want to use it i can but atm i cant because we didn't get it! I've two friends that work in Dubai and the skype video message would be pretty cool to use because i use skype quite a lot when i ring to video chat with my friends that work there.

I'm just trying to say that it would be cool to get things in line with other operating systems you know? Would be nice :)

Plus i do agree in regards for it to be baked into WP8 that would be awesome ;)

Is your email broken? :p

anon5657577

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think everyone is missing the point, its video messages.

Video messages...........who the hell has ever wanted to send a video message via skype? Who the hell would ever want to send a video message anyway? But say you do, say you come up with some reason, is your email broken?

I find it hard to believe that you are actually knocking this functionality mate.

Scenario: Your partner, kids, close friends etc are far away, abroad etc.. and you wanna have a face2face chat or send a birthday wish, congratulations for something etc.. via Skype.. unluckily for you they are offline. Instead of sending a text, IM, BBM, Email or whatever.. you instead record a video message and send which they would get once logged back on. The difference b/w a video message and a merely text message is so significant i find it hard to understand your point. Some people have family who are living far away or ill in a hospital or in the army fighting wars somewhere and it's little things like video messages and actually seeing their loved ones or close friends that makes the difference to them.

Maybe you're knocking it just cos WP does not have it but once you do.. you will realise that it is a handy feature to have.

Last edited:

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh... Not again. We blamed Google for not building native apps for WP, now even MS not building apps for us. (i read posts telling MS paying ₹100k to developers for developing apps for WP. Such a non-sense. They're not even developing themselves on the first hand :()

It's $ mate....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Video API is so dumb in WP and also storage management which don't allow skype to add this feature in wp version. Hell, when I open skype in my nexus 4 I see animated skype logo but not in my 520, it just loads load like another crap app. I mean c'mon what's wrong with this platform ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you not see how stupid each of those scenarios would look? Well this is how Microsoft looks right now. Stupid.

You are looking at this from the wrong lens - WP is a minnow at Microsoft - they aren't going to make decisions that impact their major businesses (enterprise software/services) to support their small minor platform - the Skype team has a certain amount of developers - their job is to do what's best for that division not worry about the WP division. Now obvious the higher-ups could step in and make that happen but they will not - because it's not in the cultural DNA of microsoft. It's perfectly rational from that perspective.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that you are actually knocking this functionality mate.

Scenario: Your partner, kids, close friends etc are far away, abroad etc.. and you wanna have a face2face chat or send a birthday wish, congratulations for something etc.. via Skype.. unluckily for you they are offline. Instead of sending a text, IM, BBM, Email or whatever.. you instead record a video message and send which they would get once logged back on. The difference b/w a video message and a merely text message is so significant i find it hard to understand your point. Some people have family who are living far away or ill in a hospital or in the army fighting wars somewhere and it's little things like video messages and actually seeing their loved ones or close friends that makes the difference to them.

Maybe you're knocking it just cos WP does not have it but once you do.. you will realise that it is a handy feature to have.

Please explain to me how its different than sending a video clip via email?

It is a handy feature, but so is emailing a video clip. Something the handset already does.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You are looking at this from the wrong lens - WP is a minnow at Microsoft - they aren't going to make decisions that impact their major businesses (enterprise software/services) to support their small minor platform - the Skype team has a certain amount of developers - their job is to do what's best for that division not worry about the WP division. Now obvious the higher-ups could step in and make that happen but they will not - because it's not in the cultural DNA of microsoft. It's perfectly rational from that perspective.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of the average person, who care little or nothing for the internal workings and politics of Microsoft. All they see is that Microsoft owns Skype, and Microsoft owns Windows Phone, and that every other major platform EXCEPT Windows Phone now supports Skype video messaging.

Explaining to them what you just explained to me will cause their eyes to glaze over and, before you even finish they'll probably start recording a Skype video message to you on their device with them saying: "See, I can do this on my iPhone/Android/BlackBerry. Why can't you do it on your Windows Phone?"

No explanation can really change the fact that this makes Microsoft look stupid.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

It is a handy feature, but so is emailing a video clip. Something the handset already does.

It's not about the functionality itself, it's about the principle of the matter. Microsoft releasing new product features to other platforms before their own makes people wonder why they should get a Windows Phone at all.

anon5657577

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

You don't seem to get it.

Look at it this way.. You intend on travelling to another part of the country but you only have the choice of going by land which would take 6 hours. Would you not rather have the choice of going by air that takes 1 hour? It's about having the choice and flexibility and not have to look for workarounds.

Instead of going oh damn! not online.. let me record a video message.. open a new email and attach it then send.. to someone who possibly gets loads of emails a day including spam and might check when ever they are less busy.. i would rather just leave a video message via the app i'm already in. Also, people are more likely to check a message when they see the Skype notification waiting because they already know it's more likely personal and from a contact rather than see 20 email notifications waiting which in most peoples cases, it's not personal as such just cos people prefer to use instant messengers such as whatsapp, bbm, imessage, skype etc much more nowadays. Loads of people even set their emails to check only every few hours cos they dont really need it immediately and saving battery life etc... I mean.. i use a z10.. get my emails immediately but i know 50% of the time it's something from some forums, something I've subscribed to, work or whatever which is why each one has a different led so i know which one I'd rather check immediately. However, If I do see the BBM icon, Skype, Whatsapp or SMS... definitely gonna check them first because its from an actual friend/contact and not just some random subscription or work (I can deal with work when I'm at work).

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Right, no, i still don't get it.

There seems to be two trains of thought here.

1) its useless but we want it because android and ios have it.

2) its a super useful feature and way better than the alternative.

Sorry guys, im not being obtuse, i simply don't see it. I want features i will use, i want relevent updates that bring stability, cool stuff, or new stuff.

If this is a relevant feature for you, then sure, i can see how not having it sucks. But, its not like you cant already do a version of it.

And if its not relevant and you just want the same update as everyone else, then.....well, im just speachless. Surely your time and effort is best used to complain about something else. Something we actually need, like storage issue. Or wireless sync via zune.

Seems like people are getting very upset about something that wont affect them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte