Introducing someone to WP8

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
My mom is still using a QWERTY Kyocera device on AT&T, but told me she wanted to get a smart phone. She wants to have access to Facebook, email, web browsing, and some games on the go.

I obviously stepped in and showed her a few phones. Lucky for me, she picked a Cyan 920! OH HAPPY DAY. haha ...She liked "The blue one with all the squares."

It's currently sitting on our doorstep for me to activate for her when I get home. I've already created a live account for her with all of her contacts and calendar entries. I've also linked her Facebook account so that when we log into the phone for the first time everything will already be there.

What are some tips you guys can give me to help her adjust to something so different? I really want her to enjoy the phone, it just needs to be as un-intimidating as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My mom is still using a QWERTY Kyocera device on AT&T, but told me she wanted to get a smart phone. She wants to have access to Facebook, email, web browsing, and some games on the go.

I obviously stepped in and showed her a few phones. Lucky for me, she picked a Cyan 920! OH HAPPY DAY. haha ...She liked "The blue one with all the squares."

It's currently sitting on our doorstep for me to activate for her when I get home. I've already created a live account for her with all of her contacts and calendar entries. I've also linked her Facebook account so that when we log into the phone for the first time everything will already be there.

What are some tips you guys can give me to help her adjust to something so different? I really want her to enjoy the phone, it just needs to be as un-intimidating as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Nice! I recommend you not setting up her start screen for her. Be there with her when she sets it up and maybe help her set up a few of the tiles. But it should definitely be something that she sets up herself. That way she will feel the same sense of attachment to her start screen as we all feel to hers instead of it being something that's foreign to her.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That's a good idea.

I am planning on sitting down with her and showing her how to do things by demonstrating on my phone alongside her.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
LOL, my Mom's PC took a dump a while back, anyhow, her brother bought her a new Win 8 PC.... I went to show her some games in the Win 8 App Store and wound up setting an avatar/gamer tag for her... Never though my mom would have a gamer tag.... She's only at 50 for her GS, but I guess we all had to start somewhere.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Uh oh.

It came completely discharged, and won't power on after being attached to wall charger for some time....

How can I fix this before she starts asking what is wrong and quits? Ha

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I would create some groups for her like family and friends so it makes it feel like she is connected to everyone

Sent from a device I love using Tapatalk 4

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Help her set up the family room to share photos, chat, share a calendar and leave notes. Not only that but rooms are cross platform with Android and iOS as well.

I'll be switching my mum across to Windows Phone soon, she doesn't use her phone for much so an HTC 8S or Lumia 520 would be good enough for her.

Last edited:

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, the phone was "dead on a arrival".

This is actually the second time I have received a DOA Nokia device. If I were in my mother's position, I honestly would be rethinking buying a Nokia. What a terrible first impression. My dad was already chiming in on my mom's new phone -"My iphone never did that." BAH.

Amazon was very helpful and we have another device on the way.. I am just crossing my fingers that we don't get yet another DOA.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
May work, may not - try holding volume down and power while plugged in. My 928 did this when I ran it completely dead once, and even after an hour on the charger it wouldn't turn on - just kept showing me the large battery symbol. Did the power/volume down and it turned right on.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, the phone was "dead on a arrival".

This is actually the second time I have received a DOA Nokia device. If I were in my mother's position, I honestly would be rethinking buying a Nokia. What a terrible first impression. My dad was already chiming in on my mom's new phone -"My iphone never did that." BAH.

Amazon was very helpful and we have another device on the way.. I am just crossing my fingers that we don't get yet another DOA.
Sorry to hear this. This exact thing (among other problems) has happened twice to my father. He's gone through 6 different 920's and has now sworn off Nokia. So has my mother who has had numerous problems with her 820. This seems to be a real problem with Nokia, I've gone through several 900's & 920's myself. My parents both wish they'd stuck with their HTC HD7's, which they never had a single solitary problem with. Even after my father's HD7 was ran over by a truck it worked fine. Wish I could say the same for Nokia.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I am really worried the replacement will have the same problem. This is probably old stock that Amazon has, and they are all probably completely discharged.

Does this happen every single time a phone is completely discharged before first boot-up?

I'm kind of embarassed it happened. I had been getting her all excited to use it, telling her how great it was.. then bam.. wont even turn on.

Help her set up the family room to share photos, chat, share a calendar and leave notes. Not only that but rooms are cross platform with Android and iOS as well.

I'll be switching my mum across to Windows Phone soon, she doesn't use her phone for much so an HTC 8S or Lumia 520 would be good enough for her.

How does it work cross-platform? It seems like it wouldn't work as well? Everyone in the house aside from me, and (hopefully) soon my mother uses an iPhone.

en0x#AC

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I am really worried the replacement will have the same problem. This is probably old stock that Amazon has, and they are all probably completely discharged.

Does this happen every single time a phone is completely discharged before first boot-up?

I'm kind of embarassed it happened. I had been getting her all excited to use it, telling her how great it was.. then bam.. wont even turn on.

How does it work cross-platform? It seems like it wouldn't work as well? Everyone in the house aside from me, and (hopefully) soon my mother uses an iPhone.

I don't think they have old stock... I ordered new lumia 920 red one from amazon 2 days ago and it's perfect... battery was almost full I have no issues with overheating over my old 920 from launch day... and it works as expected... even my battery is longer...

It was on the latest software too

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The new one is scheduled to arrive today.

I am PRAYING it shows up in working condition.

In the mean time I let her play with my old Lumia 822 - I taught her a few things, and that seemed to get her excited again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans