Windows Phone and its future as your main device

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I look online I constantly am reading about rumors of an acquisition, or other company's not interested in making phones because of the high license fee. Lack of support from first party developers because of the lack of users etc.... I love wp8 and my Lumia 920 but I swear it makes it so hard to want to stay loyal sometimes. The beautiful phone and software is unmatched to me. But I can't lie I get the occasional should I stay or go....What do you guys and gals think? Anyone have these debates between themselves?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
As long as there is no better combination than Nokia + WP8, I will not leave either.

I've used Ios (for two months) and Android (for two years) and there's NOTHING on those platforms that interest me. BBOS is almost unknown in Sweden and I don't think Jolla will become a big player, neither will Tizen on high-end.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Everytime I look online I constantly am reading about rumors of an acquisition, or other company's not interested in making phones because of the high license fee. Lack of support from first party developers because of the lack of users etc.... I love wp8 and my Lumia 920 but I swear it makes it so hard to want to stay loyal sometimes. The beautiful phone and software is unmatched to me. But I can't lie I get the occasional should I stay or go....What do you guys and gals think? Anyone have these debates between themselves?

I think its pretty normal to look at what your neighbor is doing and compare. I did it when I bought my first house, and when I chose my first cell phone provider, Sprint. (Man, was that ever a jacked up decision I hope to never make again)

But on the platform, I have not had the same kind of urges to abandon this platform because of what another phone had. especially if it runs android. I found that all versions of android, even though improvements have come and gone, at its core has not changed. Its not all bad because I like Swype a lot, free GPS isn't bad either but much of what continues to be added is either just glitz or of very little value long term. aka, junk food. Swiping my hand or "blinking" to change web pages is cute but my thumb isn't that busy.
Yeah, It seems cool but that functionality to me is a throwback to the red faced digital watch where it took two hands to see what time it is. inboxweb.jpg

Moreover, it still suffers from lagging no matter how many cores they stuff in it.

IOS on the other hand is well written code IMHO. Apps glide on that OS as it does on Windows Phone. Always has. But for me leaving Windows Phone would only happen if my priorities change. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I moved from IOS, and well.... I will stay with Nokia / Windows phone as long as they are still producing.

Look at where the majority of the comments are coming from. They are all Android producers, They have a large investment in the platform and will compete in any way they can by slandering other / downplaying other platforms that in the future be a threat to business. Nokia has been a powerhouse in the past, they have every opportunity to become that again, and it has the competition worried about the future. Microsoft has a strong platform, and if it gets going well, could be a game changer.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Do we have to do this twice a week? For the love of GoD, man, like what you like and quit worrying about it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Do we have to do this twice a week? For the love of GoD, man, like what you like and quit worrying about it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Whats up Bartdog, did someone offend you? Its like this, like sports teams, cell phones, like computers like sports cars even, get people talking about them. They are discussed from the place they were made to the position of the branding. You might as well accept it, participate or you can keep it moving, your choice.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I moved from IOS, and well.... I will stay with Nokia / Windows phone as long as they are still producing.

Look at where the majority of the comments are coming from. They are all Android producers, They have a large investment in the platform and will compete in any way they can by slandering other / downplaying other platforms that in the future be a threat to business. Nokia has been a powerhouse in the past, they have every opportunity to become that again, and it has the competition worried about the future. Microsoft has a strong platform, and if it gets going well, could be a game changer.

That is almost always where it comes from playa. But fish rots from the head. I can recall back when android first got off the toilet, they were mostly humble. They were open source and anyone could own and modify it. It was a good thing in my opinion and I wanted to see what was up. It got better and seemingly out of the blue, many in that open source community developed this very hostile and even provocative tone. They mostly hated anything that Apple represented.

What made it worse, the guy who once promoted, "don't be evil" could no longer resist the dark side of success and assumed the leadership of that hostile bunch. Google then began to do more evil by limiting free and open Youtube to those that did what they wanted. They began to kill off communication when it ended support for web mail from Microsoft. Microsoft NEVER pulled crap like this when it easily could have by stifling what API's could run on its desktop from Google but it didn't. Google got mad wealthy riding on the back of Gates, Balmer and Jobs for that matter.

But we both know why they have turned their sites on Windows Phone. Nokia / Microsoft partnership and the platform is growing.

briankiser

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, I am a big WP fan. I will be there when they make the last Windows Phone (or, alternately, they go boom and take over, like they did with Xbox).

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That is almost always where it comes from playa. But fish rots from the head. I can recall back when android first got off the toilet, they were mostly humble. They were open source and anyone could own and modify it. It was a good thing in my opinion and I wanted to see what was up. It got better and seemingly out of the blue, many in that open source community developed this very hostile and even provocative tone. They mostly hated anything that Apple represented.

What made it worse, the guy who once promoted, "don't be evil" could no longer resist the dark side of success and assumed the leadership of that hostile bunch. Google then began to do more evil by limiting free and open Youtube to those that did what they wanted. They began to kill off communication when it ended support for web mail from Microsoft. Microsoft NEVER pulled crap like this when it easily could have by stifling what API's could run on its desktop from Google but it didn't. Google got mad wealthy riding on the back of Gates, Balmer and Jobs for that matter.

But we both know why they have turned their sites on Windows Phone. Nokia / Microsoft partnership and the platform is growing.

Totally agree. The crap you hear like Nokia should go android is coming from android. Its like a Democrat telling a Republican how to beat him in an election. The point is to stifle and confuse. I'm the exact opposite of the op. I want to try out the new bb phone but Im not giving up my 920 because I am really impressed with WP. I can't wait to see what is coming next from Nokia. They're equipment is stout. Also, I just bought a new windows 8 touch screen desk top for my office, moved over everything to outlook, and shopping for a surface pro. IMHO I think MS is on the up swing.

krishna6233

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
wp is a kind of .........:eck: quite annoying

notifications n multi tasking is a joke ..........!!
i was watching a movie in Lumia 720 ..paused it ..minimized ..replied to a text ,...came back to watch the movie n it began frm the start ...WTF??!!! even a 800mhz android or my symbian E52 can do better than this......hhhhhhhhh

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There r shortcomings in the OS but which OS doesn't hav one. Yes first couple years have been full of stupidities, mainly from MS. They lacked direction or that what it seemed like till this June but the pace has picked up off late. The concept of unifying Desktop,tablet, home entertainment and mobile in a similar platform looks more promising now and all the areas would mutually benefit from it. I really like WP for its simplicity yet innovation. It can only grow from here only if MS doesn't screw it up big time. They only have to get basic stuff working like notifications, multitasking, file manager etc and the platform would pick up..I really like Nokia's commitment and energy here. I hope MS learns a couple of lessons from Nokia..

Zokudu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I think WP and Nokia make a good pair and as long as it is viable for me to stay with the platform I will. If Nokia jumps ship or MS abandons WP then I'll leave but I'm 1000% happy with my device.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've battled this almost every time, but with all platforms.

I know one thing about myself, and that is I can't sit still. But I'm tired of having to set things up again, remember passwords, arrange my home screen, etc. every time I move. I've tried all the other platforms out there (except BB10), but I find myself coming back to Windows Phone every time (HD7, Lumia 900, 822, and soon the 520). While this platform may not have all the latest apps and has its quirks, it brings a consistent day to day experience that seems more fresh than the other platforms (and less of a headache). Android was fun for about five minutes for me. 4.0 and up has gotten A LOT better, but there's still that app compatibility problem, and on my last device I was getting frustrated with how much time I was spending trying to get my home screens to look like the tutorials. iOS provides a great day to day experience (and all the current apps you can enjoy), but it got boring (and my battery on the 5 was dying so fast).

I think what finally hit me was two things: Windows phone was slowly getting the apps that were missing that I felt that I needed, and the quick & easy way that WP lets you see your friends on social media can't be beat. I'm going to stick with the platform and know that they are constantly improving and closing that app gap

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Amazing. A rumor and someone is getting ready to ditch? Let's say tomorrow Nokia said they were going to go Android, or resuscitate Symbian^3. Why would you ditch your phone if you like it?

Nokia has explained at length their partnership decision with MS. They would rather be the big fish in a tiny sales pond. If they went Android, they would be competing against many well established players.

People get all upset because WP doesn't do this or that, or have an official this/that app. Besides the fact that I'm mostly wanting a PHONE, show any OS or brand that doesn't have shortcomings for a given user. I'm REALLY PO'ed that Amber doesn't give me Wifi Calling or FM radio. Inexcusable. But what am I going to do? Only Android has WFC for TM phones, but I can live w/o it. (Actually, use my Nokia E73 if I travel.)

Andoid has a billion apps and WP only a million? I was relieved to find out I didn't have to scroll through a hundred thousand alternative media players, or city guides for the Hindu Kush.

It's funny how in 1998 with the release of Windows 98 with its mandatory integration of Intertube Explorer "everyone," individuals and nations and the EU were screaming about lack of choice, that such a move shows the evil intentions of MS. Now, 15 years later, which phone OS least has a shotgun in your mouth? Windows. The intrusion and swiping of your rights when using Drive, for instance, is mind boggling. Only the courts have stopped them from suddenly owning every book ever written that is no longer copyrighted. Look at the story here the other day about them kicking MS in the arse on an official WP Youtube app, after agreeing on it.

I gues the bottom line is I stayed with Symbian as long as I could, and if Nokia went Blackberry tomorrow, I'll keep my WP as long as I can. In fact, I'd go out and buy the latest and greatest right away.

Mi dos centavos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon