Can't connect to chat

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
tried. for a moment i thought it will work as i could see "Connecting to see who's online" after changing battery option . However end result is still same . "Can't connect to chat"

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Finally fixed it after trying all the info!

This is what worked for me.

Made sure my primary address on outlook/hotmail was exactly the same on my phone and email.

I also made this my primary Facebook email too.

Then I went into manage account in outlook and ensured that Facebook and outlook were activated for full sharing of activities.

Worked straight away, no problems so far.

So happy.

Before I did the above tried everything else i.e. Remove Facebook and skype apps, adjusted settings etc...none of it worked for me.

Now the real test is to see how consistent it is! Fingers crossed.

dikhunmekh

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I wont say issue is fixed, but I would rather say a work around.

Try the following steps as it is mentioned below. Make sure the battery saver option is off before you try this.

1) Turn of Facebook Chat.

2) Set Chat status to Offline.

3) Go to Battery Saver option in settings.

4) Turn on Battery saver.

5) Go to Advanced Settings inside Battery Saver.

6) Tap on each of the three options there from bottom to top one after another.

7) Come back and turn off the Battery Saver.

8) Go back to messaging and turn on Facebook Chat.

9) Now set chat status to available. It should get connected.

Try these steps as it is mentioned. If still it fails, you can add a step between step 2 and step 3. This new step is nothing but switching your device off and then on. It should definitely work

@Microsoft, plz fix this bug ASAP. Its a problem with your Windows 8. This issue has nothing to do with NOKIA or Facebook.

dikhunmekh

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Try the following steps as it is mentioned below. Make sure the battery saver option is off before you try this.

Try these steps as it is mentioned. If still it fails, you can add a step between step 2 and step 3. This new step is nothing but switching your device off and then on. It should definitely work

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, someone in this page mentioned about Microsoft account aliases. That reminded me, a couple of months ago, I created a new alias for my Microsoft account and made it primary. This would mean that the Microsoft account alias being used for my Nokia Lumia 920 is no longer primary. Long story short, after making it primary again, the Messaging hub finally works again. So, here are the few steps that I just did:

1. Removed Facebook account from my phone.
  2. Went to outlook.com to switch the primary alias of my Microsoft account. Make sure the alias being used in your phone is set as your primary.
  3. Waited for an email confirmation about the alias switch.
  4. Re-added my Facebook account into my phone again. But when it came to the page that asked to connect facebook chat to the messaging hub, I chose "not now".
  5. Opened Messaging hub. At this time, I realized that I had forgotten to set the chat status to offline and I noticed that the same "can't connect to chat" was still there. So, I simply set the chat status to "offline", and then back of "available". And then, VOILA! It connected!
  6. Lastly, I went to Settings and turned on "Use Facebook Chat". Facebook chat was successfully connected, and now I am able to see all my online Messenger and Facebook friends.
I do not have data plan, so I have always had my cellular data connection set to off. I have been using WiFi only.

Throughout all these steps, I did not have Skype installed on my phone. I am going to try to install to see if it will cause what will happen, as many have said Skype app is what causes the chat connection error. I will also see how many this connection will last, and I will update you again.

This is just a one-month update. Soon after I did my own fix last month, I installed Skype to see if it would affect the Messaging hub connection. I am glad to report that nothing wrong has happened. My connection has as superb as ever. As soon as I see someone sending a facebook message in my laptop, my Lumia 920 would ring and let me know about the message too.

I also have had facebook beta app installed for many months, and it doesn't seem to hinder the connection at all.

I have never played around with the battery saver, so I can't really comment on it.

I am not sure if this is in any way related with the main issue of this thread, but I also want to mention that I currently have 12 active background tasks. In spite of these, again, it doesn't seem to bother the messaging hub connection.

Hopefully, nothing will go wrong. I will update you again in the future.

nick109

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, so are you saying that even with Skype installed, Skype messages come to you through the Messaging app?
That is essentially what I've been trying to get to work, but the only notifications I get are from the Skype app, which doesn't even work well because some messages will not show up inside the app even though the notification appears and lets me see part of it.
I'll play with it a bit, but if anyone can figure out how to eliminate the Skype app for messaging that would be sweet, I hate using it, I'd rather use Messaging.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Guys,
1.Primary alias changes not helping me.
2.Uninstalling skype worked once for me but then its not solving the issue any more.
3.Battery saver toggle checks not serving the purpose.
4. Windows phone support can't help.
5. Soft Reset Not resolving.
6. Data sense disable also not solving the issue.

Am i left with anyother option . pls don't suggest hard reset.

Gengosama

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

It worked for me.

KooKiz

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Guys,
1.Primary alias changes not helping me.
2.Uninstalling skype worked once for me but then its not solving the issue any more.
3.Battery saver toggle checks not serving the purpose.
4. Windows phone support can't help.
5. Soft Reset Not resolving.
6. Data sense disable also not solving the issue.

Am i left with anyother option . pls don't suggest hard reset.

Same for me. Uninstalling Skype worked once. Turning on/off the battery saver worked once. Now nothing works anymore... I'm at loss here.

I've tried capturing the traffic with Fiddler, no request is sent when trying to connect to chat... On the other hand, a request is sent every time you set your status to "offline" (even if you didn't manage to connect).

Out of curiosity, have you merged your Skype and Microsoft account?

KooKiz

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've removed another app that uses push notifications (not Skype nor Facebook), and it has started working again. I'm beginning to see a pattern...

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

This one has surely worked for me . But since today morning i had to do it 3 times as my chat connection keeps going off . My bluetooth is switched on always. I have skype too. My internet is 3G .
But i am happy that atleast i have got a wayaround ,thanks to dikhunmekh for this .
I will monitor for 1 day and lets see how many more times the chat connection goes off on its own.

momoll

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've removed another app that uses push notifications (not Skype nor Facebook), and it has started working again. I'm beginning to see a pattern...

^This! I've been trying all of the "creative solutions" uninstalling this and that (skype, fb beta, blabla), fiddling with messaging settings and battery saver, making sure the windows account primary alias was aligned etc etc etc.. Sometimes it works, but only for a while. Allmost out of apps to uninstall now, so it would be much obliged if MS would shape up. They are obviously aware of the issue, stating things like "we're aware of the problem, working on a fix". But that is as far as MS outbound communication goes. "we are aware of the problem". This thread was started in June, and it seems obvious to me that the problem is how WP handles push and background tasks. Still hoping for a fix, but I'm loosing my patience here and regrettably find myself looking at other platforms. Think about it.. first Message hub was supposed to be integrated with skype, messenger, fb, sms. Then skype was too big a challenge to implement, then they destroyed messenger merging it with skype(I know that's not the WP teams fault, but still affects my experience), and now the FB integration. Wow, thats a good story for one of the selling points of WP. And don't get me started on the notification issues, toasts, tile updates etc.. I remember buying my first win8 Phone, thinking my poor win7 phone experience was due to early adopting etc etc. Seems like I've been going in limbo for the last 3 years, allways waiting for the next version where "everything" will be better. Sad thing is.. it's not, and I am loosing faith.

noahw

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got bit by this bug. I've been dealing with it for the better part of 2 weeks and every solution posted has not worked for me.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Weird, for weeks chat status was not working. Today, I did absolutely nothing differently with my phone and it worked flawlessly all day. Wonder if they fixed their servers. 8X VZW GDR2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99