Surface RT

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously considering getting a Surface RT but I've noticed a couple of "basic" Windows 8 Pro tablets have been released. Is Windows RT worth paying for or is it better to pay the bit extra and get the a full windows tab?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
RT generally has better battery life, cheaper, smaller, and comes with Office. Those are the only real benefits of RT. I love mine!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well. Let me tell you what I did. Bought the surface RT 64gb day one. Loved it! Fantastic device. But it wasn't what I needed. Now I have my Samsung Ativ Smart 500t tablet with and atom processor. The Samsung is what I needed. I am able to use visual studios and any other desktop application. It comes down to what you need. If you just want to browse the web, check email, music, netlfix, Hulu, video, some arcade style games then the RT will do fine. But If you want to do anymore than that get the full windows 8 tab. Keep in mind the atoms get comparable battery life to ARM based tablets(RT).

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm very happy with my RT, I looked at the pro as possible replacement for my laptop where I do my dev work, but at the end of the day I really wanted a media consumption device. The extra weight and heat from the Pro wouldn't have been worth the trade off.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The ASUS was what got me thinking of a Pro. Can't help feel the Surface RT is a tad overpriced. There seems to be a lot of suggestions that a big price cut could be in the off, if that is the case then I think it will be a iPad killer.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I put it simply: Depends on what you want to do?

RT = Content consumption, with minor content creation. Think iPad on steroids.
PRO = Content creation and consumption. Think Laptop/Ultra Book replacement.

I keep my Surface RT on the couch for when commercials come on TV, and I want to look things up. Or when I just want to surf the web, and do minor correspondences. I LOVE my Surface RT, BTW.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd keep an eye on the Asus Vivo Tab RT. Its the lightest tablet in the Windows tablet devision by far. I compared it to a Dell XPS 10 Tablet and Surface RT. Both were much heavier. If I got an RT tablet I would play that joker because there is no Atom tablet that comes with the light weight of an ARM tablet (at least theoretically, because only the Vivo Tab RT takes the whole advantage of the ARM platform atm). They still need better cooling than ARM processors.

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a Vivotab RT with the 8.1 preview on it and really love it. It still blows away the iPad and Android tablets I've tried so far. It can be picked up usually around $300 or under on Ebay brand new.

gagandeep3019

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,

Now windows RT is windows 8 but with less features.major disadvantage of buying windows RT over windows 8 is that you wont be able to run your any other desktop software , except for those which come with tab preloaded. Now I dont know why anyone would buy tablet to do heavy work. Just use for tab.
RT tabs will definitely have good battery life since they use ARM architecture.but it does not mean that one should buy it right away.

I wont leave RT tab because it does not run desktop software but because it does not have too many apps.and i guess i would buy tab with combination of smoothness and apps.
So my opinion if you just have to surf web and listen to music or do light stuff you can go for it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786