Nook for Windows 8/RT update

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Nook for Windows 8/RT has finally been updated with a faster, cleaner interface and some basic features it lacked, including a dictionary. Here is the list:

? NEW: Side load ePub and PDF files from the local file system.
? NEW: Add notes to books, highlight words using multiple colors.
? NEW: Find words or phrases in books.
? NEW: Lookup word definitions in the dictionary.
? NEW: Type in your library or the shop to instantly search.

Screenshot.24051.100000.jpg

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a rooted Nook tablet so I've bought several Nook books. It's good to see they are updating it but the one big problem I've had with pretty much every version for PCs is the table of contents can't be resized which is murder for programming books when you want to be able to jump around in.

That being said I wish B&N would release a Nook app for WP8 for when I am reading non programming books.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there is so much all of these e-reader apps could do better in portrait mode on a Surface. That's fine if they want to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio but having something like a note staking block at the bottom pinned or something like chapter bookmarks at the top would be great. They aren't taking advantage of the format enough. Nook's app is the most beautiful, but could use a lot of improvements.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
that's a good point too. Instead they should be educating users to swipe over the charms bar. I remember there was one app that had a one time tutorial that showed a pointer to swipe it. All apps should do that.

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't like all these apps starting to include a search button...

Good update overall, still waiting for WP support.

I agree on both counts, today's news that B&N is getting out of the hardware biz should hopefully accelerate their need to get on as many platforms as possible to remain relevant. And I really agree on the search point, I don't understand what so many find confusing about search in Win8. I think now that Xbox Music caved and added a search icon other developers are going to go that way to, next we will see gear icons creep in so developers don't need to worry about proper integration of the Settings contract in Win8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium