Thinking about making the switch from IOS

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Do it.

I've just jumped from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 520. I'm saving a small fortune every months and I'm loving the Lumia.

The obvious downside is the MS app store but I expect (hope) to see this improving in the coming months. All the main apps I use are there, the missing apps are just ones that it would be nice to have. The Lumia benefits hugely from Nokia's own apps like Nokia Radio and Drive, they are fantastic.

It doesn't feel like a downgrade either despite going from a top of the range iPhone to a bottom of the range Lumia. The Lumia is built well enough and is quick enough to keep me happy. Plus the ?40 a month saving is nice.

Dre180

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The thing you're missing here is that there has been flat our refusal from some companies to even consider making WP apps. Yes, apps take time but with the ability to port apps, though not perfectly to WP style, it shouldn't be taking as long as it used to. As for niche apps I highly doubt any will come. I'm a lover of coffee and here in the UK there's a great coffee app on iOS and the coffee industry is full of iPhone lovers. The company that made the app is only just considering releasing for Android, WP isn't even on the radar. This is the issue we currently have. WP needs a user base to make it get noticed by developers..

That is a very fair point, one i happen to agree with. What's worse is the fact app developers dont wanna develop for wp, and consumers don't wanna buy because lack of apps. The apps NEED to come first. Whatever microsoft has to do to make that happen they must. If they have to overpay they should. The only way people will switch is the 3rd party apps.

I do have to disagree with not getting niche apps in the long run. If they can build a large enough userbase, those imo will absolutely come. but as you said you need the people first.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I got a Lumia 920 from iPhone 4S and it was a disastrous experience and I sold it within a month to get an iPhone 5. Either there were no apps or games, or the apps that were on Windows Phone were a shadow of their iOS counterpart. Everything from WhatsApp to Facebook to Skype is pure crap on Windows Phone. You said you want quality over quantity, you won't find any on Windows Phone. It's a good OS with a lot of potential, but the apps are really bogging it down

Give yourself some credit; you hung in there for two months, didn't you? I just wonder why it is that months after you moved on you're still hanging around to take shots and make hyperbolic comments about how there are "no apps or games" and "everything" is "pure crap".

p.s. The apps you mention have all been updated. Facebook Beta has gotten several bumps, WhatsApp has a large update coming soon and Skype will likely see a another upgrade or deeper integration with one of the coming OS updates (more likely GDR3 or WP Blue than GDR2).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That is a very fair point, one i happen to agree with. What's worse is the fact app developers dont wanna develop for wp, and consumers don't wanna buy because lack of apps. The apps NEED to come first. Whatever microsoft has to do to make that happen they must. If they have to overpay they should. The only way people will switch is the 3rd party apps.

I do have to disagree with not getting niche apps in the long run. If they can build a large enough userbase, those imo will absolutely come. but as you said you need the people first.

The niche app is a subject for debate of course but most devs go iOS then Android then usually stop. They're not considering BB or WP. Most are happy to stick to purely iOS simply because they know Android users are not keen to part with their money. Though WP users are more like iOS users in this respect the problem is that there are simply not enough user base for devs to consider it.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been a Apple guy for years now and I made the switch to WP8 as soon as the 920 came out in Nov( I had had an iPhone for the previous 3 years). I really haven't had many issues. I've been able to get my iTunes library to sync, I have almost all the same apps I had when I had my iPhone, and I enjoy it much more than iOS for the Live Tiles alone. There is a slight learning curve and there are some times when you'll wish certain setting didn't take so many clicks and swipes to get to, but switching to WP is very easy overall.

It should be noted if you have an Xbox you're going to love WP8. The Xbox Music integration is slick and the ability to gain achievements on the go is pretty cool too. Also, Hubs are another fantastic part of WP. I love going to my Games Hub and seeing a list of all my games, with the last three that I've played at the top. The Music + Video Hub keeps track of things you've watched or listened to so if you need to reference them later, maybe to show or share with a friend, they will be there so you don't have to go back and dig through apps to find them.

My buddy just got the 928 on Verizon and I'm a little jealous. It's a little lighter and the screen has a much better picture. Hopefully, that's the one you get. The 822 is going to be quite a step down for you from an iPhone.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to tell you. Google sucks! Don't worry about the lack of integration now. Most of their stuff can be accessed through IE so you don't really need dedicated apps.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How many of your apps on IOS can be accessed from the web through IE? I know I was without Untappd for a few months after I switched to WP and I was able to use their mobile site quite easily. This could get you by if you feel like you really want to switch.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched from iOS. Still loving the 920.

Yes there are issues (wife doesn't have a PInterest app) and the phone sometimes burns through the battery, but the camera is very good and love the general phone experience. Back button is a must - not sure I could ever go back to an iPhone once you get into the much quicker navigation that button brings.

Personally I haven't noticed missing apps other than the USAA banking app, but I use it as a general work tool, web browser and occasional game box.

Email is excellent, much better than the iPhone. For instance you get an Unread messages view, and the Search actually works on the server when trying to track down that email from 6 months ago.

I think the phones look great, OS is refreshing and if you want to try something new, it's worth giving it a go.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and a Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone is more practical, but everyone notices my Lumia.

I personally was such a iPhone fan boy, then when I saw what the camera was going to be like on the 925 I reluctantly bought it on 3 and I am finding it hard to find reasons to pick up my iPhone.. Main reasons are apps, like Everest.. I seem to be a little nooby with the Toasts, some just don't seem to bother telling me where as my iPhone is instant.

But one thing is for sure if the next iPhone just has a little bit better camera and that's it, I might not even bother buying it :/

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My buddy just got the 928 on Verizon and I'm a little jealous. It's a little lighter and the screen has a much better picture. Hopefully, that's the one you get. The 822 is going to be quite a step down for you from an iPhone.

I'd disagree with this. I was using the 822 and upgraded to the 928. My wife uses an iPhone 4. I'd never have considered her phone better than mine. In fact I consider it subpar. The 822 and 928 are essentially the same experience, you just getting a slightly bigger screen, slightly better looking, and a better camera for night shots.

For me, it's the UI of WP that does it for me. I would take WP with zero apps over an iPhone with all of its apps. Not because the iPhone is a bad phone, quite the opposite. But the UI of WP pulled me in. I used iOS on a Touch for years, carrying a generic flip-phone. I had previously used Blackberries when my work paid for them, but when that ended and I was on my own, I was too cheap to pay for a data plan. I was also on Verizon when no iPhone existed there. I always thought when the iPhone came to Verizon I'd finally jump on board. But I didn't. I paid attention to early Android and considered jumping onboard the smartphone train with one of those. But they never appealed to me enough. Then I saw a WP7 commercial. That was it. The day Verizon got the Trophy I bought one. And I haven't looked back.

I get that there are apps that make the other devices appealing. I helped my mom upgrade to the iPhone because her credit card company that her small business uses had an app and a card reader. They didn't on WP (or Android, but I wouldn't have put her on Android).

Okay, this is the part where I have to drop the hammer. There is no such thing as an "essential" app. My recommendation to you would be this: Forget about the iPhone. Forget about iOS. Forget everything you know, or you think you know. Start fresh. Do not try to replicate your old smartphone existence. You are looking to switch because you feel bored, or constrained. Do not bring that baggage with you. It's like taking your new girlfriend or boyfriend to all of the same places you went with your ex, or watching the same movies and listening to the same albums that you and your ex discovered together. The whole point is to start anew.

This is the best advice I've seen on this site. And correct. You're getting a WP, not an iPhone. Forget the iPhone and everything it has.

My coworker got the S4 recently. She brags about an app that allows you to set different profiles based on your GPS, silence work email at home, set this to do that, etc. Okay, cool. Would I use it if I had an S4? Yeah, probably. But WP doesn't have it, so I don't use and I don't miss it. Because I like the Live Tiles better than that app's functionality.

On my iPod Touch I had a Redbox app, a Wells Fargo app, and a TV Guide app. I used them often and would enjoy it if WP had them. WP doesn't have them. Oh well. iOS has Battleheart, I loved that game. I'd love to play it again. WP doesn't have it. That's fine. I love Live Tiles and the UI and I'd miss that more switching to iOS than any iOS app I'd miss on WP.

And that's my personal preference and why I use WP.

michaelreid722

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I was going to write an extended post on why you should make the switch, framed in my recent experience of leaving iOS for WP in March, but Chris Kez and Dakranii pretty much summed up my sentiments. To keep it short, WP is not perfect but it makes using a cellphone exciting again, and that's what I love most about it. Best decision I've made in a long time.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd disagree with this. I was using the 822 and upgraded to the 928. My wife uses an iPhone 4. I'd never have considered her phone better than mine. In fact I consider it subpar. The 822 and 928 are essentially the same experience, you just getting a slightly bigger screen, slightly better looking, and a better camera for night shots.

Okay, maybe the 822 isn't a step down, but there isn't enough of a difference between it and an iPhone 4 to justify the switch. I'd spend a little extra and get a much better camera, larger internal memory, and bigger/sharper screen. If you don't care about the camera or screen and you'd rather have SD storage the 822 would be perfect. I think if you're gonna lose some software(apps) at least upgrade the hardware. :)

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone as an OS outclasses the iPhone OS in every which way. Between live tiles, social network integration, and the slick, intuitive UI its clearly the superior choice in my opinion.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm just surprised I don't have people on here saying come over, you won't miss Ios. You don't know what you're missing out on in WP8. But for some reason it feels like the opposite.

Honestly, Chris's response earlier nailed it...but to take this a step further. For myself, if someone takes my sole opinion on something and invests their own money...and they DONT like it i feel horrible. It's happened with past videogames, movies, books, music albums, etc. I personally think as many have mentioned here that although WP isn't PERFECT (at least we can admit it, unlike other communities), its the best available option for us smartphoners. I had an iPhone 3G, GS3, play with many other models here at work...my wife has the iPhone 5...at this point in time i wouldn't leave WP8.

It really comes down to preference and what matters most to you as a consumer. The best advice is to get a WP device and play around for a few days if possible to see if it meets your needs. The change from iOS is drastic, for some its a much better change and for others its a struggle. It doesn't mean the OS is bad, but maybe it doesnt supplement your needs. Just keep watching comparison videos, those are what pushed me over the fence finally...i watched every single youtube video out there.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Tbh, has long has you like the hardware, it should be good for you. You (normally) get 30 days to return a device; so you can see if you like the OS and if it fits your needs or not.

To quote Android Police;

"Windows phone is kind of like going camping, you can get by on it but it's lacking in some of the extra amenities you might be used to" - I think this is fairly accurate. The app store isn't has big has iOS's or Androids, but you can get by on it (they were mostly talking about the lack of google apps which they depend on like Gmail and the missing DropBox, etc). Eventually, the app store on WP will grow into it's own to quote them again (lol sorry) "windows phone will defiantly find it's place and grow into it's own". I generally agree with this; eventually WP will become an environment where first party apps are plentiful (due to the shear popularity of Windows on desktop), but currently it's not there yet.

And if you like the UI? Great! You've got yourself a new OS and Phone to love. ;)

Phani Chandra

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The downside i would say from the switch from IOS is the almost absent SSL authentication on WP8. I moved from an iPhone4 myself and have been having trouble adjusting to WP8.

Everything starting from the notifications to the response time is DIFFERENT and you will need to let go of any expectations when you move over and you'll be alright ..

I am still waiting for the biggest update Whatsapp is supposed to release- but again i am a small fry :D

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
By core apps i don't necessarily mean popular but essential to me I should say. As i mentioned definitely the google stuff, especially maps. I know about nokia maps and it'll probably be fine for the most part, but i'd like to have an alternative option at least from google. Some calendar apps i use such as sunrise or tempo. Vine, Scramble with friends, most financial apps are non-existant like seeking alpha, credit karma, manilla, etc. Big omission of financial apps for me. at least chase is there for me. Flipboard is another huge one, Bleacher report, Monster fantasy sports, ness. Those are the absolute majors and there are some smaller ones as well, that i thoroughly enjoy but use a lot less often. So while i can deal without the sheer number of apps, there are still many I use regularly that may be tough to give up. It sucks, because that is the only thing holding me back. I'm certain I'd already be on WP8 if it had them. I like everything else about the os much much more. I suppose the one thing that I can do is always get an ipad mini or something to still have my ios fix and have the best of both.

I'm just surprised I don't have people on here saying come over, you won't miss Ios. You don't know what you're missing out on in WP8. But for some reason it feels like the opposite.

For what it's worth, gMaps Pro is third party google maps and even includes google latitude

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from an iphone 4 to a 928 and my biggest issue are the apps. They don't have the same functionality. The ones I use are availble in the WP Store but they don't work the same. Not yet anyway and they should imo...especailly if MS is serious about competing in the mobile arena. I made the switch after a lot of research and hand wringing. I came over with an open mind and was looking forward to something new but after a month the honeymoon is over. It's sorta like when your girlfriend moves in... now that I've lived with her awhile, it just aint the same experience. ;) I find myself using my iphone on wi-fi at home since I get alerts on that for the social media I'm on and I'm starting to take it with me in the vehicle as an ipod to connect to my radio. I'm seriously concidering getting an iPad at this point...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720