With all that's happening with Windows Phone my thinking is that its prudent to at least look at alternative platforms in case I am forced to change in the future; google is out of the question so ios would be my preferred platform, so for all those who have used ios in the past how does ios7 compare to WP? There will be obvious differences like no live tiles but tbh my needs are pretty simple - good internet, email, music and a stable OS. Not into hacking, not into apps so its the core OS experience that matters most.

Another thing i'd like to know is how intrusive is apple into your life if you own one of their devices? Are you forced to hand over credit card details if you don't intend to buy anything from their store? Are they like google in mining as much data as they can from you? And how is the Microsoft experience on an idevice, can I use bing as my default for search for the entire OS?

Thanks.
    06-24-2013 09:39 PM
    Stick with Microsoft. You have to enter credit card information just to sign up for something free on itunes, though there are workarounds. Bing seems to now be the default on IOS. But why not get the real thing on a windows phone.
    06-24-2013 09:50 PM
    I use an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 right now and have no issues using Microsoft's services. I use skydrive to store my files, and Bing as my search engine with no issues on my rewards account.

My iPhone also has access to my Skype account with no issues. Even the smartglass app works just as good with my Xbox 360.

I also own Lumia 920 and while I love the interface, the functionality just isn't there.
    06-25-2013 01:33 AM
    Stick with Microsoft. You have to enter credit card information just to sign up for something free on itunes, though there are workarounds. Bing seems to now be the default on IOS. But why not get the real thing on a windows phone.
    Thanks, that's certainly not my preferred option but if there are workarounds it could still work. And I think its becoming clear that you don't need to be on WP to get the best Microsoft experience.

I use an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 right now and have no issues using Microsoft's services. I use skydrive to store my files, and Bing as my search engine with no issues on my rewards account.

My iPhone also has access to my Skype account with no issues. Even the smartglass app works just as good with my Xbox 360.

I also own Lumia 920 and while I love the interface, the functionality just isn't there.
    Thanks for your insight, it helps to know services like these work well on ios. I think I read the dropbox app can automatically upload pictures taken on android phones, can skydrive do the same on ios? At the moment the EOS and Nokia may well keep me on WP but its good to know ios works well with MS services.
    06-25-2013 06:39 AM
    Hmm. It really depends on what you want.

But, in my opinion, iOS 7 is not a viable alternative experience to Windows Phone. Provided you actually like the WP experience.
    06-25-2013 07:05 AM
    So what experience in your opinion does not work on ios that does work on windows phone? I'm curious because I haven't found a single one...
    06-30-2013 12:53 AM
    To be honest, I am shocked at that you chose WP over iOS given your needs are internet (safari mobile is more widely supported than IE), email (WP doesn't support exchange ActiveSync as good as iOS, and support to other services like Gmail is also poor compared with iOS), music (Xbox music sync is a total disaster; not all major services support windows phone but all of them support iOS; iTunes is light years better than Xbox music app; iTunes match cloud sync is way better and more reliable than Xbox music cloud collection, and it seldom creates duplicates). From what you states you need, iOS 6 is a better OS now, and iOS 7 will still be better.
    06-30-2013 01:04 AM
    Stick with Microsoft. You have to enter credit card information just to sign up for something free on itunes, though there are workarounds.
    If there's a work around, an extremely easy one at that, why're you saying he needs a CC for free apps?
    06-30-2013 05:15 AM
    To be honest, I am shocked at that you chose WP over iOS given your needs are internet (safari mobile is more widely supported than IE), email (WP doesn't support exchange ActiveSync as good as iOS, and support to other services like Gmail is also poor compared with iOS), music (Xbox music sync is a total disaster; not all major services support windows phone but all of them support iOS; iTunes is light years better than Xbox music app; iTunes match cloud sync is way better and more reliable than Xbox music cloud collection, and it seldom creates duplicates). From what you states you need, iOS 6 is a better OS now, and iOS 7 will still be better.
    This is pretty much the same conclusion i have come to. I so want it to succeed too. The interface is so dang cool.
    06-30-2013 05:22 AM