Your Thoughts on the Windows 8.1 Preview

will c1

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I"m still downloading but have read that there are or will be "motion backgrounds" like a dragon. Guess I have to wait unless someone has already searched for it.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Someone mentioned that if u update to the 8.1 Preview from pro, you won't lose your apps or software, but when u update to the official release you will.

My question is, if I update from 8.0 to Official 8.1 in a few months, will I still lose everything and have to reinstall apps and software?

m0rf3us

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using 8.1 on my main device for about 8 hours now. So far, love the new changes, particularly when opening a new app from another one (i.e. web link from email, playing music to my xbox snaps both the music and smartglass apps, etc.). Downsides: The instant messaging app is no longer provided with the Calendar, People, Mail app bundle. IE11 is also a little shaky. Having trouble with video playback on CNET and sometimes site options don't work. To be honest, at this point, I almost prefer IE10 to this, except for the multi window aspect and folders in favorites.

In all, stable from what I can see. Some apps are little shaky (IE11, Games, to name two). Kind of wish they left the Messages app...and by kind of, they should've left it alone.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So far I have high hopes for 8.1 final. I would warn people who plan on putting this on their primary device: not everything works. Now, it could just be me. But, the official twitter app, as well as tweetro, are almost unusable. The timeline blanks out when scrolling, and jitters like crazy. MetroTube locks up every time I try to load it. Microsoft warned that not all 3rd party apps would work right off the bat, so I'm not surprised.

I love the extra tile sizes. The new search takes some getting used to, but I like it. Losing the messaging app sucks, but I guess we all new this was coming as we move towards Skype. I much prefer the old IE with the tabs up top and the favorites on the bottom.

Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am a happy camper now - I like it.

Although it somehow broke my Google Talk app. (desktop client)

Nothing majorly borked here, although it looks like (for me at least) People accounts won't stick.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Someone mentioned that if u update to the 8.1 Preview from pro, you won't lose your apps or software, but when u update to the official release you will.

My question is, if I update from 8.0 to Official 8.1 in a few months, will I still lose everything and have to reinstall apps and software?
I would hope not. Microsoft would really be dumb if it did that.

The impression I get is that if one updates from official 8.0 to official 8.1 he will not lose any apps/software.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So far I have high hopes for 8.1 final. I would warn people who plan on putting this on their primary device: not everything works. Now, it could just be me. But, the official twitter app, as well as tweetro, are almost unusable. The timeline blanks out when scrolling, and jitters like crazy. MetroTube locks up every time I try to load it. Microsoft warned that not all 3rd party apps would work right off the bat, so I'm not surprised.

I love the extra tile sizes. The new search takes some getting used to, but I like it. Losing the messaging app sucks, but I guess we all new this was coming as we move towards Skype. I much prefer the old IE with the tabs up top and the favorites on the bottom.

Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.

I'm having the same experience. Lots of jittery scrolling in metro apps. The typing lag in Internet Explorer for something like this Response is almost unbearable. I am literally sitting here watching the words appear on my screen in slow motion.

m0rf3us

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, as jmerrey pointed out, don't expect everything to work perfectly. It is functional, not perfect. Even some of Microsoft's own apps are a bit buggy. All in all, though, I'm loving the new features and cannot wait for the full version in a few months.

Question: Can we expect updates to 8.1 as they're made? Or will they all be bundled into the full version?

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, as jmerrey pointed out, don't expect everything to work perfectly. It is functional, not perfect. Even some of Microsoft's own apps are a bit buggy. All in all, though, I'm loving the new features and cannot wait for the full version in a few months.

Question: Can we expect updates to 8.1 as they're made? Or will they all be bundled into the full version?

I have gotten some updates to the preview already, but I haven't looked into exactly what they were just yet. Idk what they would do..

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I did an app update scan, and a regular update scan, right after 8.1 installed, and there were numerous updates available, on both sides.

Honestly, I hope MS plans on updating this preview build frequently over the next few months. I would assume the 3rd party app devs will updates their apps as well,

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that you can't update from 8.1 preview to full blown 8.1 after it comes?
Some people says you can't some people says you can, it's just confusing and i can't find an official source who will convince me.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people have been reporting some issues. Be sure that you ran the file on Microsoft's official page and restarted your PC. An update should appear in the store! Let us know if you have any more details.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb